WIFI Help

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
My router is situated at one of my house, the end I am normally in the most. The problem is the garage gets virtually no service.

Here is my not to scale map of my coverage.

iRy8ZFj.jpg

My house is about 50x25 and the garage is about 20x20

I am currently using the D-Link Wireless N 600 Mbps Home Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Gigabit Router (DIR-826L).

Thoughts on the best way to fix this? Better router, AP, Bridge, Repeater? I am going to move it to a slightly more central location, but I am still unsure if the garage will be covered.

Thanks,

John

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
That involves rewiring.... I get that part and I am fine with it. Comcast dropped the line at the end of the house which is why it is there. I have a spot about 10 feet towards the garage to put it but after that I run out of hiding spots and 10 feet isn't much.... I don't want it sitting in the middle of my living room. LOL

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
One simple thing to try is to raise your router up as high as you can.
For example, if it's sitting on a desk, put it up on a high bookshelf instead.
Also, if it has antennas, be sure they're positioned so they're vertical.

This might give you just enough extra so it will work in the garage.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Router moved 25 feet towards the garage. It is now basically centered in the house. I still have craptastic signal on one half of the garage and really slow signal on the other.

Time for plan B. Gotta buy some hardware.

Do we think an AC router would help or should I go with some sort of extender?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Router moved 25 feet towards the garage. It is now basically centered in the house. I still have craptastic signal on one half of the garage and really slow signal on the other.

Time for plan B. Gotta buy some hardware.

Do we think an AC router would help or should I go with some sort of extender?

Ac router should help. Plus you can run 5ghz and 2.4ghz.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
But for realsies...

If you placed the router in the center of your house and the coverage is still shit, you may want to add a repeater router in/near the garage to repeat that signal to the rest of the house/garage/yard.

Or, looking at the router you have, you need to buy a beefier router with external antennae. Those enclosed routers (brand aside as Linksys does the same "UFO" style antenna-less designs) have terrible coverage except inside the house and immediately near it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
But for realsies...

If you placed the router in the center of your house and the coverage is still shit, you may want to add a repeater router in/near the garage to repeat that signal to the rest of the house/garage/yard.

Or, looking at the router you have, you need to buy a beefier router with more external antennae. Those enclosed routers (brand aside as Linksys does the same "UFO" style antenna-less designs) have terrible coverage except inside the house and immediately near it.

My last linksys was ufo and I was disappointed. External antenna for sure

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info