My Childhood Home - Remodeling

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Figured Id start a "build thread" for this. My Dad designed my house with his architect friend and was the GC for the build. The house was completed in 87 and has 4 bd and 2.1 ba, 2 car garage, and full basement. Its a very different layout and there are actually 6 different levels in the house, like a split level, but not the typical design. Anyway, my dad was talking about selling it a couple years ago as he was living in it alone and was sick of maintaining it. I moved my family in with him for a while to save some money, and finally he got an apartment and moved out about a month ago. Almost all the paint and floors are original from 87. Carpets shot, kitchen laminate junk tile trashed, drywall repairs as far as the eye can see. lol The ceilings are vaulted in the master bed and bath, kitchen, dining, living and sun rooms. Flashings are buckled and popping in areas, esp around the skylights, cracks in drywall from shifting, etc. Luckily the foundation is solid, had my buddy it he industry inspect it and was shocked there are literally no cracks in it. Bad news is the attic has some venting issues, he suspects from insulation blocking the soffits, so thats on the long list of work for me to do over the next month. I have never been good at mudding dry wall, but have learned some better technique from my friends and its moving along. However, I am not looking forward to doing the areas 30ft up or where we are going to need to build some scaffolding.

So far we have got the master painted and am working on the loft. Im planning to order the carpet tonight for the bedrooms and loft and want to get all that painted before the carpets get installed. We decided on Brazilian Walnut for the kitchen and living room, but that will be the last thing we install.

This will all be by far the most extensive interior home improvement project I have undertaken to date and am really looking forward to making the home I grew up in my own and watching my kids grow up in it. Its awesome to have your son in your old room and playing with the same toys in the same place you did for years. :fth:

Ill try to update this as we make progress.

Now some pics:

Master bed and bath:

Keeping the help quiet:

Last edited:

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Baby helper:

Even got the wife working:

This looks like a lot of work

Doing a rust paint in this hallway by the foyer:

Kinda like this:
86c7ff0963f761a91e8f3e9e4a9c2fd7.jpg

30 years of grime! ewww

Sweet temp kitchen table. lolol

fml

Last edited:

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL

Yep, entrance is about 4ft above ground, thats the main level, then the sunroom is 2 steps down, bedrooms are at a level about 5 steps up, then the loft is above the living room and kitchen. The upper basement is finished and about 1000 sqft and then the other 1500 sq ft is 5 steps lower and the workshop and storage and laundry, etc. It really sucks when living in the spare bedroom up on the loft level and have to do laundry in the lower basement. lol

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Thanks, I have always loved it and am stoked its finally mine to customize how I always envisioned it. This is stage one. Stage 2 will be completely gutting the master bath and then the kitchen. Want to knockout the wall between it and the living room so I can see the tv while I cook and just leave some beefy wood posts with a brick base that matches the fireplace. blah blah im rambling. lol

If I get it all done I was thinking about throwing a TCG xmas/new years party if I got enough interest.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I was expecting some dilapidated, old shack and you actually post a nice house in need of some basic remodeling. Maybe the $700,000 80 year old 1 bedroom cabins out here have ruined my house judgement but that house looks great. :rofl:

haha Yeah its been taken care of, just need a refresh for now. I want to do much more, but this shit gets expensive quick. Plus, since I am going to be here a long time I want to use the best stuff so I only have to do it once.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
Nice!

Any plans for updating the trim as well? My whole house has trim from the 70's and 80's in it that I'm replacing as I update room by room. (you also get to avoid taping off all the trim) ;)

I thought about it, and want to, but with that I would want to do the doors, and solid wood doors and hardware are out of the budget at the moment. Plus the railings surrounding the loft I am undecided if I want to refinish them or replace with a more modern style and would want them to match the trim. I have been battling keeping this project from spit-balling. I could blink and spend $100k between this stuff and the kitchen and bath and can't do all that right now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info