Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
:bowrofl:

8AlSjGj.jpg

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
I don't know is not really what I was thinking. Maybe I should have asked you why you think being agnostic isn't ridiculous but hey that's a very big topic and could go on forever.

because it asserts the least.

an atheist asserts there is no god.

a theist asserts some story - one that has survived over time (and probably changed) - among many that came about to explain the unexplained/control people - and they probably subscribe to it because their parents did.

it takes asserting this belief is right and really, faith, in both cases.

agnosticism asserts nothing, there is no claim and there's no faith required. it's simply hey, i don't know. maybe there is a god, maybe not. maybe it's yours - maybe not. guess i'll eat some tacos and try to live life as a good person anyway.

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Too many people trying to fire hose their religions / lack there of, political, investment, etc. beliefs.

Painting their Facebook pages with a French flag today and yet doesn't pay attention to the other senseless death cause they care more about *** Jenner and the Kardashians.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
none are any more ridiculous than the others, including not believing.

Bullllllllllshit. Some are completely over the top ridiculous (scientology). Agnosticism is simply saying I don't know. I don't believe that we came from nothing. I don't know where we came from which is a lot less ridiculous on it's face than someone who wants to lay out every detail of biblical creation and speaks about it with a certainty that would have you believe they witnessed it first hand. People don't know. They want to think they do but they don't. I'd venture a guess that 95% of Christians are agnostics that just refuse to let themselves ask questions that would challenge their own beliefs. It took me probably 2 or 3 years before I could even start to reason with myself over the gaping holes in religion and that's the beauty of it. You're encouraged not to think, not to ask questions. Just believe. Ignorance is embraced.

Isn't it amazing that as recording technology has advanced, miracles have all but stopped?

Religion stifles your ability to think objectively. During the creation debate between Ken Hamm and Bill Nye, both were asked what would change their mind.
Bill Nye said that evidence would change his mind. Ken Hamm said nothing would change his. Why even bother debating science if you're going to admit right out of the gate that your mind is made up and no evidence to the contrary will change your mind? He advertised his foolishness and Christians embraced it. And really at the face of it's that's the problem.

I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs and I don't think people are foolish for having them. All I'm saying is if we're going to open up the can of worms on religion then it's open season.

lol hey there the ones that believe they come from nothing and go into nothing, so be it.

Even if they're entirely wrong, them being wrong doesn't suddenly create this vacuum that religion then fills and answers all the questions. Being certain that there is no god is just as foolish as being certain that there is one. Atheists are equally as religious as any god fearing believer.

A common theme I see among my religious friends is this thinking that if only they can prove evolution wrong then suddenly creationism becomes the only other suitable answer to our origins. So instead of trying to prove creationism they simply waste their time trying to debunk evolution. It is a profoundly stupid way to approach an argument. It's like me saying the grass is purple and you saying the grass is green instead of me trying to prove that it's purple I simply try to prove that it's not green. Well great, maybe it isn't but then there's still an infinite amount of colors that it could be other than green.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info