Honest opinion about dog shooting needed.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Florida cop shoots and kills dog in front of owner....

The Florida City Police Department says Officer Marcus Terry noticed a car door open in Gillian Palacios' driveway, and knocked on Palacios' front door to make sure there hadn't been a theft.

When the door opened, Palacios' two-year-old bully breed mix Duchess ran out. Surveillance video shows the door running toward Terry, as the officer backpedaled.

He fired three shots, killing the 40-pound dog.

"She was excited. Someone's at the door. She's excited to see who it is, you know, normal dog behavior," said Palacios. Her daughter, Sage Raphael, said she tried to stop the dog from running out the door.

"I was about to grab her. I had her and two seconds later, it's three gunshots," said Raphael.

Florida City Police Department public information officer Ken Armenteros said Terry has been placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

"We don't have the luxury of hindsight," Armenteros told CBS Miami. "We have to use the information that is given to us in a split second so the officer has to make that decision with the information that he has available."

Warning, do not watch past 30 seconds if you're remotely squeamish!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxrW9xxmaw

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
My thoughts.

Knowing how much my dog loves people and knowing that he runs towards them while barking makes it hard for me to put a blame.

The discharge of a firearm that close in the direction of people is the 1st biggy.
The 2nd is, as soon as what I would assume he heard the dog bark he was already drawing.

Good ownership is the 1st step

When lets say a pizza guy comes to the door we make sure John is secured. Because that dick will run out the door to greet them.

But then again, at the same time, when we are out side and he is on his lead, it's a split second before I can grab him before he tries to run. It's happened many times, where someone just strolls up the driveway to sell me some shit and John is running and barking. But as soon as they are face to face he becomes a mushy pile of bones.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
its a tough call, the people shouldnt have opened the door until they had the dog under control weather he was trying to give the guy a hug or bite him you dont know, but the cop knows the dog came charging at him out of the house

Agreed 100%!

If I were honestly to Monday night quarter back this. I'd say it's a 50/50.

I have had to take my dog into the house because some people don't listen to me and brought their male dog over. And I put him on his pinch so I could control him.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you need a gun to take a dog down that size then well.... You're a pussy and should not be an officer.

It is not hard to secure a dog with your body weight safely.

Dogs are EXTREMELY common in households....maybe departments should consider training officers on how to secure an attacking pet....without a fatality.....just maybe.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Really need sound for an accurate judgement. For all we know, that dog came running full blast with an agressive bark.....OR he was acting happy go lucky. Hard to tell with out audio.

Agreed!

And I can not for the life of me read the dogs body language.

I do know, what I would assume, as soon as he heard the dog bark he went on edge.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info