Side drive - City Regulations

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I want to our a concrete pad on the side of my garage that connects to my driveway. This will be my spot to wash my cars and detail as its out of the sun and I will probably eventually get one of those fancy shade sails to block the overhead sun. It will also be where I park a truck I will end up building too big to fit in the garage.:hsughlol:

Anyway, does anyone know how close you can get to the property line? Is it safe to say I could go up to the same point my fence does? Im sure all villages are a little different but does anyone have any experience?

I don't want to go asking around, cause if the answer is probably going to be no from the village Ill prob just do it quickly over a weekend without a permit. Easier to ask forgiveness than permission type of thing.

BeerOrGasoline

Me & Dead Owls Don't Give a Hoot.
Mar 15, 2009
New Lenox, IL
Poured a pad at my buddies house that was supposed to be a garage addition. Spent 6mos in court because neighbor bitched. Had to leave it as a "patio" because the fixed structure was too close to easement.

Joke is on the neighbor though as the garage would of looked nicer. Now he gets to stare at scrap cars and spare parts sitting outside.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
10 foot setbacks?

In PH it seems like getting a variance is easy.

They wnated to force me to keep my shed 10'ft off the rear, i bitched and they let me do 3 feet.

My neighors, who didn't get a permit is on both lines. Inspector didnt say shit when he checked mine.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
In Streamwood it was 5 feet, no less. In fact when they had the pad laid out for my shed it was 4'10" and the inspector made them move it two more inches... The concrete guy was PISSED at that one, but the concrete was still a half hour away from making it so they moved it no problem.

Just look up your village codes online, it's usually spelled out pretty clearly. Their biggest thing is making sure it doesnt completely eat up your yard and you can only make it a percentage of your land.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
hmmm should be good then, neighbor has lived there since before my pops built the house in 87 and I know he wont give a single fuck. His career was with a concrete company too. lol Pour and pray it is, if not Ill just come back and sue all you fuckers. :rofl: Ill just go to the fence line and plead ignorance if the village bitches. Really tho, I have lived in this town most of my life and know several people that work for public works and the police dept, chamber of commerce, etc so worst case I can prob get it swept under the rug by offering the right person a free detail on their car. lol

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
hmmm should be good then, neighbor has lived there since before my pops built the house in 87 and I know he wont give a single fuck. His career was with a concrete company too. lol Pour and pray it is, if not Ill just come back and sue all you fuckers. :rofl: Ill just go to the fence line and plead ignorance if the village bitches. Really tho, I have lived in this town most of my life and know several people that work for public works and the police dept, chamber of commerce, etc so worst case I can prob get it swept under the rug by offering the right person a free detail on their car. lol

I would still go by their recommendations and take pictures along the way. That way at the worst you would only get dinged for not buying a permit and not have to take it back up.... Their fence permit says 6" off the property line, so I would pour 1-1/2" feet away from that, plus you'll probably need that much room to set up a good form anyway.

ktraver97ss

Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I don't think I was clear about the fence, I didnt mean this will be inside the fence, but will butt up against it kinda. huh, thats not clear either. lol The fence, coming from the back yard ends before the area I want to put this pad. I was just going to make it the same distance from the property line as the fence is.

If I go 2 feet from the line it will be too narrow for a good sized truck. This is my dilemma.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info