Thoughts on Gofundme?

jprophecy

Regular
Jan 9, 2012
What are your thoughts on Gofundme? Do you think it's worth the effort.

I'm moving forward with getting more serious in a semi pro show car and bracket series racing career, I have a couple sponsors lined up, but they are small. I have been told early on I need to find private funding beyond sponsors through private donations and what not. Is gofund me a real viable source or is it just a waste of time? :dunno:

I've made one for my car and the only donations i got was from family members. LoL.

A lot of people will talk smack about gofundme calling it a handout. Or people looking for something for nothing. Expecially when is automotive or racing. They'll talk down and belittle you for having one claiming how they are soo much better then you because the work for what they own and didn't get it by asking for free handouts.

Imo: make one and ignore the critics. Do what makes you happy.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
Honestly I wouldn't do it myself and the whole "sponsors" thing is a 2 way street. What people don't seem to understand is that you have to have something to offer the company that is sponsoring you in terms of either racing the car, people knowing the car, or building something that sets it apart. I'm not sure what is done to your car but unless it's got something to offer over most other peoples setups then your sponsorship level is going to be drastically different.

As for the gofundme thing. I dunno, you can try it but honestly we all spend a ton of money and put a ton of time wrenching on our cars without it.

Reactions: EmersonHart13

Tim

I like girls that drink beer
Nov 9, 2006
America
I think like many things these days the intentions were good when the idea was conceptualized, but as with everything, asshats with no conscience who can rationalize/justify just about anything in their own minds have found a way to abuse it. Now it is basically a platform for people with no self pride to put the burden of their own financial mismanagement on their friends and family, because let's be honest, in 99% of these gofundmes, the ones who donate are the ones who know the person who set up the account.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
For automotive things like this it seems like you're putting the cart before the horse. All the sponsored cars I know of put in years of their time and own money before reaching a level where companies sought them out to have their companies associated with their organization.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
subaruwrxfan or something like that on youtube had really stupid car review videos. like he's just giggling in them driving around they are pretty fucking lame. he somehow got his viewers to buy him a new v6 mustang iirc.

i considered making some videos for some of my parts as an average dude reviewing some of this shit, although i am too fucking lazy. i was going to do it simply to provide some good information instead of garbage which is unfortunately 80%+ of it out there.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Jesus titty-fucking christ! Another pathetic individual asking for a hand-out; to mod their car no less! Gofundme has turned into the internet version of pan handling. Sure, there are some good causes on there, but asking others to fund your car project is 100% lazy.

I would bother speaking to the points about how people actually get sponsors by aspiring to a higher level of notoriety and achievement in the race industry, but then I would have put more effort into formulating a response to this thread than what the OP seems to be willing to put into funding his own car build. You want to build and race racecars? Ya gotta earn it through sweat effort!

How in the hell do these people that ask for shit like this respect themselves at the end of the day while being a drain on society?!?

^^^THIS right fucking here is what is wrong with today's society. Would rather ask for a handout than put in the required effort...^^^

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info