Called it long time ago here it is.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I have worked with 3d printers prototyping some equipment I've designed for work.
I have seen an entire Briggs & Stratton 2 cylinder engine printed in one pass with all parts assembled and color coded by type - i.e. rings red, pistons gray, connecting rod bolts black, etc.
Babbit type bearings and you could unscrew the connecting rod bolts. Rings were free on the pistons. All parts were there in one printing and all could be disassembled and reassembled.
Now this was just a prototype - i.e. non durable parts - but it proved the printers' function and it is a short step to switch to sintered metal type printers and make a running engine.

Rent Free

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2015
Nowheresville North Dakota
I have worked with 3d printers prototyping some equipment I've designed for work.
I have seen an entire Briggs & Stratton 2 cylinder engine printed in one pass with all parts assembled and color coded by type - i.e. rings red, pistons gray, connecting rod bolts black, etc.
Babbit type bearings and you could unscrew the connecting rod bolts. Rings were free on the pistons. All parts were there in one printing and all could be disassembled and reassembled.
Now this was just a prototype - i.e. non durable parts - but it proved the printers' function and it is a short step to switch to sintered metal type printers and make a running engine.

The GE 3d printed Jet engine project is way ahead of this........

But yes as you point out it really wouldn't be that hard to actually do.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
3d printers are awesome. These will change the world.

Agreed! It is so convenient for me to just whip a prototype up in Solidworks real quick, export to STL file, upload to Shapeways, and receive the printed part that I designed a week later!

Here soon I plan to purchase my own 3D printer, but it will have to be capable of outputting professional grade items. The consumer units just aren't quite up to par just yet when it comes to outputting parts in a high enough resolution using durable enough materials. In time, I will eventually add a CNC mill and CNC lathe to my workshop collection. Making things is just too cool. :bigthumb:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
this is why its stupid to go to mars instead of building a toehold on the moon, which would actually do something for humanity.

there's no cheap way to do it fer sure but it'd be cheaper if the moon was our orbiting industrial park.

1/6th G and fantastic seismic stability means you could build a large relativly lightweight 3d printer and print a spaceship, boom, we go'n ta maws

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
NASA has one on the space station. They printed out a 3/8 ratchet to use for some repair work or something.

That additive metal manufacturing will truly be a game changer though. Sand casting and 5 axis CNC tooling both have limits on how complex something can be.

AGREED! There are so many things that additive manufacturing can do that subtractive simply cannot. I know it is pretty good so far, but I really look forward to the time when items can be printed with perfect resolution on end user machines.

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
this is why its stupid to go to mars instead of building a toehold on the moon, which would actually do something for humanity.

there's no cheap way to do it fer sure but it'd be cheaper if the moon was our orbiting industrial park.

1/6th G and fantastic seismic stability means you could build a large relativly lightweight 3d printer and print a spaceship, boom, we go'n ta maws
I'd like to see us make it to mars eventually but I also think it's a better to start with a colony on the moon first.

Send a couple robots like from the movie interstellar, some 3D printers and solar panels and have them build a base before humans arrive.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info