I-Pass. Thinking about getting one. The benefits???

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I used to never go to the city, and usually avoid the tollways like the plague because I hate driving in the congested traffic that is associated with them at certain times of the day. However, over the past few years I have found myself needing to drive down to the city more and more often. Enough where it's getting to the point where I am thinking about bothering to get that damned I-pass. Hell, my GF has had one for years and she's not even from here! :rofl:

What are the benefits of I-Pass? I hear that tolls are less. Is that true; and is there any other advantage besides expediency and not having to constantly dig for change in your console? Any do's or don'ts?

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
After the initial purchase it pays for its self in a few decent sized tollway trips. Another advantage is that the I-pass is compatible with a ton of tollways systems in other states. If you roadtrip it makes life a lot easier.

There's also big brother implications if you're tinfoilhat about that kinda stuff. My wife got tracked down once after a state trooper got hit on a night she was on the tollway. About 3 of them came to her house and harassed her. I suspect they would have pulled camera footage anyways if they had to so it is likely a moot point.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
If you own multiple vehicles, can you swap it between them without issue? Sometimes I like to putt around for a few weeks in the Pontiac and other times the regular daily driver.

You just add the license plate to your account online. Any cars on there can go through just fine, ipass or no ipass in the car .

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
If you own multiple vehicles, can you swap it between them without issue? Sometimes I like to putt around for a few weeks in the Pontiac and other times the regular daily driver.

Just put all your cars on the pass or passes. Done.

You just add the license plate to your account online. Any cars on there can go through just fine, ipass or no ipass in the car .

[MENTION=73]tinfoilhat[/MENTION] covered this.

i hardly know where my ipass ever is.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Even if you go on the tollroads once in a blue moon, you'd be stupid not to have one. Like its already been stated, tolls are half the price with the iPass, you don't have to stop, and you can throw multiple cars on the same transponder. You could go ahead and leave the transponder at home, as long as the car is registered on the account, you're fine, no matter what the iPass people say. Honestly, I'm shocked everyone doesn't have one, it's a no brainer.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
The only benefit about the Ipass is that it allows them to rob you without looking you in the face.

X2 what sirmarco said get anywhere near the I90, I88, or I55 merges on 355 see if you have a nice time. It takes me exactly the same time to get home on 355 as it does taking 53 with stop lights in rush hour.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info