Car Lift for Home Use

JJ91284

Regular
Sep 29, 2008

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
I have this, works great for storing cars, and the occasional trans fluid change.

Atlas® Garage Pro 8000 Portable Hobbyist 8,000 Lbs. Capacity 4 Post Lift

I have this but the EXT model so it gets the bottom of the lift 7' in the air. Great for when used for storage so 6' people don't have to duck. I also got a set of hydraulic lifts so you can get access to all the wheels while on the lift.

Bendpak seems to be a better lift but the same setup was $3k more and not sure if it got the bottom 7' in the air.

2 post doesn't take up much room but if you ever want to use the lift for storage I would go 4 post w/ the hydraulic jacks.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I really want one as well. But KJ pretty much posted up the dilemma I keep running in to. I would use it for working on my car rather than storage. BUT, I don't have room for anything right now so I can't talk...maybe storage capability is worth it.

i'd go two post, my dad's garage has a four post, and while it is cool for storage, being able to do wheels/tires/brakes/suspension and stuff like that would be neat with a two post.

Can you still do tire/suspension stuff on a four post? Are there just special Jack adapters or something?

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
Anyone have experience with a Home Lift? My brother's looking at different 2 post lifts as well as 4 post lifts. The lift would probably only need a 6,000 lbs limit, but of course a bigger safety margin is always nice.

Any thoughts on

http://www.costco.com/Dannmar-MaxJax™-2-post-Portable-Auto-Lift.product.11731656.html

MaxJax Portable Two-Post Lifting System by Dannmar

How high is his garage ceiling. Hopefully its at least 10-11 feet. Im stuck with 9' so I have been looking at the MaxJax.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I really want one as well. But KJ pretty much posted up the dilemma I keep running in to. I would use it for working on my car rather than storage. BUT, I don't have room for anything right now so I can't talk...maybe storage capability is worth it.

Can you still do tire/suspension stuff on a four post? Are there just special Jack adapters or something?

there probably is, but you're always going to have that flat plane where the car drives on in your way

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
I have an Atlas 9kbp in my garage. It's a 2.5 wide garage, so we offset the lift to the wider side of the garage so we can still park a car next to it on the other side. The posts are 9 feet high. We modified the ceiling to allow a car to be raised to full height. In this picture, the ceiling is still unfinished.

Who did the ceiling modifications? Did you hire someone or tackle the project. Just curious as I was looking into doing the same thing.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info