WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Well heres some more info.

You Can Do Much More Than Fly Around in No Man's Sky | Kotaku UK

Some of the more interesting tidbits

-Your weapon in No Man's Sky can be modified to blast away terrain. You can create a hovel in the ground to shelter in, or dig through the surface of a planet to find beautiful caves below. Your modifications to the surface of planets are permanent – but bear in mind that the planets really are planet-sized, so a huge area that took you an hour to explore on foot is barely a pixel once you're back in orbit. I cannot understand how the game calculates this.

-The crafting system that puts these materials to use is actually much more robust than I'd thought it would be. Exploring in No Man's Sky is all about your equipment. When you first set out, you don't have much of anything, and won't really be able to survive anywhere for long. As it turns out, this is a survival sandbox game, like Minecraft's survival mode in space: you need to find materials to create things that better enable you to survive.

And here's where it gets interesting.

You've already seen the dinosaurs and cool birds and weird fish-things that pop up all over No Man's Sky's planets, but it also has intelligent life. There are several different intelligent alien races in the game, who have colonised a great many of the planets, building structures and flying their own fleets. You can gradually learn how to communicate with aliens by studying their language, examining artefacts and buildings and so forth, but at the beginning you have no idea what anyone's saying. I walked into a building about five minutes after landing on my first planet and a very dangerous-looking alien said things that were probably not very nice. I made explosion noises and waved my arms about (one of three options the game gave me) and... he handed me a new gun. Lucky save.

For more on that, read this

No Man’s Sky: A Universe Filled with Lore and Language – PlayStation.Blog

The scope of this game is just insane. God I hope they pull it off.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I lost interest in EVE and haven't been playing any video games. This game might draw me back in.

I still think that there are going to be gangs of buddies getting together to blast NPCs and other players. Certain areas of space will be controlled and dangerous to enter. I wonder how much communication will be possible in game? Can you set up check points and "toll" other players who want to get through? So many possibilities. If it's possible, gaming nerds will empire up to give them the control they don't have in the real world.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Agreed, but once players get near the center of the universe, what do they do then? That will be a much smaller volume of space with players running into each other. It will also be the "goal", the most important area of the game. I think, if it's possible for players to talk with and destroy other players that that is where alliances will take control of the paths to the center.

If I got to the center, saw what was there and accomplished the goal, what would I do next? Head off in a random direction or start building alliances with other players to control access? I think human nature would be to control, conquer, destroy. That's the way it works in EVE. Newbies don't last long because experienced players are much stronger and team up.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I think you underestimate the hours a committed nerd can play. Experienced gamers blitz through 100 hour games in a day. IMO, unless the game is designed so nobody can get to the center, players will, sooner or later, get there.

I think I'm pretty good at EVE but I have no chance against guys who have played nearly every day for years. They have ships, weapons and strategies that kill me quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info