So how would you do this?

1996BlackBauer

1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
Talking about life a little. I work at a dealership full time as an Apprentice, it is a Union shop, so I get great benefits, we're almost always busy, and I love the people I work with. BUT, its not exactly what I really want to do, I really want to be more on the performance side of things, Maybe a performance shop, or an engine shop, I have basic knowledge, but not nearly enough to just drop the job I have now, and start at another shop. So I want to learn, I mean sure I can read books, watch videos, ect., but I really learn a lot better, and faster If I am doing something hands on. So how can I do that?

I really don't want to spend another crap load of money on a specialty school, that only really shows me how to do half the stuff. I am sort of thinking about going around to local engine shops and asking if I can be a shop bitch, just to gain some knowledge, or something like that. But I really don't know if that would work, or if it would come off as just weird, so has anybody here had experience with doing such a thing?

Any input is great, sorry if this is in the wrong section as well,

Harold.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
Experience, experience and experience. Did I say experience?

If you're a Apprentice, it means you're still wet behind the ears. Buckle down and become a Journeymen. Then look onto moving into the field.

Most high end places would start you off at 40hrs being a complete bitch. Broom pusher, parts runner and maybe a little service work. In order to enter into the performance world. You need to be well versed in that group of cars/trucks.

A example:

I know GM in and out. There for I'd work for a GM only shop. I wouldn't even think about walking in to a Ford shop.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Keep the job you have and gain the experience there. Then, simultaneously, get elbow deep in builds of your own; or help other local guys wrench on their performance vehicles. There is an immense amount that you can teach yourself if you are willing to put in the effort.

I have to warn you though. There are many downsides to working at a performance shop. The biggest being that you will almost never make great salary; like Donnie mentioned. While making a good salary may not be the most important to you now when you are still young, it becomes a whole lot more important when you eventually have a family to support and take on vacation every now and then; let alone have a fun toy or two in the garage.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
To build upon what I said and Rocket added to, go talk to the Journeys you work with. If you've got "a guy", which you should, ask him honestly about money. How much is he making? I never put in much time at a Union shop, but I'm betting between $25 and 35 p/b'hour.

You won't get that at a performance shop. Nor the stability and security. Nor the benefits. Nor the structured education. Hell, think about the amount of Performance Shops you've known about folding up. That's a drop in the bucket next to the ones you never heard about...

Keep at what you're doing now. Everything you learn will be directly applicable in some way to what you'll do on your own projects. Want to expand your horizons a little? Learn to weld in your free time. I can't think of a shop I've been at that didn't practically fall over themselves for guys that were good wrenches and could weld as well. And hell, if you get tired of turning wrenches for a living, make it a hobby again and go get yourself $40 an hour welding steam pipe with what you've learned on the side.

There's a lot of paths in this world one with calluses on his hands can take... Don't steer yourself down the ones littered with skull and crossbones signs. Lol.

Ti28

Cupcake
TCG Premium
Jan 23, 2013
Bartlett
I have spent time on the side in Performance shops. Sure it's fun, it pays ok for side work. I'd never do it full time.

The one shop that wanted me 100% couldn't afford what I needed to make in order to leave my current job. And I'm glad I never took the offer and stayed where I'm at. Because right now, I'd be looking for a job.

1996BlackBauer

Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it, so basically not making it my career choice is probably the best option. I am totally down with keeping my job I have now, and making the performence side a side project sort of thing, I just really enjoy working on engines, and transmissions, and in the Dealer world, that really doesn't happen anymore. So I will just grab a 302 out of the junk yard and build the shit out of that and leran from my own mistakes. Does anybody have any good book or articles that I can read so that I can know a little bit more?

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
One thing you could do is like our shop foreman down the street at Martin Chevy. He was always into the performance stuff but before tinkering with that he worked his ass off and became an amazing technician first. He is easily our #1 tech and go-to guy for anything anybody else can't figure out. Now, since he is so good they give him a bit of freedom and since they know he is into the performance aspect of working on cars they are offering head/cam upgrades on cars like vettes and camaros. So he gets to do fun stuff every once and a while like putting headers on a car, or installing short shifters.... But still brings home the bacon booking 60 hours a week at 34/hr. Best of both worlds really

1996BlackBauer

Oct 20, 2014
McHenry
I am for sure a Ford guy no doubt, but I would also like to learn about Chevy side of stuff as well, especially the LS stuff, because it is so popular. I may just have to stock up on books, read some write ups, and just do some of my own research to get this all straight.
[MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION]

Mike, the big head kid tells me about this, I think that is totally badass, but I doubt that will ever happen in my Buick GMC world down the road at Courtesy, but you never know.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info