Anyone have a tooth implant done?

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Well, I have a tooth that has been root canal treated several times and every time i have a small infection that starts (typically 6 mo later and does not take to any medicine). My dentist says that there is no point of doing another root canal and to just pull and do an implant.

Anyone get one done? How is it? How expensive is it.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Some insurances will cover it, others won't. I think the last oral surgeon told me a few grand out of pocket. It can vary a bit depending on your mouth. What tooth it is, if top, if the amount of bone between the gumline and sinus cavity will support it as is without addition surgery and bone seeding, etc.

I have two top teeth they couldn't root canal due to where they were broken, so both were extracted. I was referred to a dental college in downers grove that supposedly is good with insurance and has easier pricing... I'm yet to speak to them though.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
If it's the titanium post style and not a bridge, they're like $2k-$10k a piece. I've never really heard of them being $2k but I have heard of them on a regular basis being in the $8k range.

the-price-is-too-damn-high.jpg

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Both my front teeth are. I broke them out in 4th grade sliding on ice.
Between then and Sr. year of HS I had root canals done on the 4 top front teeth. Also I would randomly break them out every few years due to the part of the tooth still there. My Sr. year they broke once again and they decided to do this. It wasn't painful of anything. Gave me some shots and put me in a daze. I was eating apples later that day with no troubles.

BS ISF

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 24, 2012
WEST BURBS
have two posts on my top left front teeth. was done about 10 years ago and total cost was $12K. I did a ton of research and went to a dentist with very high remarks and tons of referrals. I also checked ahead of time and even though my insurance wasn't billable direct they did cover about $4K. The rest I did a loan thru the dental office and the interest rate was very low around 3% with good credit.

Hope that helps

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Mandibular molar implants are pretty straight-forward from what I've seen, provided there's no major bone loss. I'd imagine you're in the clear since the original tooth is still there. Have you ever had and gum/perio issues?

As far as cost, I'm not sure. I'd imagine you won't spend less than $3,000 a piece. The other good thing with molars is they don't have to put as much time and effort into aesthetics like they would with anterior teeth...

b00sted

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 6, 2010
Also, you're in for a treat. :D It's a pretty interesting process...Doing an implant is a lot like heli-coiling a cylinder head bolt hole. Drill a hole in the jaw, run a tap through it, screw in a heli-coil looking piece, and then bolt the tooth in...They even use a locktite-ish thread-locker sometimes. haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info