Summer Tire Recommendations

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I'm looking for a PERFORMANCE SUMMER ONLY tire for my rims (one of the 3 sizes)

215,40,18, 225/40/18, 235/40/18

I haven't shopped for performance tires in years so I'm not sure what is good out there for the street and occasional track (road and strip, maybe 2-4 times all summer). Last time the Goodyear Eagle F1s were the tire to get, which I had, and loved them.

I was looking at the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s and they look/sound good based on reviews and have a good tread for wet/dry. $200/tire

bs_potenza_re11_ci2_l.jpg

Also mentioning this is for a Cobalt SS/SC, FWD and going to shoot for 300hp MAX. So I don't need something made to handle 1000hp.
Any recommendations or opinions are welcome!

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
They're not very sticky though... That's like an "all season" summer tire. An RE-11 would be much stickier and more fun, but that's just me.

I added a note saying this is for a cobalt pushing a MAX of 300hp :rofl: So I don't need super sticky but the bridgestone does look better.

also just found these cheapo summer tires "Gt Radial Champiro UHP1" http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/gt_radial/product/submitProductSize.do?r=NVRINT&pc=12353

. Someone with a cobalt SS/TC uses them for auto-X and they perform really well for the price ($70/tire!) and was able to pull off 2.1 60ft

t_20130104.githz1.ang.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
I ran two sets of Potenza RE050As on my G35 and loved them, but for my DD, I cant justify the wear rating and cost anymore. I was lucky to get 15K out of both sets, and that was a stretch. I just bought a set of Potenza RE760s, so far I like them.

luckily i have dedicated Summer/Winter setups and I probably drive a total of MAYBE 5-10k miles a year since I got a work truck so mileage isnt that important but i would like to get at least 15-20k out of the summers over 3/4 years

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
They're not very sticky though... That's like an "all season" summer tire. An RE-11 would be much stickier and more fun, but that's just me.

Apples to oranges. You want something that will allow you to push the car much harder around corners. He sounds like he wants something more intuitive to a good daily driving experience and better traction out of the hole (FWDlol). The V12's will give him all of that, without the massive markup and trade-off in comfort of the higher tier performance tires.

I ran these on the Neon. Were incredibly well refined on the expressway, handled well when wet, gripped great when thrown into a corner and despite the softer sidewalls, were exceedingly predictable and let you know quite vocally when they were at the limit. Put up with 425-450ft/lbs of FWD torque like champs for me as well.

They're stellar all-rounders.

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Apples to oranges. You want something that will allow you to push the car much harder around corners. He sounds like he wants something more intuitive to a good daily driving experience and better traction out of the hole (FWDlol). The V12's will give him all of that, without the massive markup and trade-off in comfort of the higher tier performance tires.

I ran these on the Neon. Were incredibly well refined on the expressway, handled well when wet, gripped great when thrown into a corner and despite the softer sidewalls, were exceedingly predictable and let you know quite vocally when they were at the limit. Put up with 425-450ft/lbs of FWD torque like champs for me as well.

Exactly! Nailed it with that explanation of what I'm looking for. I'm glad you also have some experience with these on a fwd car with some power. They are now on the list of possible choices :bigthumb:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008

Yeah, I GTFO once I saw a 60' time and FWD.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I've been running the first gen V12 evo's on my gto for about the last 4 years now and probably about 15k miles. They're still going but it may be time to replace the rears after another couple thousand miles here. They're not bad yet, but on the few cold mornings we did have here they were starting to struggle for traction. But I dont need to worry about cold asphalt anymore so I can probably make them last for awhile longer yet :rofl: They've been great tires tho for what I've needed them to do.

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
putzing around town, i'd probably get conti DW.

daily/autox/track, i'd without hesitation get dz2 star specs. wish i had them on my car now.
I bought continental DW for the g8 summer wheels because they had a good tread wear rating and great reviews. Plus they had a rebate and discount tire matched tire rack's price, including no sales tax.

It really comes down to what to want to do. yeah, super sticky tires are fun, but they're going to wear much quicker.

I could have bought sticker summer tires for the g, but combined with my snow tires, in hoping I won't ever have to buy tires for it again.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info