Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
B/c apparently, many people think it is. And to them, I say GO FUCK YOURSELVES.

PFYoCrQ.jpg

Photographer Fights Backlash Over Baby Wrapped in American Flag Picture - ABC News

A photographer and Navy veteran is fighting back after a photo she posted to Facebook started an online backlash.

Vanessa Hicks said she had no idea her photo would be considered controversial. The photo, from a military family’s newborn photo shoot, showed a newborn infant wrapped in an American flag held by his father, who was in his military uniform.

Hicks, a Navy veteran herself and the wife of an active-duty Navy member, said her intention was to honor the flag as well as her clients, who wanted to incorporate their military service in the photo shoot.

“This is what he was fighting for, his son wrapped in an American flag,” Hicks told ABC News. However, when she posted the image on her page, she started to get comments accusing her of desecrating the flag.

On one Facebook page an unidentified poster put up her picture writing and wrote they found it was “disrespectful, rude, tacky, disgusting, and against the U.S. Flag Code.”

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Technically isn't it a desecration of the flag? I mean just by technicality.

Personally I don't care. You walk outside on the fourth of July and there are flag stickers, plastic flags strewn about the street touching the ground, girls wearing flag bikinis, etc. Why choose to pitch your anger tent over this, something that has arguable merit, when there are so many other flagrant abuses of the flag that you can be mad about?

Also I'm not armed forces. I'm a pussy. Props to you guys though.

The lesson here is that the internet is a place for people to discover things they can be upset about.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Technically isn't it a desecration of the flag? I mean just by technicality.

Personally I don't care. You walk outside on the fourth of July and there are flag stickers, plastic flags strewn about the street touching the ground, girls wearing flag bikinis, etc. Why choose to pitch your anger tent over this, something that has arguable merit, when there are so many other flagrant abuses of the flag that you can be mad about?

Also I'm not armed forces. I'm a pussy. Props to you guys though.

I believe the difference is if it's a real flag or not. If somebody wore a bikini that was actually created from a real flag, then that would be desecration of the flag.

I have no opinion on the matter, but I don't know as much as the military personnel. I know a lot of military people take things with the flag very serious, and I'm glad they do. It's not the physical part of the flag, it's what it represents.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I believe the difference is if it's a real flag or not. If somebody wore a bikini that was actually created from a real flag, then that would be desecration of the flag.

I have no opinion on the matter, but I don't know as much as the military personnel. I know a lot of military people take things with the flag very serious, and I'm glad they do. It's not the physical part of the flag, it's what it represents.

See I always thought that was the case but I don't think it is. I'm heading out the door so maybe someone else can take a look but I thought it was the likeness of the flag being used for stuff like that that had veterans up in arms.

Something tells me a WWII vet wouldn't care too much about this picture, especially considering who took it and what it symbolizes.

Frank Dukes

TCG Elite Member
May 5, 2009
Rockfordia

sad thing is IIRC i read that she bought the flag at the dollar store. no doubt made in china. I fly a flag all spring/summer long and never will it come from anywhere but the US of 'Merica.

Honestly if anything i think thats something to be pissed off about. we shouldnt be allowed to import flags.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
It doesn't offend me, but I definitely see why some people would be pissed, especially military... Flags are meant to be flown, displayed in their rightful form. On a pole or outstretched hanging from something. Twisting it and or wrapping it around anything is technically desecration of the flag.

Not all that different from military uniforms. They should be worn in a certain way, not wrinkled, patches and ribbons displayed in a certain way, etc.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
It doesn't offend me, but I definitely see why some people would be pissed, especially military... Flags are meant to be flown, displayed in their rightful form. On a pole or outstretched hanging from something. Twisting it and or wrapping it around anything is technically desecration of the flag.

Not all that different from military uniforms. They should be worn in a certain way, not wrinkled, patches and ribbons displayed in a certain way, etc.

Better go after that mean anti-'murica wind out there twisting all dem dere flags around flag poles...

I understand your point, but this is a veteran being PROUD of the country that he/she fought for and is, as stated above: “This is what he was fighting for, his son wrapped in an American flag.”

I don't see what's wrong with this image.

I do however get pissed when I see asshats flying the flag upside down to make a scene, trying to argue some dumb tinfoil hat opinion of theirs. Also a desecration of the flag.

Or asshats flying flags of other countries or symbols ABOVE our own flag here.

I agree, especially on the last point.

Oh you know what else pisses me off? If flags are being flown half mast and I ask the owner or a worker at the place and they don't know why..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info