My garage build

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
anyone switch to a jack shaft? time to move all this hardware out of the way, not only for a lift coming soon, but just to take advantage of the ceiling height. Also doing the high lift conversion so all the hardware will be hugging the wall.

Anyone else go down this path?

going with this for the openers

Liftmaster 8500 Wall Mount Garage Door Opener - - Amazon.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OvASlrpBns

pSctEdx.jpg

Last edited:

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
They are bad ass. They are extremely quiet, smooth and come with a lock on the tracks so nobody can break into your garage without knocking the entire door down. They also come with my q so you can control it from your phone (as long as you buy the wifi adapter).
Only complaint is that they are somewhat slow compared to regular rail openers. Oh yeah and you can set it with an extension chord, but eventually you will need an outlet nearby if you have a home inspection.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
They are bad ass. They are extremely quiet, smooth and come with a lock on the tracks so nobody can break into your garage without knocking the entire door down. They also come with my q so you can control it from your phone (as long as you buy the wifi adapter).
Only complaint is that they are somewhat slow compared to regular rail openers. Oh yeah and you can set it with an extension chord, but eventually you will need an outlet nearby if you have a home inspection.

good info! buying the internet gateway for it for sure, that auto locking thing is pretty sweet. I think it hopefully has better security for the opener frequencies, I know they are rolling frequencies, but I still think you could exploit those.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I have myq and we love it.

Auto close door is a must with a heated garage and I get alerts when it stays open past the time. I also can use my phone to open the door if I don't have the opener with me.

*if you have a heated garage a good thing to consider is an interrupt switch for the thermostat. When the door is open it cannot call for heat. I did this just in case the door was left open and was unable to close, no need to heat the outside world!

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
I put in a belt drive, it is almost as quiet as the jackshaft. So far we are very happy with how smooth and quiet it is.

My ceilings were just too low for a jackshaft to fit easily and it wasn't worth the modifications for me to do it.

The 3/4hp motor is a ton quieter than the 1/2hp motor. Combine the 3/4hp with a belt drive and it's almost inaudible.

JeffsLightning

TCG Elite Member
Mar 3, 2004
House of Power
I had garage door Danny put one in for me last year when I did a 4 post lift. I have the typical 2-1 ...3 car garage that had belt drive openers on the 8' door and 16' door. The jackshaft opener in a lot quieter than the belt drive. I'm actually thinking of pulling down the belt opener and putting a jackshaft on the 16' door..I highly recommend them.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
The 3/4hp motor is a ton quieter than the 1/2hp motor. Combine the 3/4hp with a belt drive and it's almost inaudible.

Did you see that model they sell that is 1 and 1/4 hp and belt drive? I think Home Depot sells it.

Ah, here it is:

Chamberlain 1.25 HPS Belt Drive Battery Backup Smartphone Ready Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology-HD930EV - The Home Depot

Almost bought that but I had a bunch of gift cards to Sears so I bought the 3/4 hp version that is branded as a Craftsman.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
Made some progress on the garage build out.

1. Hired a guy to do the high lift conversion and jack shaft installation. Completed the high lift conversion "ok", had to tweak some things, but he FAILED on the jack shaft installation. Heavy accent, wouldn't follow directions I was pointing out to him in the manual. Left 30 extra holes in my drywall for no fucking reason. Made sure to file BBB complaint (since he chose to be a member, and a nice yelp review). I ended up finishing the Jack Shaft installation myself and its not horrible to gain the experience.

New openers w/ high lift conversion, MyQ app on mobile phones is amazing

9CSCZuK.jpg

Installation of new lighting, replaced two single 60w bulbs with 6 tray fluorescents. My 8' step ladder wasn't enough, borrowed 12' from fire dept :rofl:
sGRXAxy.jpg

Urban Assault Vehicles at rest in the cave
pVfMgT2.jpg

Lighting installed
C8D8qqu.jpg

Next steps
1. install outlets near jack shaft openers
2. clean up wires
3. drywall prep, prime, painting ect
4. epoxy flooring
5. lift installation

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
Did you see that model they sell that is 1 and 1/4 hp and belt drive? I think Home Depot sells it.

Ah, here it is:

Chamberlain 1.25 HPS Belt Drive Battery Backup Smartphone Ready Garage Door Opener with MyQ Technology-HD930EV - The Home Depot

Almost bought that but I had a bunch of gift cards to Sears so I bought the 3/4 hp version that is branded as a Craftsman.

That's the exact one he installed in my garage... Thing is dead quiet, plus all the MyQ stuff and a battery backup...

Couldn't be happier.

FESTER665

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 13, 2008
Streamwood
We were looking at doing those lights in our warehouse, but I did a ton of the LED panels from Home Depot.... If I had the ceiling height I would use them in my garage in a heartbeat...

Lithonia Lighting 2 ft. White LED High Bay Light-IBH 11L MV - The Home Depot

Wasn't cheap to start out with since I installed 18 of them, but since we need 1/4 of the 8 foot flourescent bulbs and no longer need to run the 400w MH bulbs, the electric bill is averaging $240 less per month compared to last year.. Definitely make our money back in no time.

Not worrying about getting out the 14 foot ladder to change bulbs anymore is a great upside, as well as the lights are about 6 feet higher than the old 8 footers... definitely cleans up the place.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info