Starting your car in sub zero temps - revisited

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
I made a post in the fall asking about preventative measures to make sure your car will start. Most people said a good battery is all you need. Even from my car sitting for the past 30 hours it did take a few seconds to start. We're going to be getting pretty brutal cold this week and I want do whatever I can.

The car is going to be sitting outside. The battery was replaced two years ago. What do you guys do? Blanket over the engine bay? Light bulb near the battery? Let it warm up every ~7 hours?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
I'm going to 2nd everything that was said in the thread a couple months ago. On a gas engine, literally all you should need is a good battery with 700+ CCA, even in the coldest of Chicago mornings. My busted ass old 90 Grand Prix with a battery that's a couple years old even started this morning. Granted, it was a little groggy at first and the cranking sounded labored, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Unless the battery and engine are being kept warm until the car is started, it's not going to sound like it's starting in the middle of summer, even on the newest cars with the smallest engines with the best battery.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Even the newest cars will crank over slowly in cold weather.

My 99 explorer has some chain rattle on start, but has started even while basically a Popsicle with a new battery.

The Cooper has serious display issues until the cabin is warm (Read-Lag on the climate control and tach displays), but still starts as near-instantly as it does in summer honestly. Granted its a boosted, low-displacement, fairly new car.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Do you have an old car with a carb or something?

As long as your car is fuel injected and in good mechanical shape you should be fine.

Filling up your gas tank is a good idea, and if it will make you feel better you can put a bottle of heat in there.

But maintenance is probably the biggest issue. Make sure your fuel filter is new, you have a good battery with good good non corroded connections, a clean air filter, and good sensors and you should be good to go.

If you want you can put synthetic oil in your car. It doesn't get as thick in cold weather and your motor will turn over a little easier, but when it's cold any car takes a little longer cranking. Like I said, if it's fuel injected it will be fine as long as there is no water in the gas and everything is in good mechanical shape.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
so I ran 93 in my GTP for the first time since Ive owned it. Usually in anything below 30 when i remote start it wont fire, takes 2-3 trys. but today, being the coldest day ever, she fired right off...

93 octane forever from now on.
[MENTION=2018]Aron[/MENTION]

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Sold my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee in July, but for the 4 winter I had it, including last year which was brutal, it was kept outside and never had any issues starting. I remember one day it was -18 without the windchill and that thing started right up. I am missing that jeep right now. :(

I still have my 99 JGC, it start right up every morning.

Also they recommend to have at least half a tank of fuel. So that you tank don't create too much condensation inside and will lead to water in the system or frozen lines. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense. Lol

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
I still have my 99 JGC, it start right up every morning.

Also they recommend to have at least half a tank of fuel. So that you tank don't create too much condensation inside and will lead to water in the system or frozen lines. I don't know if this is true but it makes sense. Lol

well.. yea.. less room for expansion.

all major fleets require you to top off when truck is parked in these temps.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
along with a good battery i will add good connections at the battery and starter as well as good ground connections. those wimpy 10ga grounds GM used in the mid 90s are the bottle neck. i used to take old 4ga car amplifier wire and do a 1 foot section from the battery negative to a freshly clean, bare metal chassis ground. everything on the car works better- windows are faster, defrost is better, lights are brighter and dont dim at idle. literally no drawbacks and if you have extra amp wire it is free

Spivitz

The Throttle is ur friend
TCG Premium
Oct 5, 2012
Cmon Baby.... Start tomorrow.... Hahaha
5ae61cff27bd0f59f241d0272fd6467c.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info