Snowy Owls + Bald Eagles

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
For the last few weeks I have been going out with the girlfriend and photographing birds of prey, including Bald Eagles, Hawks and Snowy Owls.
Snowy Owls are super rare down here. There are only about 4 in Illinois that are known and some in Wisconsin. Otherwise they are closer to the arctic circle.

Another one came out of nowhere and they were fighting for territory.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Are they all in your backyard??? The fuck. Talk about a fucking find. Thats awesome.

Lol... These weren't. Although there are some bald eagles here and there along the Fox river. Seen a few in Oswego and saw a juvenile as we were leaving st charles to head over to the Locks and Dam by Iowa. The snowy owls are within an hour drive. There are always birders looking for them and reporting them. It's fun to watch them hunt and catch fish and the owls and hawks catch rodents.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
Are you kidding? Trapping them? I think there is one by midway now

Yes animals or birds and planes full of people don't mix. I was shown a pic of one in a trap and a dead one from last year. I know they said they tag something and have to release it as far away as Diwight or it comes back that might of been eagles though. Doesn't make sense to take the owls further south.
The guys in charge of removing all the wildlife out there have a cool job. I think any animal that dies out there gets autopsied they look in the stomach and then try to remove the food source from the airport so they don't come back.

raresvt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2007
5f2c2ab061ada71e042f17821ac1cd58.jpg

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
The Eagles are crazy in Montgomery!! You want to catch Eagles, you can spot them all along the Fox there too :) These pictures are super sweet! Thanks for posting up!!

Yes! I've seen them in this area along the fox. It's hard to get a shot of them catching fish though. I saw a pair of eagles fighting in the air in Oswego last week

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
Brian... awesome shots dude. Seriously. What camera rig you using to get those shots?

I'm using a d5100 with a nikkor 55-300mm lense. I'm pretty sure I had the smallest lense. At one point there were about 100 photographers there. They have 600mm lenses. They do come really close to you but I suggest having some kind of zoom lense and you need to up the iso and have at minimum a 1/1000 shutter speed so you don't get motion blur.

That one in the tree I was literally right under and he didn't care. I also have a video of him screeching

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info