Great Amazon Review

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I am looking at a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat for my house and in looking across the reviews, I came across this gem:

7,080 of 7,242 people found the following review helpful

5.0 out of 5 stars SHE TOOK THE HOUSE, THE DOG AND THE 401K€¦. BUT I STILL CONTROL THE THERMOSTAT., March 26, 2014

By

The General

This review is from: Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat (Tools & Home Improvement)

My former wife loves to take expensive vacations. We live in Ohio, which doesn’t exactly have extravagant places to see unless you like to watch grass growing or interstate construction. While we make OK money, I’m convinced she felt the need to single handedly improve the US economy by taking elaborate vacations: Broadway shows in New York City, gambling in Las Vegas, Spa’s in Arizona, sightseeing in San Francisco. The airlines know me so well they ask about my dog when I call to make reservations. His name is Fred.

In my attempt to try and save whatever I could so the princess could have her nice things I bought this Honeywell Wi-Fi enabled device so I could adjust the HVAC while we were away piling up massive amounts of debt on Mickey Mouse watches. I thought we could save a few bucks by keeping the temp cool in the winter and warm in the summer. The device was easy to install. I did not have the “blue” connector so I had to re-purpose the green one - this required an adjustment to the actual HVAC unit in our home. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to demonstrate how to do this. Within an hour I was up and running.

The device works flawlessly. You can adjust the temp from anywhere you have a Wi-Fi or cellular signal. Little did I know that my ex had found someone that had a bit more money than I did and decided to make other travel plans. Those plans included her no longer being my wife and finding a new travel partner (Carl, a banker). She took the house, the dog and a good chunk of my 401k, but didn’t mess with the wireless access point or the Wi-Fi enabled Honeywell thermostat.

Since this past Ohio winter has been so cold I’ve been messing with the temp while the new love birds are sleeping. Doesn’t everyone want to wake up at 7 AM to a 40 degree house? When they are away on their weekend getaways, I crank the heat up to 80 degrees and back down to 40 before they arrive home. I can only imagine what their electricity bills might be. It makes me smile. I know this won’t last forever, but I can’t help but smile every time I log in and see that it still works. I also can’t wait for warmer weather when I can crank the heat up to 80 degrees while the love birds are sleeping. After all, who doesn’t want to wake up to an 80 degree home in the middle of June?

Amazon.com: The General's review of Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
I have that thermostat installed at the apt. I love it. I control everything from my phone. Def can save on bills. The screen is nice and easy to navigate as well and it looks good on the wall. The background can change to many different colors to depending on the room

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
Current shot from work of the home setup

feabf9e527d9b8bd9a97658e3ffa5edd.jpg

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
They are pretty much the same in terms of features. The Nest looks nicer. I am leaning towards the Honeywell as I have an Ademco (Honeywell) alarm. They have a nice app that integrates the whole house, so I can control my alarm and thermostat from one app.

I install Honeywell equipment. For the most part they make nice stuff. I'd definitely integrate the two. Maybe even add a Honeywell Access control panel, some card readers and electric locks. Then you can control your doors too :)

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
I install Honeywell equipment. For the most part they make nice stuff. I'd definitely integrate the two. Maybe even add a Honeywell Access control panel, some card readers and electric locks. Then you can control your doors too :)

Cool, my brother sells alarms & home theatres and recommended basically the same thing. I have an older Ademco panel in the basement that he said I'd need to upgrade.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
don't care.

the learning thing was about the only thing that set the nest apart i thought so i went honeywell and spent $140 of the money i saved at the bar on fireball antifreeze shots and went and played bang bang with the bartender.

^ this guy knows how to be a smart consumer. Got a thermostat, coolant cancer, and a bang bang session

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info