How to get a car loan with NO credit?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I'm trying to help a friend of mine out get a car loan on a new car. He has no credit, has never had a credit card or a previous loan. He's always done things cash, but, is tired of having older, unreliable daily drivers and would like to purchase a basic car like a Hyundai Accent, Nissan Versa, etc. as a "four wheels and a warranty" type vehicle for work, etc.

-He has been employed by the same company for over a year, and was with his previous employer for almost two years. Has pay stubs showing these terms of employment

-Roughly $1,800/ month in income.

-Has $1,500 to put down in cash and a trade-in of roughly $1,500-$2,000. Roughly equivalent to 15%-20% of the purchase price of the car.

-Has NO cosigner. His mom and step-dad do not have good credit.

I know he can't be picky in this situation, but, he's looking at the Accent and Versa due to their ridiculously low cost. (12,000-14,000 new) Anybody have any recommendations for him? I've set him in the right direction, but, I have never had to deal with a no-credit situation as I had a cosigner in good standing for my first car loan at 17.

Thanks guys!

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
With a no credit situation they are going to look for a larger down payment as he is a very high risk in their eyes. Without a cosigner that will be tough. He may get approved for a low dollar amount car but his interest rate is going to be far from favorable.

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
If the car was 12k and he could save and with trade in put down 6k that might be enough since he would only be financing 6 grand or so at that point. But again the interest rate will be very very high.

Another option is if he has been at the same bank with his accounts for a while. Check with them? Since they can already see his accounts and deposit history they may be more inclined to lend the money

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah, it's going to be a new car for sure. I told him not to even bother with a used car as the terms would be ridiculous if they were even offered.

I just told him to go get a bank account. He's had a re-loadable card from Chase for a while now but doesn't actually have an account.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Let us know either way if he needs a co-signer. I am curious to the outcome

I will. He's pretty much guaranteed to get the Hyundai Accent because his Girlfriend's Uncle is the GM at a dealership. He told him that if he came in with a years worth of employment history and 15% down he could get the car. The reason I'm even posting this would be to try and get him through at another dealer to get a cheaper car. The Versa starts at 11,990 while the accent is 14,800. He does not give a flying fuck about what the car is as it will simply be four wheels and a warranty and he will be selling it when the warranty is close to expiration.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Yeah, just did a quick build and price.

2014 Nissan Versa S - AM/FM/CD Radio, A/C, 5-speed manual. $12,815

2014 Hyundai Accent GLS - AM/FM/CD Radio, A/C, 5-speed manual. $15,455

My attitude and what I told him was... If it's a car you literally don't give a shit about, get the cheapest one available. He's going to tint the windows and try and find a set of take-off alloy wheels from a higher end model of whatever he gets and that will literally be it.

Edit: Holy fuck, I didn't realize how cheap the Versa was. I'd like to go test drive one just to see how "bad" it really is for that price... That's one hell of a deal.

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
You really should send him to John if he's looking for a base ass model car. He should be able to get him into a Fiesta around that range. [MENTION=4923]The Beast[/MENTION]

Edit: Didn't read your post above yours...Either way, it's worth a shot.

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine

My attitude and what I told him was... If it's a car you literally don't give a shit about, get the cheapest one available. He's going to tint the windows and try and find a set of take-off alloy wheels from a higher end model of whatever he gets and that will literally be it.

Edit: Holy fuck, I didn't realize how cheap the Versa was. I'd like to go test drive one just to see how "bad" it really is for that price... That's one hell of a deal.

The newer Versa Note is at least nice. I haven't sat in the Versa S. The older ones are garbage imo except they have a surprising amount of rear legroom at least compared to my mazda 3.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
My Cobalt with cosigner was 3.9%
My Sierra with cosigner was 2.9%
My Mustang W/O cosigner was 3.9%
My Golf W/O cosigner is 1.9%

The suprising thing is I took out short terms on my ATV and bike... I'm paying 2.9% on them... I thought I was going to get FUCKED because they're not considered essential items... but I was wrong.

Miller's 06

Nov 4, 2014

First post here, My name is Brandon Miller... Anyways, I work at a Hyundai dealership. If your friend and you want to come check out an Accent, let me know. We work with a lot of people. I actually sold my gf a 2014 Sonata, so I do believe in the cars, lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info