Prosecutor: Father 'Executed' Drunk Driver After Wreck Killed Sons

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Holy fucking crazy terrible situation. :hs:

Prosecutor: Father 'Executed' Drunk Driver After Wreck Killed Sons | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

A drunk driver did not deserve "execution" by a Texas father accused of taking the law into his own hands in a fit of rage over the killing of his two sons in a wreck, a prosecutor told jurors on Tuesday.
David Barajas is accused of fatally shooting Jose Banda in December 2012, minutes after Banda plowed into a pickup truck that Barajas and his two sons had been pushing on a rural road. Twelve-year-old David Jr. died at the scene and 11-year-old Caleb died at a hospital. Barajas' truck had run out of gas about 100 yards from the family's home.

In opening statements Tuesday in Barajas' murder trial, prosecutor Brian Hrach told jurors Banda made a horrible decision by drinking and driving.
Banda "deserved punishment. He deserved severe legal punishment, but he did not deserve a public execution," Hrach said.

Barajas allegedly left the scene of the accident, retrieved a gun from his home and returned to kill Banda.
Sam Cammack, Barajas' attorney, told jurors his client did not kill Banda, and that the father never left the crash site. Cammack described to jurors an accident scene in which Barajas, desperate to help his sons, was covered with their blood after he had tried to perform CPR on the boys.

"When police get there my client is doing what he was doing the whole time, trying to save his children's lives," Cammack said.
Legal experts said the case will be difficult to prosecute given the lack of hard evidence: no weapon was recovered, no witnesses identified Barajas as the shooter and gunshot residue tests done on Barajas came back negative.

An even greater challenge for prosecutors could be overcoming sympathy in the community for the father. Many people in the town of Alvin where the tragedy occurred, 30 miles southeast of Houston, have supported Barajas. Some have said they might have done the same thing in a similar situation.
Hrach tried to minimize the absence of a murder weapon, saying that a bullet fragment from a .357 caliber weapon was found at the murder scene and that an open box with .357 caliber ammunition was found in Barajas' home.

The home security system at Barajas' house with cameras that would have shown the accident scene had been disabled, the prosecutor said.

Witnesses will testify that they saw Barajas leave the scene and then come back and approach Banda's vehicle, going up against the car, appearing to be hiding something, Hrach said.

Barajas' blood was found on the armrest and dashboard of Banda's car, Hrach said.

But Cammack tried to cast doubt on prosecutors' claims that Barajas was responsible by suggesting to jurors that various other people seen near Banda's vehicle after the wreck could have been responsible.
When 911 calls were played for jurors later Tuesday, Cammack tried to suggest Barajas would not have had enough time to shoot Banda.

On the calls, screaming can be heard in the background as an unidentified caller told a dispatcher a boy is "bleeding badly ... he's in half. It's bad."

While questioning dispatcher Grace Gambino, Cammack highlighted for jurors the timeline. The first 911 call came in at 11:33 p.m., a child was reported dead at 11:34 p.m., gunshots were heard at 11:35 p.m. and police had arrived at the scene and cleared it for EMS to come in at 11:40 p.m.
If convicted, Barajas faces up to life in prison.

At least 25 family members and friends of Barajas were in the courtroom, wearing buttons that said, "Forever in our hearts, David and Caleb Barajas" and with a picture of the two boys. At least 20 relatives and friends of Banda were also in the courtroom.

Before opening statements, Judge Terri Holder asked that family members take off the buttons, saying she did not want anything to influence the jury.
"This is a difficult case for everyone involved. Everyone in here has lost somebody they loved," she said.

Prosecutor: Father 'Executed' Drunk Driver After Wreck Killed Sons | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
"A drunk driver did not deserve "execution" by a Texas father accused of taking the law into his own hands in a fit of rage over the killing of his two sons in a wreck, a prosecutor told jurors on Tuesday."

And the guys kids did not deserve to be killed by a worthless drunk driver... Guy should be let off on temporary insanity.

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Of course the kids didn't deserve to die, and while I do feel the results are justified, you can't have a civilized society when one person takes it upon themselves to be judge, jury, and executioner. If the prosecution's story is correct, then both men are criminals, but it sounds like there might be enough facts to induce enough doubt to get the guy off.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
"A drunk driver did not deserve "execution" by a Texas father accused of taking the law into his own hands in a fit of rage over the killing of his two sons in a wreck, a prosecutor told jurors on Tuesday."

And the guys kids did not deserve to be killed by a worthless drunk driver... Guy should be let off on temporary insanity.

Correction; guy should be let off, no reason other than his two dead children needed.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
+1 on the temporary insanity. Would have been a better defense. Trying to lie and say "I didn't shoot him" just proves the father is scummy, himself.

If the father had said, "I don't even remember going in my house to get the gun. I just saw my sons dead and dying because of this drunk driver." it would be tough to get a conviction from a jury.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
what if someone is fatigued and driving and kills someone- since that is also driving impaired... should they "deserve what's coming" ?

It's all vehicular manslaughter, any way you cut it. Drunk, fall asleep driving, not paying attention to the road, etc.

If you killed my child, or multiple children of mine, while driving drunk or impaired, it would be real hard for me to not kill you also. Pay attention to the road and don't be a scumbag under the influence on the road. That shit is no joke.

I would love all drunk drivers that kill someone to be handled like this.

"You drink, You drive, You loose". If you kill someone, through the course of a decision you made (Drinking), then you deserve whats coming.

When my sister was in highschool, 3 of her friends were sideswipped and killed by a drunk driver going over 100 down a residential area on prom night. Guy got just a few years in prison and was out. A couple weeks after he got out he was arrested YET AGAIN for drunk driving.

Some people just don't learn, and in cases like that, those people do deserve a death sentence.

FrenchLicker

Enginerd
Jan 10, 2013
Naperthrill
+1 on the temporary insanity. Would have been a better defense. Trying to lie and say "I didn't shoot him" just proves the father is scummy, himself.

If the father had said, "I don't even remember going in my house to get the gun. I just saw my sons dead and dying because of this drunk driver." it would be tough to get a conviction from a jury.

What if another party shot him?

Kaeghl

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 18, 2008
Aurora, IL
It's all vehicular manslaughter, any way you cut it. Drunk, fall asleep driving, not paying attention to the road, etc.

If you killed my child, or multiple children of mine, while driving drunk or impaired, it would be real hard for me to not kill you also. Pay attention to the road and don't be a scumbag under the influence on the road. That shit is no joke.

When my sister was in highschool, 3 of her friends were sideswipped and killed by a drunk driver going over 100 down a residential area on prom night. Guy got just a few years in prison and was out. A couple weeks after he got out he was arrested YET AGAIN for drunk driving.

Some people just don't learn, and in cases like that, those people do deserve a death sentence.
wait, can you give me details?

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
wait, can you give me details?

This was back in the 90s in Aurora, 3 high school girl friends of my sisters got hit on homecoming night (not prom like I thought). They were Waubonsie Valley High School students. I didn't know them but what really hit close to home was she was supposed to be with them that night, but something came up at the last minute. Saved her life apparently.

Homecoming Tragedy Kills 4 - Chicago Tribune

bimmer4life

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Feb 18, 2008
Wheaton, Illinois
He just might get off. The timeline is so tight. So in that small window.He was sound enough to go get the gun then wack the guy and hide the gun where they cant find it? I can't say I blame the guy. But no gun and no residue on him? Hrmmm sounds like acquittal material. I bet if a juror finds the tiniest shadow of the doubt he walks.

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
I'm good with it.

Drunk Driving> Fatigued driving.

Fuck political correctness and word twisting. No. They are NOT equal.
Motherfucker got trashed and killed someone is NOT the same as poor bastard worked 20 hours straight trying to pay his bills and feed his family and lost attention behind the wheel.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I'm good with it.

Drunk Driving> Fatigued driving.

Fuck political correctness and word twisting. No. They are NOT equal.
Motherfucker got trashed and killed someone is NOT the same as poor bastard worked 20 hours straight trying to pay his bills and feed his family and lost attention behind the wheel.

oh okay.

Driving Drowsy as Bad as Driving Drunk - US News

Facts and Stats : Drowsy Driving – Stay Alert, Arrive Alive

Drowsy Driving Just As Dangerous As Drunk Driving: Study

do we know how "trashed" the subject was?

Cognitive impairment after approximately 18 hours awake is similar to that of someone with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.05%. After about 24 hours awake, impairment is equivalent to a BAC of 0.10%, higher than the legal limit in all states.

In addition, lower levels of alcohol (below the legal limit) amplify the effects of inadequate sleep.

CDC Features - Drowsy Driving: Asleep at the Wheel

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
The fact that so many people have multiple DUIs... Proves the system doesn't work... If he would've just gotten arrested, he would be out in a couple years... Not even close to losing my two kids - not saying it was the right thing to do... But I would've done the same most likely

This I worked with a guy who has had 3 that I have known of. Has no license and still drives. I'm sure he's still drinking and driving.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info