Full "super" moon 8/10 + Perseid meteor shower 8/11-13

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Conspiracy Lead Investigator
TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Full moon should be bigger then usual Sunday night Aug 10. 30% larger then normal full moon thanks to the full moon aligning with the lunar pergiee (moon to earth distance is shortest at 221,000 miles at 12:46 pm CT and full moon at 1:09pm CT)

Perseid Meteor shower is Aug 11-13, with peak times being around 80 meteors per hour. Visibility will be down because of the full moon so find a place with minimal light pollution and even then you may only see the brightest meteors. The best time to look for meteors would be soon after sunset, when the moon is still low in the east or just before sunrise, when the moon is low in the west.

Anyone want to do a late night meet 8/11 or 8/12 to check out the meteors/moon?

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Weather is turning out to be good. Might head out tonight somewhere.

[MENTION=11006]RobDD[/MENTION]

[MENTION=1317]ThirdgenTa[/MENTION]

Here is the usual spot we meet up at but its 2 hours from me and I'm not sure if I'm up for the trip tonight unless there's a few people going out there.

Otherwise ill check out the light pollution map and find a closer spot

"Green River State Wildlife Management Area / 375 Game Rd, Harmon, IL 61042"

its about 2 hours for me straight west down I88

Green River State Wildlife Area Clear Sky Chart

Lord Tin Foilhat

TCG Premium
Jul 8, 2007
Privy Chamber
Ended up being super clear outside. The moon was bright and did dim a good amount of the meteors but you still could see a lot if them. I drove out to the spot's exit off 88 and then drove a few miles south and just picked a road to camp on. Saved me 30 mins each way. I saw about 8 or so meteors in the hour i was there. Then i saw 2 more on the drive home and 2 really bright ones in villa park. I would call it a successful night :bigthumb:

Nows the time to check them out! (3am)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Lord Tin Foilhat
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list