How the upper 1% fly

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Like many things in the United Arab Emirates, Etihad Airways has gone above and beyond what most of us will ever expect. Today, the airline showcased their new "Residence" First Class suite. Most of us will never get to fly in it, but let's give it a look anyway.

mxciie6kpjksedwzeugg.jpg

James Hogan, Etihad Airways' President and Chief Executive Officer, said:

"These new living spaces will raise inflight product and service standards to their highest level yet in commercial aviation and alter air travellers' expectations of inflight comfort and luxury forever. Etihad Airways' A380 and B787 will deliver the most advanced airline cabins in the industry, while meeting all weight, range and cost targets at our desired seat count. This will allow us to offer products unparalleled in quality and style, yet at competitive prices across all three cabins."

rebj2dsh4xvqvkbeuk4z.jpg

The new products are the result of a project that began in 2008, when Etihad came to the realization that their customers' needs varied depending on the route and aircraft they were flying. So the airline has since opted for a different experience on each fleet type, rather than a cut-and-paste format like some airlines use. $20,000 is what you'll have to fork over to fly in The Residence from Abu Dhabi to London. Hogan predicts that large families and dignitaries will book the Residence.

b65vfhhule2sh0ycnjcf.jpg

ph6uygyota8eysvqb3nl.jpg

twqxcvmgjcdrlhnk11oa.jpg

tdoclum9fdjvxv0fghwx.jpg

Etihad has ten A380s on order, with the first expected to arrive this December. It will be flown from Adu Dhabi to Sydney and Melbourne, via London. Each A380 will have only one Residence on board. The Residence seating features the same leather as a Ferrari and also includes its own butler.

jdxpqysolqowxv3cyqyo.jpg

Etihad is calling the rest of their First Class seats "Apartments" and they're spacious in their own right.

If you have to settle for Business Class, (*please note the sarcasm) you'll find their new "Studio" seats quite sufficient.

biilmaj8sheka5vksgmw.jpg

qkdchmw2dsd5szxqdbic.jpg

All First and Business Class passengers will be provided noise cancelling headphones to use along with the most advanced in-flight entertainment system in the skies, the Panasonic eX3 system. Passengers will use touch-screen menus to select from over 750 hours of on-demand entertainment and gaming. A chilled mini bar will also be at arm's reach.

Etihad has also upgraded their Economy Class to what they call a Smart Seat, which features an ergonomic, adjustable headrest. Each seat will have its own touch screen for access to on demand entertainment.

imziwibji93sqmb8hpzp.jpg

:fu:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
And please tell me again why I should feel bad for not wanting to pay $4 a gallon for gas and why I'm tired of the amount of fucking taxes I pay and everything else being overpriced so these assholes can fly in a fucking apartment on a plane.

Fuck.

don't be pissed at the ass holes making bank off of this. be pissed at the morons running the good ol' US of corporate protection

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Just did some rough calculations....

Gulfstream G650 (if you are stupid rich why not go for the best plane?!): $65 million
Range: 7,000 nmi
Fuel Capacity: 44,200 lbs
Cost for range: $42,300 @ $6.50/gallon for Jet A

Distance from Abu Dhabi to London: 3400 mi
Rough cost for fuel alone for private plane: $20,000

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
Private jet of course. Then you're on your schedule, which is most important to rich people. AND you don't have to deal with crappy airports for the masses and whatever security they have...

Yeah, if you are paying for 1st class stuff like that, you don't have to go through the BS security that everyone else does, and sit in the terminal like the poors. You are in a private suite at the airport until your flight. Hell they might even bring you to the plane in a private car on the tarmac, so you don't even have to be seen with the low-lifes in the terminal.

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
Yeah, if you are paying for 1st class stuff like that, you don't have to go through the BS security that everyone else does, and sit in the terminal like the poors. You are in a private suite at the airport until your flight. Hell they might even bring you to the plane in a private car on the tarmac, so you don't even have to be seen with the low-lifes in the terminal.

I sprung for first class on the last vacation (figuring why not) & it has GREATLY changed from what it used to be.

The drinks are still free, and the food is free & OK, but no more airport lounge (it's for international 1st class only.)

That said, I paid ~$200 to upgrade & got the benefit of 2 bags checked (~$75), early boarding ($35), more leg-room ($35), Food ($13) and free drinks ($25+) so it cost me $200 vs ~$185 & I had a much bigger/better seat.

If you're checking bags & hate waiting, its not crazy expensive.

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
Anyone who has enough $$ to shell out $20k for a plane ride from Abu Dhabi to London probably has enough to buy their own jet (i would think, at least)

I know the upgrade to business for my flight to Germany last year would have been 3500 I believe. The first class ticket was 11k. That was just on united nothing uber fancy.

However my dad has a coworker who's wife is a united flight attendant to and from Germany. She was going to hook me up with a upgrade if there was a seat and she notified the other flight attendants of my seat location. The plane was full both was so I didn't get the bump :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info