Student loan debt makes graduate net worth 7 times lower than non-borrowers

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Report: Student loan debt makes graduate net worth 7 times lower than non-borrowers | MLive.com

LANSING -- The average household net worth for a young college graduate with student loan debt is only $8,700, while graduates without student loan debt have an average seven times higher, a new Pew Research report shows.

The report looks at households headed by a college graduate under age 40 and finds that households with student loan debt also tended to owe an average of $137,000, almost twice as much debt overall as households without student loan debt.

"Specifically, student debtor households are accumulating less wealth, in part, because they tend to owe relatively large amounts of other debt as well, from car loans to credit card debt," senior economist Richard Fry wrote.

Household incomes are roughly the same for college graduates, whether they borrowed or not, the Pew report states.

The relatively low net worth of households with student loan debt poses additional challenges in the event of financial hardship, the report argues, because it limits the options available for young adults.

"About 4-in-10 college-educated student debtors possess total debts exceeding the value of their assets, hence asset liquidation will not entirely meet their outstanding debts in the event of job losses and other unforeseen economic shocks," the report states.

A recent analysis by economic researchers with the Federal Reserve Bank of New York found home ownership rates for young college graduates are extremely low, and the Pew report finds that even graduates who do manage to buy a home aren't doing well.

"A minority of young adult households own their primary residence. But, when they do, student debtors are more likely than households without student debt to be 'underwater,' i.e., the outstanding mortgage balance as well as other loans secured by the primary residence exceeds the value of the residence," the Pew report states. "For example, 21 percent of college-educated student debtors are underwater on their primary residence, compared with 11 percent lacking student debt."

Since 2001, the median debt-to-income ratio for young households headed by a college graduate has grown from 108.3 percent to 204.6 percent in 2010, the last year for which data is available.

The ratio represents the percentage of annual income that would be necessary to pay off a household's entire debts.

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
I do a LOT of interviewing & while some college grads are extremely impressive (and had gone through classes on how to interview, and how to present themselves) not all have.

I always feel bad for the recent DePaul/Columbia grads that went 5 years, lived on campus, etc & are interviewing for a 40-45k/yr job. These guys will be in debt for 30 years.

I like to see a degree on a résumé but its not a deal breaker. You'd just better have done something impressive with those 4 years you weren't in school.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Word. I feel like High school only prepared me to go to a 4 year university and still have no idea what the hell I wanted to do with my life.

I think this is the real problem here. Everybody talks about the cost of college, it's an investment, and should be seen as that. It's stupid to invest $100k in a shit company, it's also bad to invest $100k in a shit education.

College loans need to start being looked at like every other loan. A bank should say, "So you want $100k so you can graduate with a degree in language arts?.....DENIED!"

Euro

GM or Nothing
Oct 22, 2007
Roselle
Real Name
Matt
College loans need to start being looked at like every other loan. A bank should say, "So you want $100k so you can graduate with a degree in language arts?.....DENIED!"

Fucking :werd: Ran into someone the other day who was looking for a job, but had a bachelors in English and a minor in literature and was dumbfounded as to why they couldn't find a job.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Except this is the elite's cash cow much like the housing market was. They're not going to let something like this happen.

I disagree, the biggest difference is the bank could take your house as collateral, which was working fine for years because homes were increasing in value at such a rapid pace, the bank would actually make even more money when people defaulted.

Bruce Jibboo

TCG Elite Member
Apr 18, 2008
Elgin
there is no getting out of student loans, ever. so that is the big difference vs houses.

people with garnished wages will consider themselves lucky their door didn't get breached :rofl:

r-SWAT-large570.jpg

SWAT Team Breaks Down Kenneth Wright's Door Because Of Unpaid Student Loans

Morepower4me

Perma Newb
May 22, 2014
Elgin
When I see the people with 120K of student loans I wonder how much of it went towards school though?
A buddy went to Depaul & paid $2k/mo for his apartment - out of student loan money. He lived close enough to live at home and take a 45 min Metra ride.
Another used the semesters overages for spring break trips.

No one seems to realize that you don't need to spend everything they give you. And if you don't mind working while you're going, you can reduce your costs greatly (albeit at the cost of your social life.)

Too many people view college as a chance to party for 5 years & then they spend the next 20 paying for it.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I feel like that article justifies people skipping any kind of post-high school education because it is expensive.

I think it is considered a long term investment. It is not going to pay itself off in the first year. And as long as you don't get some bullshit degree, you're probably going to be better off. And as usual, I'm not strictly talking college....any kind of training/education that qualifies you for more than flipping burgers.

And on a second note, if you can commute to your choice of school....do it. That is unless you want to more than double your loan to get the 'college experience'.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Also, that figure of $137k of school debt seems really high. I know it has been 12 years since I was in college, but as KJ said, I think you can get a bachelor's degree for much less than that. I also recommend going to community college first. Harper was ridiculously cheap when I was going there. I think I paid about $50/credit hour. I'm sure it is considerably more now, but it has to be significantly cheaper than a four year school.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info