What's enough horsepower?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
I feel like I've maybe made a post like this before but I can't find it so let's pretend I didn't, mkay? Mkay.

So I'm reading the thread about adding power to a CTS-V and after I get over the initial awe of how much power the car already has and how easy it is to add more, I start thinking to myself that I wouldn't be able to do anything with it.

With wide meat in the back and a chassis that can handle the power I still get a little squirrelly when the turbos spool. And on the winding hilly roads like what I live off of (see Mulhollond on the map below) the car is so fast that as soon as I'm on the gas I need to be back on the brakes.

map.png

So I wonder if a more powerful car like a 600hp CTS-V would be any faster in a situation like that or if it would simply be more of a handful. I kind of think that I'd kill myself or end up off the side of a cliff.

So for street use where do you draw the line on a car? At 556hp out of the CTS-V I can't imagine wanting any more. I'm not sure what I would do with it. So if you're not tracking your car where is your magic number?

IceCreamAssassin

When in doubt, throttle out
TCG Premium
Jan 28, 2011
Cary
I would literally daily drive a full race car. Cage, racing seats, and all. So I guess the answer to your question is whatever the car you're driving can take, and you can handle. Maybe it would blow the tires off if you nail it, but if you feather the throttle just right, get in the next gear for that rare straight away, then you'll be glad you have more power waiting for your right foot.

Breze84

$ AIN'T NO PITY IN C-NOTE CITY $
Aug 30, 2010
Chi-Town....
Whatever you feel is comfortable to you... I make 600whp N/A and its enough for what I do with it such as weekend driving and the occasional trip to the strip every once in a blue moon... Can I get more out of it N/A? Yea, I can probably push the 700whp mark! Can I make 900whp? Sure I can throw a SC on it! Is it at the top of my priority list? Not hardly lol... I got buddies who have 8 second cars making 850-900whp, Then I know guys who make 1400whp and cant even run a mid 9 second pass. Like I said, at 600whp with my power to weight ratio, Not many cars can fuck with me. But there is always someone faster...

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
600 on radials you will still blow the tires off on the street. I have a 325/45/17 and I can still spin them in the dead of summer.

I think 500 to 550 on the street would be perfect for tooling around and you still are faster than 95% of anything out there.

Moral of the story someone always has more power

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Whatever you feel is comfortable to you... I make 600whp N/A and its enough for what I do with it such as weekend driving and the occasional trip to the strip every once in a blue moon... Can I get more out of it N/A? Yea, I can probably push the 700whp mark! Can I make 900whp? Sure I can throw a SC on it! Is it at the top of my priority list? Not hardly lol... I got buddies who have 8 second cars making 850-900whp, Then I know guys who make 1400whp and cant even run a mid 9 second pass. Like I said, at 600whp with my power to weight ratio, Not many cars can fuck with me. But there is always someone faster...

what's your setup that you are making 600whp n/a??

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
With wide meat in the back and a chassis that can handle the power I still get a little squirrelly when the turbos spool. And on the winding hilly roads like what I live off of (see Mulhollond on the map below) the car is so fast that as soon as I'm on the gas I need to be back on the brakes.

So I wonder if a more powerful car like a 600hp CTS-V would be any faster in a situation like that or if it would simply be more of a handful. I kind of think that I'd kill myself or end up off the side of a cliff.

So for street use where do you draw the line on a car? At 556hp out of the CTS-V I can't imagine wanting any more. I'm not sure what I would do with it. So if you're not tracking your car where is your magic number?

This is a hard one because the issue really isn't directly related to the power the car makes, but rather the traction the cars has. While many may assume traction to be mutually inclusive to the total power the car makes, it sort of isn't. Case in point, boost-by-gear (or boost-by-speed) boost controllers. I am a big believer in them in that they tame a car's power down to preserve traction at lower speeds and allow the full power to unleash when at higher speeds when rolling inertia of the vehicle is already higher.

Another huge x factor that you alluded to is the area in which the car is driven. In the areas where I drive my cars, there is enough room where I can play a little and not fear an immediate drop off of a cliff. So for my intended use, a car that exhibits a little more speed may not become an issue.

Maybe 1200whp. In reality if street driving it's the most power you can put down without excessive traction issues. I thought 500whp was a lot, then got use to it. Then came 600, then 700, and so on.

I agree. Assuming the use of sticky tires, then somewhere around 4 digit horsepower is quite manageable if controlled correctly (aka speed-based scaled power delivery). Even more with an AWD vehicle.

I have to admit that while the thought is "cool" to know that my Pontiac has enough power on tap to spin its tires at 70mph if I stomp on the gas, I fucking hate the reality of it! It is just not fun if you get into wheelspin at that high of a speed when you didn't expect it. Considering that I may not have my car for much longer, I will probably keep the existing Eboost controller that is currently on the car, and leave it at that. But if I end up swapping turbos, moving to E85, and shooting for somewhere around 900rwhp, then I would definitely be controlling boost based upon vehicle speed and/or gear.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
At what point do you become content with HP? never....

I'm totally content with where I'm at. Like I said, I don't know that my abilities would allow me to do more with more. I could swap the turbos out, add a larger intercooler and have a 600hp car but it's so well balanced now that I'm not sure I'd want that.

This is a hard one because the issue really isn't directly related to the power the car makes, but rather the traction the cars has. While many may assume traction to be mutually inclusive to the total power the car makes, it sort of isn't. Case in point, boost-by-gear (or boost-by-speed) boost controllers. I am a big believer in them in that they tame a car's power down to preserve traction at lower speeds and allow the full power to unleash when at higher speeds when rolling inertia of the vehicle is already higher.

See I have that. I can limit first and second gear boost on the fly but I think it gives you an inorganic power band. I'd rather have a predictable power band and always know what I'm making.

Another huge x factor that you alluded to is the area in which the car is driven. In the areas where I drive my cars, there is enough room where I can play a little and not fear an immediate drop off of a cliff. So for my intended use, a car that exhibits a little more speed may not become an issue.

Touche.

I know some of you say you'd drive a full on race car on the street and whatever power that chassis could handle but that's kind of not the point I'm trying to make. Of course you can and of course you might but is that fully prepped 700hp race car going to be realistically faster than a much more comfortable 500hp street car? For the purposes of the track I totally get it. I'm talking a street car here, something likely to see the track on a very rare basis and therefore something that's not race prepped. Just a fast as balls street car.

Case in point: KJ's Grand Prix.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I know some of you say you'd drive a full on race car on the street and whatever power that chassis could handle but that's kind of not the point I'm trying to make. Of course you can and of course you might but is that fully prepped 700hp race car going to be realistically faster than a much more comfortable 500hp street car? For the purposes of the track I totally get it. I'm talking a street car here, something likely to see the track on a very rare basis and therefore something that's not race prepped. Just a fast as balls street car.

Case in point: KJ's Grand Prix.

I agree with this sentiment. Driving a full on racecar on the street as a DD is just not fun on anything longer than a short term basis. When I think of "full on racecar" I think of lack of creature comforts to save weight, drag suspension, a bit less focus on driveability, probably peak-ier powerband, etc. All the cars I build usually are mainly focused on being a balls-fast street car first, and able to hit a decent ET at the track as an afterthought. Usually both can be achieved, but since no weigh reduction takes place, then track ET's do suffer a bit. If I am going to DD it, then the car needs to be comfortable, have all factory installed creature comforts, and handle well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info