Where can I get Euro's before I go on vacation?

muskie

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2011
Palatine
When my ex-GF went to Ireland for 2 weeks Chase was the easiest and cheapest. She gave me cash. I went to Chase said this is the denominations I want, they ordered it and it came in the next day. I don't recall them really charging a fee and if they did it was really small.

Places at the airports and currency exchanges will rape you in fees.

Honestly the best thing to do would be open a credit card that doesnt charge international conversion fees and use that as much as you can. But for the "cash" Chase was the best... at least 3 years ago

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Do not bother exachanging USD into Euro's. No matter where you do it at, you will be raped. Especially do not EVER exchange at an airport or any currency exchange place. You will get the worst raping there!

I have traveled to many many places throughout the world, including all over Europe, so I feel I have a good grasp on things when it comes to smart traveling. I suggest that you just use your ATM card over there as normal in their ATM machines. The conversion is done between the USD in your account and whatever the world exchange rate for is that day between the two monies, and then the local currency is dispensed at the machine. No fees. Well, technically there are international transaction fees, but we are talking literally pennies. This also eliminates the need for carrying large sums of money on you during the first part of the trip which can either be lost or stolen in some cases. Just make sure to call your bank and notify them of when and where you are going so that they don't block any transactions while you are overseas due to assuming that your card info has been stolen.

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
Don't go to an airport's currency exchange. They wont give you the best rate, its like having the rental car company fill up the tank at $12/gallon. Chase bank FTW. Current exchange is $1 = ~0.74 Euro so you want to get most for your buck.

Use a credit card wherever possible, of course its good to carry some euros. Most credit card companies charge "foreign fees", but you might be able to find one that doesn't. I just went to Germany, I probably spent close to a grand for hotels and food, and I think I was charged about $16 in fees.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
do you have a chase sapphire preferred card? if not him me up i'll send you a referral link. no foreign transaction fees. you may/may not have another card that has this benefit (although most don't.) if you get a new one i think it comes with a chip too that is popular (required?) in europe.

else just go to ATM for cash, bank will have a fee too but not as bad as airport. you can also open up a checking account at some bank that has no fee, although i forgot which one offered that and am feeling lazy at the moment. i can look it up if you want though. typing this from cambodia, they actually use us dollars here for everything but change.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info