Save space on HDD

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Just realized I only have 600mb free on my C: drive HDD. Honestly I have no idea where all the space went as I don't download or install any files. I have two other drives I use for storage. I think it has to be all the windows updates that auto install.

Ran some disk cleaners, emptied recycle bin, defragmented, any other ideas? I was thinking of uninstalling the windows updates since I'm positive that's where all my disk space went.

Hard drive in question is a Western Digital 74GB Rapter Drive. I do NOT want to get a new hard drive.

Freebeer187

The Bolt Rounder
Feb 2, 2009
Schaumburg
Chances are good the windows update install files are not deleting.

Go here:
Windows Update files are located in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

Delete everything inside the download folder. This will remove the update installation files NOT the applied updates.

Also have you used CCleaner?
Download CCleaner 4.08.4428 - FileHippo.com

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Delete old system restore files and drop the system restore percentage down.

This. I've freed up 20GB a few times from family/friends computers because of multiple restores spanning back 3 years.

Also, press your start button, type %temp% in the search bar and hit enter. Highlight everything and delete it all. If you can't delete it, just skip it.

Rebel

TCG Elite Member
Dec 15, 2008
Reno, NV
Delete old system restore files and drop the system restore percentage down.

I don't think my computer creates restore points. I never have any.

Chances are good the windows update install files are not deleting.

Go here:

Delete everything inside the download folder. This will remove the update installation files NOT the applied updates.

Also have you used CCleaner?
Download CCleaner 4.08.4428 - FileHippo.com

I love CCleaner. The download folder only had 80 mb.

Going through spacemonger, most of my space was being taken by the Apple programs. Itunes and iPhone updates. Got back 11 gb from that. It's actually pretty cool how it breaks down all the folders. Kind of like a square pie chart.

I have another 10 gb in C:\Windows\Installer. Probably more updates?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info