10 weeks of vacation? but wait thats not all of it

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
This sounds a little not right lol, this dude claims he gets 10 weeks of vacation at 10 year of service and every 5 years after that he gets 7 more weeks on top, so a worker that starts at age 20 and stays with the company untill the retirement age of 65 will have 59 weeks of vacation a year hmmmm something does not math right

ClubGP Message Forum troubleshooting

maybe everybody just makes baller stacks and retires when there 35 from that place, he is the 4th post and a few more in there

snakebyte

Addict
Oct 30, 2011
ATX
i dont see where he said that

Im going off of the OP

I have a lot of vacation time saved up -- about 250 hours. Not only that, but I accrue 12hrs/month. At that rate, I could work 4 days/wk for over 10 months straight and still have some vacation time left. And our hours don't expire. There is a cap on the total # of hours I can accumulate, but the cap continues to rise as seniority increases.

So, no matter what there is a cap, as you grow in the company they will put a cap on it at one point or another or slow down the rate that you get.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
Im going off of the OP

I have a lot of vacation time saved up -- about 250 hours. Not only that, but I accrue 12hrs/month. At that rate, I could work 4 days/wk for over 10 months straight and still have some vacation time left. And our hours don't expire. There is a cap on the total # of hours I can accumulate, but the cap continues to rise as seniority increases.

So, no matter what there is a cap, as you grow in the company they will put a cap on it at one point or another or slow down the rate that you get.

it was the 4th post down in the link i was taking about he said nothing of a cap he just said every 5 years after the first 10 he gets 7 more weeks of vacation time

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
why does this matter, are you trying to get a job with the same company, I am sure it is capped. Lots of companies offer a 4 day work week. especially 10 hr work day jobs.

i just thought it was a far fetched claim for so many weeks of paid vacation, i know there are alot of jobs that dont work that many actual days but to get 20 or 30 weeks of paid vacation seems crazy

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Military gets 30 days a year (many people can't even use this lol) However you can roll over up to an additional 30 days (it might even be 40 now) before it expires. I know a couple of guys that have saves like 65 days of leave which is insane.

Most people bank it up, and then use it right before they get out of the service to get them buffer time to find a new job. I currently have like 41 days I think.

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
my best vaca was straight out of college with accenture. consulting and travel, they give a generous amount as it is disruptive to your life. 5 weeks a year (200 hours). carry over was also allowed up to a bank cap of 240. so i could bring 6 weeks into a new year, and earn 5 weeks that year. anything over the cap was automatically paid out. i left in 2007.

i started working at a local model consulting firm. i forgot how much i had, 4 weeks? they had a bank and cap of 100 hours. over that you could not carry into a new year, and you would not get paid out. after 6000 billable consulting hours, with a consulting utilization rate of 80%, you were expected to earn a sabbatical in 4 years. 80%-85% is a typical utilization target for consulting; this means you are working for a customer not just sitting around doing internal things but kind of costing them money. close to 100% you'd earn this in 3 years. the sabbatical was 4 contiguous weeks off; you had to take them in a row. you were paid 75% normal rate, and this was separate from vaca. in 4.5 years i had something like 9000 billable hours, so basically 1.5 sabbaticals. if i didn't get my current job at ibm i was going to use the 1 i earned to go to eastern europe for a month. but i did get this job. i wasn't paying attention and lost some of my hours to the cap as well.

leaving both these jobs i got paid out money earned up for hours in the bank.

i'm at ibm now which supposedly doesn't track your time, and had articles i read about in the paper before that indicated as much and that they had not for years. my offer letter came with no specification for vacation time; i asked the HR person who said 3 weeks. i asked my boss who said they don't keep track. he was new; joining ibm via getting acquired. in reality he certainly didn't track or care; if i took vacation every week he wouldn't have had a problem if i was selling stuff and getting my job done. orientation said 3 weeks, and after a long time (10 years?) 4 weeks (i don't know if i'll even be here at the end of this year.) there is no bank, and it is possible but painful to move days from this year into the next year, if you have a manager that keeps track or cares. i should also note i have 5 personal holidays so it does kind of net out to 4 weeks. PH can't be carried into a next year though. and it is unfortunate that 1. the articles i read prior to joining are completely incorrect and 2. my current manger keeps a pretty watchful eye on what i have and what i use. my original manager i could have told "i'm going to be in germany next week" - working remotely or not working at all - and all would be good. i wouldn't write down i was taking vaca anywhere either, only the people who would need to reach me would know or care. my current one, that's simply not an option.

i actually am pushing as many vaca days this year as i can into the next, and already taking 2 international vacations by the end of may. i have a flight scheduled to go to buenos aires 9/21 with no return. i can move it (at a cost) up to january 15 in the future. we'll see how this all shakes out. on one hand my current vacation policy is a #fwp, on the other it's still the crappiest i've had since graduation.

this is the new york times article on IBM vacation:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/31/nyregion/31vacation.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

i'm actually curious if it even represented the state in 2007 accurately. my (new to ibm and getting acquired) boss told me to google and read about policy after i noted it was missing in my offer letter and this is what i read.

a bank that pays out, or a policy that actually worked as noted in that article would be nice options. unfortunately my policy works absolutely nothing like that in this article. under a different boss it is possible to get closer.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
my best vaca was straight out of college with accenture. consulting and travel, they give a generous amount as it is disruptive to your life. 5 weeks a year (200 hours). carry over was also allowed up to a bank cap of 240. so i could bring 6 weeks into a new year, and earn 5 weeks that year. anything over the cap was automatically paid out. i left in 2007.

i started working at a local model consulting firm. i forgot how much i had, 4 weeks? they had a bank and cap of 100 hours. over that you could not carry into a new year, and you would not get paid out. after 6000 billable consulting hours, with a consulting utilization rate of 80%, you were expected to earn a sabbatical in 4 years. 80%-85% is a typical utilization target for consulting; this means you are working for a customer not just sitting around doing internal things but kind of costing them money. close to 100% you'd earn this in 3 years. the sabbatical was 4 contiguous weeks off; you had to take them in a row. you were paid 75% normal rate, and this was separate from vaca. in 4.5 years i had something like 9000 billable hours, so basically 1.5 sabbaticals. if i didn't get my current job at ibm i was going to use the 1 i earned to go to eastern europe for a month. but i did get this job. i wasn't paying attention and lost some of my hours to the cap as well.

leaving both these jobs i got paid out money earned up for hours in the bank.

i'm at ibm now which supposedly doesn't track your time, and had articles i read about in the paper before that indicated as much and that they had not for years. my offer letter came with no specification for vacation time; i asked the HR person who said 3 weeks. i asked my boss who said they don't keep track. he was new; joining ibm via getting acquired. in reality he certainly didn't track or care; if i took vacation every week he wouldn't have had a problem if i was selling stuff and getting my job done. orientation said 3 weeks, and after a long time (10 years?) 4 weeks (i don't know if i'll even be here at the end of this year.) there is no bank, and it is possible but painful to move days from this year into the next year, if you have a manager that keeps track or cares. i should also note i have 5 personal holidays so it does kind of net out to 4 weeks. PH can't be carried into a next year though. and it is unfortunate that 1. the articles i read prior to joining are completely incorrect and 2. my current manger keeps a pretty watchful eye on what i have and what i use. my original manager i could have told "i'm going to be in germany next week" - working remotely or not working at all - and all would be good. i wouldn't write down i was taking vaca anywhere either, only the people who would need to reach me would know or care. my current one, that's simply not an option.

i actually am pushing as many vaca days this year as i can into the next, and already taking 2 international vacations by the end of may. i have a flight scheduled to go to buenos aires 9/21 with no return. i can move it (at a cost) up to january 15 in the future. we'll see how this all shakes out. on one hand my current vacation policy is a #fwp, on the other it's still the crappiest i've had since graduation.

this is the new york times article on IBM vacation:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/31/nyregion/31vacation.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

i'm actually curious if it even represented the state in 2007 accurately. my (new to ibm and getting acquired) boss told me to google and read about policy after i noted it was missing in my offer letter and this is what i read.

a bank that pays out, or a policy that actually worked as noted in that article would be nice options. unfortunately my policy works absolutely nothing like that in this article. under a different boss it is possible to get closer.

Didn+t+read_c97649_4240427.gif

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info