Documentary "Blackfish" ---- Anyone see it?

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I've been wanting to see this since it got hyped up at Sundance, but haven't yet. I don't know if anyone ever saw "The Cove" (which my finance balled her eyes out during for basically a straight hour) but it completely changed my perspective on a lot of stuff. Would love to see Blackfish as it's sparked some serious discussion, and now manjor media is starting to cover it.

Kinda goes along the same lines as our "Destroying Ocean" thread we have in the on topic area.

Trailer below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OEjYquyjcg

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
I watched it last night on CNN, it was extremely eye opening and a well made film. It makes me never want to visit SeaWorld. The things that occured in the 60s/70s and early days of SeaLand and SeaWorld was disturbing to watch. I know bad things happened back in those days and well before that, but researchers have learned so much about these magnificent and intelligent mammals over the years that prompts a needed change. The way SeaWorld seperates these social animals from their units is completely wrong, and to profit off it? You can argue they spend millions on research, preservation and caring for the Orcas and other animals, but the captivity of the animals for entertainment is just depressing. The latest death of a trainer at SeaWorld in 2010 has sparked alot of concern and of course, this movie/documentary.

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Why would it be? Orcas get depressed, dont get a whole lot of room to do anything...cant socialize with their own kind...the fins become malformed...of course they have a much shorter lifespan :hs:

Exactly. I really liked the quote that said, "go live in your bathtub for 20 years." I mean that's essentially what they do. I couldn't even imagine having the entire ocean to roam and then being put in a puddle for the rest of my life. I'd freak out too. These animals aren't as stupid as people would like to believe. It's not like catching a hampster.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Just watched the full Blackfish video... and having experienced Orcas only in the wild and learning of what Seaworld has done to them for as long as I've been on this planet... really makes you sick.

Seems obvious to me that in this case, having the money which the whales have provided to Seaworld only enables Seaworld to prolong the whales own captivity. Kinda makes you question zoos and every other place where animals are kept for nothing more than the amusement of humans.

Anyways... I went on a whale watching trip in 2011 from Seattle up into Candian water and came away with some great pictures. Whales most certainly are intelligent animals that enjoy and embrace community and teamwork in the wild. I was able to glean that myself in the couple of hours that I was lucky enough to watch them in the wild. The pods we watched were amazing. It was crazy though, because you could tell they weren't only being watched... they were absolutely watching us as well and seemingly enjoying it - because they weren't in a rush to swim away or leave.

Here's some of the pics I took. The smallest we saw was probably around 15-18' and we were told that one was about 2 years old (the tour was aware what pod we were watching, had named all the individual whales and knew quite about each of them) and the largest was probably over 40' in length and had a massive 6'+ dorsal fin. Amazing to see the size of the whales in person... even at a distance. In all, there were 12-15 whales.

DSC_0997.jpg

DSC_0951.jpg

DSC_0925.jpg

DSC_0947.jpg

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

This is the largest one
DSC_0089-1.jpg

Only got to capture one jumping and only got the camera up in time to see it landing
DSC_0120-1.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

DSC_0177.jpg

DSC_0176-1.jpg

DSC_0226.jpg

DSC_0227.jpg

DSC_0228.jpg

This was not a jump, but rather them "peeking" at us. They would literally hover like that for a bit and look around then just slip back into the water.
DSC_0286.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

DSC_0315-1.jpg

DSC_0352-1.jpg

DSC_0372-1.jpg

Hope the pictures are appreciated.

Primalzer

TCG Elite Member
Sep 14, 2006
I saw "Blackfish" in theaters when it had it's limited release in Chicago. I was actually fairly disappointed with it. I mean it has some powerful moments, but they don't ever seize your emotions or draw you in well enough. Just not as well done, as I think they could have done the whole thing. It's worth a watch, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. Much preferred "The Cove"

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
Just watched Blackfish. Was pretty bad, but in a good way. :hs: I don't know how anyone could think that those small tanks are big enough for killer whales.

Also, just as an FYI, Killer Whales aren't perfect angels in the wild either. Sometimes they can be rather sadistic, such as this one:

whale throws seal 50 feet in air Video | Break.com

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info