So when you buy new tires...

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Do you expect recently made tires? Reason i ask is today i picked up some new tires for the tow vehicle and i looked at the manufacturing date and they were built in the 52nd week of 2012, is it unreasonable not want tires made almost a year ago? I know tires have about a 6 year shelf life so i really don't know how i feel about getting tires that have sat that long, if it was a couple of months i could understand since they have to be distributed ti different states/stores

What do you guys think?

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Tire material does change during the course of it's life due to heat build up , and also weather elements . People should watch for cracking and dry rot in the tires after years of normal abuse . Rubber is also porous . Im pretty sure softer tires are more prone to releasing air faster through themselves . Aging tires I believe do the same thing as they get older too .

Another thing people don't realize is the amount of damage that happens to a tire when it is run low on pressure for many miles . It causes progressive damage to the sidewall internally . Something you can not see . It actually happens at any time the tire is run low and driven . Always keep your tires at the right psi .

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
Special size tires will usually sit longer because they are less demand until somebody needs them . Then when needed they will be located .

What size did you get ?

265/75/16

It's not like you bought a gallon of milk that's ready to expire tomorrow. :)

lol

im prettty sure all the used rubber on my cars is like 10-15 years old

:eek3:

I guess a year is not too bad but then where do you draw the line? two years?

Blood on Blood

rumble baby rumble
Apr 6, 2005
Here is another way to look at it from an example; you go out now and purchase a 2013 sports car for DD / cruising.

Reality, that vehicle may have sat on the lot for a year, which the tires were exposed to all elements.

When signing the papers and laying a patch while exiting the lot, do you think about the age of the tires? Hell No, you just want to go cruise, fish tail, drag race, hang with the boys, put some miles / to from work on the car, etc. Shit, the night of the purchase you are most likely researching / ordering performance parts.

No one is thinking about the age of the tires on the new car, which are a year+ old and not a virgin to Mother Nature.

May be a little late, but if this is a concern, then go back to the tire shop and discuss a 10% credit or discount towards a future purchase due to the age of the tires.

They may tell you to pound sand, but if it gives you piece of mind, then it doesn't hurt to try.

Fast99Snake

track rat
Jun 26, 2005
I worked at a tire warehouse/wholesaler for a short time in between jobs back a ways so I will speak with a slight level of expertise.

Our rule of thumb was that it could be up to three years old before it became considered an "old" tire, then after that it would be sold at half price.

I'd consider one year old to still be a fine new tire assuming it was stored indoors.

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
^^^^exactly. ...
One year old NEW tire is still a new tire, at the small dealership where I use to work we installed tires that were more that 4 yo almost 5, think about this...... the tires are stores indoors, never been used, when u have a car stored in ur garage for 10 years.... those tires are still good to go even thou they are mounted, right? So don't worry!
But just so u can be jealous when a bought a set of four tires for my jeep I had to order'em, I bought the triplethread from Goodyear and I got them freshly made. Haha!

Burtonrider10022

TCG Elite Member
Feb 25, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Real Name
Yes
im prettty sure all the used rubber on my cars is like 10-15 years old

The tires on my jetski trailer are still the ones from the factory when we bought it... in 1993...

They just successfully made a trip home from almost Kalamazoo, MI to Orland Park, IL earlier this year, and a few days ago made it from Mokena to Crestwood for winter storage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info