Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
We already knew Mars was blanketed in ancient riverbeds, which points to the existence of water in the distant past. What we didn't know, however, is that H2O exists on Mars in the here and now -- albeit embedded in Martian soil. A paper recently published in the journal Science revealed that as much as two percent of dirt from the Red Planet contains the precious liquid. The Curiosity rover gathered samples of the sand from the "Rocknest" area near the Gale Crater back in August of 2012 and delivered it to the Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instrument inside its belly. After heating the sample to around 835 Celcius, SAM was able to detect a surprising amount of carbonate materials, which are formed in the presence of water.

Laurie Leshin, dean of science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the study's lead author said the findings are conclusive: "If you took about a cubic foot of the dirt and heated it up, you'd get a couple of pints of water out of that -- a couple of water bottles' worth that you would take to the gym." Another SAM discovery is a mineral called perchlorate that could interfere with thyroid functions if ingested. Still, if we could work around that, the findings could prove tremendously useful for future Mars explorers. "When we send people," Leshin said in the paper, "they could scoop up the soil anywhere on the surface, heat it just a bit, and obtain water." We're likely years away from having fishing expeditions in Mars, of course, but this does soften the blow about the possible lack of life.

NASA's Curiosity finds two percent of Martian soil is comprised of water

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Come on guys jesus! We all know the negative effects of Mars, how may more fucking times does it have to be proven??? :picard:

arnold+on+mars.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I just don't understand how earth is covered in living shit, but every other planet is rock or gas. It is statistically (almost) impossible that we're the only living organisms in the entire universe. So I'm really not surprised by this finding. It definitely is exciting though.

There are, I'm sure, different types of life that exist on planets where humans could not. We have evolved to live on a Class M planet with its combination of an Oxygen/Nitrogen atmosphere and its temperature range. It's the only Class M in our solar system so the other planets seem dead to us. If/when we find another Class M planet, chances are greater than 0 that it will contain our type of life.

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Laurie Leshin, dean of science at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and the study's lead author said the findings are conclusive: "If you took about a cubic foot of the dirt and heated it up, you'd get a couple of pints of water out of that -- a couple of water bottles' worth that you would take to the gym." Another SAM discovery is a mineral called perchlorate that could interfere with thyroid functions if ingested. Still, if we could work around that, the findings could prove tremendously useful for future Mars explorers. "When we send people," Leshin said in the paper, "they could scoop up the soil anywhere on the surface, heat it just a bit, and obtain water." We're likely years away from having fishing expeditions in Mars, of course, but this does soften the blow about the possible lack of life.

It's just perchlorate. As long as it is not bonded with the hydrogen and or oxygen of the water in any way through some sort of covalent bond then it is simple heating and distillation away from drinking. Worst case scenario is if those elements were bonded by others in some sort of way and we needed to cause a reaction to reassemble those bonds so that we separate the CLO4 and the H20; as well as any other molecules in the mix. Either way, not the end of the world, and it bodes extremely well for future colonization!

Hmmmm, now if only we could launch some simple organisms (think bacteri, lichens, algae, and such) that utilize iron as a source of fertilizer, are temp resistant, and require minimal water. Boom Martian ecosystem! :jg: Shoot a rocket or two worth of Miracle Grow at that shit and have corn fields growing by years end! ;)

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
I think i read somewhere the planet would need a source of methane to support life.

My question to the rovers is why it took them so long to find water if it's everywhere in the soil? They have been up there for years.

So we send the astronauts up with a few boxes of Taco Bell. :dunno:

In all seriousness, my venture of a guess to an answer of your question is that the previous rovers were nowhere nearly as large or complex as this one. There is only so much stuff that can be fitted onto a rover, so perhaps the heating and spectrometer equipment just were too heavy to make the previous flights while more basic testing was taking place.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
It's just perchlorate. As long as it is not bonded with the hydrogen and or oxygen of the water in any way through some sort of covalent bond then it is simple heating and distillation away from drinking. Worst case scenario is if those elements were bonded by others in some sort of way and we needed to cause a reaction to reassemble those bonds so that we separate the CLO4 and the H20; as well as any other molecules in the mix. Either way, not the end of the world, and it bodes extremely well for future colonization!

Hmmmm, now if only we could launch some simple organisms (think bacteri, lichens, algae, and such) that utilize iron as a source of fertilizer, are temp resistant, and require minimal water. Boom Martian ecosystem! :jg: Shoot a rocket or two worth of Miracle Grow at that shit and have corn fields growing by years end! ;)

What do they say about covalent bonds in this school?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info