Moving trucks

bigsammoe

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Gurnee
The girl and i are moving from Des plaines to waukegan next sat the 14th. We are going to a 2 brm place so a 16' truck is what ive been told is what we should get.

just wondering if any one has a hook up?

so far penseke gave us 50.39 for the day and .70 a mile..

any thoughts on the price?

i am new to using moving trucks and renting them for myself.

thanks!

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
Penske period. Try to negotiate with them by calling. If you get a better price (from say U-haul who you should never trust with a truck), then call back and tell them what u-haul said. Usually they price match.

Difference is, Penske takes care of their trucks and the customer service is amazing. I've done 2 cross country trips towing as well with their 20 foot trucks and never had a single problem. Plus the diesels they have in their trucks are fairly good.

Fiance and I from 3 years back moving from Ohio to Texas:

IMG_20110424_111802.jpg

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
[MENTION=126]Dasfinc[/MENTION] just got a deal he was bragging about. Lol

Totally agree with whats already been said here.

Penske I've heard nothing but good things about as far as truck quality/maintenance is concerned.

But Uhaul prices decimate them pretty badly unfortunatly, especially if you are doing a rather local move.

I need to move 10 miles south down route 59:

Penske offered me $55 a day for a 17 foot truck at 89 cents per mile with my AAA Discount. Their 26 foot truck is $119 a day with my discount

Uhaul offered me $29 a day for an 18 foot truck at 1.19 a mile.
However-
Uhaul also offers the fucking 26 foot truck for $39 a day still at only 1.19 a mile.

Needless to say, I have a 26 foot truck reserved for my move.... TOTAL over-kill, but there is a solid chance of needing two trips with the 17 foot truck that I REALLY rather not deal with, and then obviously its $15-16 cheaper to rent the big truck between fuel and mileage costs if I need two trips in the 18 foot truck Vs. one trip in the 26 foot truck... Also, its going to be a bitch driving this fucking thing (but that's what insurance is for).

Another little tidbit, most of Uhauls 24 and 26 foot trucks are TopKick chassis cabs, and are relativity newer, at least in our area, which I'd imagine will be less run-down and a bit more reliable than some of the other shit I've seen in their 18 foot fleet... My local store has a Pre 97 F-250 chassis cab still in active service...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
uhaul sucks dick. they fucked my move up sooo bad... i ordered truck 3 weeks in advance. 2 days before the move they call and say they have no truck.. i end up with a smaller truck, no ac and instead of 8am pickup i got 130. oh and instead of streamwood it was aurora.

If I was in that kind of situation, I'd expect to not pay a dime in mileage, I sure hope you didn't.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
so think the 16 footer for a 2 bedroom apartment would be big enough? I mean i talked with so many freaking companies they all same the same but dont want to pay any more.

Think about it this way:

You are renting a vehicle that you get billed by the mileage for.

Mileage seems to be the same almost regardless of the size of the truck almost across the board.

Why would any rental company recommend a truck 'bigger than what you need' when they in fact make more money if you have to take additional trips?

Even with just my 10 mile move, 2 trips in a 18 foot truck between fuel and mileage costs is about $5 more than renting the bigger truck and only having to make one trip.

That and the bigger the floorspace of the truck, the easier it will be to load and unload, Vs. piling your shit to the roof in boxes.

framos242

Drink the shot, pussy....
Sep 9, 2008
I always tell people get the bigger truck. Then you don't have to waste as much time playing Tetris or making two trips. It is almost always worth it.

GO BIG OR GO HOME.

I am helping my cousin move tomorrow and he grabbed a 24 footer with the liftgate.
100% agreed. I moved a few months ago and I thought a smaller truck was needed. I was wrong and did the move in one trip. Well worth it. Good luck!

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
Ok, I own and manage 2 Uhaul dealerships in East Dundee and Rockford. Uhauls trucks are designed for household moves whereas Penske is designed for commercial trucking, the box on the Uhaul is much lower and easy to load. Also, Uhaul has been cranking out newer trucks for a few years now and has a younger fleet than Penske now. There are still some older trucks floating around for local rentals but they are pretty decent.

I would say you could get away with our 14' truck for a 2 bedroom apartment move but if you aren't sure go with the 17' it's not much more $.

On a local rental the 17' truck is $29.95/ day plus $.79/ mile Sun-Thursday and $1.19 Friday and Saturday.

Des plaines to Waukegan is about 30 miles so round trip 60 miles would be about $72(on the weekend) plus the $29.95 so you should be able to do it for right around $100!

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
My friends rented a uhaul to move to college, thing caught on fire. Uhauls customer service was a joke too...

Maybe your dealership has better trucks but the ones around here are cruddy compared to Penske.

Of course I live in the south side ghettos so we don't get nice things...+

http://truck-rental-services-review.toptenreviews.com/u-haul-review.html

Pros
U-Haul offers a great selection of services, good territory coverage and a nice selection of additional products you may need.

Cons
More expensive than their competitors and very few customer support features.

The Verdict: 8.2/10 In many cases, U-Haul may be the only company that can suit your needs, but if they are not, try going somewhere else.

Additionally, the Times discovered that their aging fleet or trucks and trailers included a number of vehicles that were in poor condition and were not properly service in between each trip. In many cases, some vehicles had gone over a year without proper upkeep, including giving the vehicles new brakes and tires. Many of the trucks remain on the road after they have racked up over 200,000 miles. Although they continually buy new trucks and sell older models, the company has no policy as to when a vehicle needs to be retired from the fleet, so your reservation is a matter of luck to some extent. In comparison, Penske’s oldest trucks are no more than 3 ½ years old and the average age of Budget’s fleet is 2 ½ years.

Summary:
Because U-Haul is the only one to offer trailer rentals and one of only two truck rental services companies to offer storage pod moving, you might have little choice but to go with U-Haul. If you do have the option though, you may want to consider one of their competitors that has a lower price and a higher customer service record.

Might be out of date, no reference given.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
The way Uhaul works is that they take the older trucks and retire them to local rentals only. The one way or long distance trucks are the newer models which tend to be under 75,000 miles.

I have 5 local trucks here in Dundee:
1 has 4900 miles
1 has 52,000 miles
2 have around 80,000 miles
And 1 has 211,000 miles that I have had for years and it has been an amazingly reliable truck. Basically, the next major maintenance it needs then Uhaul will retire the truck permanently.

shockerracing.com

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 9, 2006
Dundee, IL
shocker my local uhaul (des plaines) said 69.95 for the day and .99 a mile that was for a 17'. that seemed way to high.

if i can get it for 30 a day and .60-70 a mile id be happy, we also tried getting unlimited but it was 200.

Which location? The truck should never be $69.95/day? Did you go to the corporate center in Des Plaines? When do you need the truck?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info