whats wrong with this picture.............

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
8C8779629-130829_fastfood_hmed_0406p.blocks_desktop_large.jpg

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Not only that but it's a tax on the people that buy fast food which... the majority of are working class. So they end up paying more for the food, eventually they sell less of it which makes $15 wages even less sustainable for the stores and things progress from there.

It's just such short sighted thinking. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and telling them they need to work there and if they all quit today all of their jobs would be filled tomorrow by other people eager to work for the existing salary. Given this, the fact that "living wage" is a term that varies with location and the fact that you have no right to support a family off any given job and I just don't see why the government should have any say in this at all.

You're also eliminating the motivation to better yourself so you can climb up the ladder.

Stupid all around.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Not only that but it's a tax on the people that buy fast food which... the majority of are working class. So they end up paying more for the food, eventually they sell less of it which makes $15 wages even less sustainable for the stores and things progress from there.

It's just such short sighted thinking. Nobody is holding a gun to their head and telling them they need to work there and if they all quit today all of their jobs would be filled tomorrow by other people eager to work for the existing salary. Given this, the fact that "living wage" is a term that varies with location and the fact that you have no right to support a family off any given job and I just don't see why the government should have any say in this at all.

You're also eliminating the motivation to better yourself so you can climb up the ladder.

Stupid all around.

Not to mention that you're losing pay during the strike which will take months, maybe years to make up even if you do get that dollar increase in pay...

For example, lets say I strike for two or three weeks because I want a $15 an hour paying job instead of the $14 I'm making now. I work 8 hours a day, so I'd make $8 more a day if I eventually got the raise.

But, if I strike I'm losing $160 a day in pay times two weeks. So $160 x 14 = $2,240. At that $8 a day increase in pay that I eventually would get striking, it would take 280 working days just to break even on the pay I lost during the strike.

LETS ALL STRIKE!!!!

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
yeah but

Not to mention that you're losing pay during the strike which will take months, maybe years to make up even if you do get that dollar increase in pay...

For example, lets say I strike for two or three weeks because I want a $15 an hour paying job instead of the $14 I'm making now. I work 8 hours a day, so I'd make $8 more a day if I eventually got the raise.

But, if I strike I'm losing $160 a day in pay times two weeks. So $160 x 14 = $2,240. At that $8 a day increase in pay that I eventually would get striking, it would take 280 working days just to break even on the pay I lost during the strike.

LETS ALL STRIKE!!!!

if you strike you don't work!!!! yaaaaayyyyyy! no work! yaaaayyyyy! :rollpicard:

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
If they want to strike who cares? Them making more money would improve our economy more than the fast food industry companies making larger profits would.

Wrong...

More money to workers does equal less profit for the food industry, yes. But when the food industry is making less profit, they are less likely to increase hiring. In fact, they may even lay off workers to make up for that loss.

Basic economics.

DanJ

>
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 25, 2007
Aurora
Every day i feel like their is some new re-fucking-tarded demand from the bottom of the society barrel. I hate to say it, but I blame Obama for making all these people feel so damn entitled. If you don't like how much your minimum wage job pays, get a new job.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If they want to strike who cares? Them making more money would improve our economy more than the fast food industry companies making larger profits would.

No it wouldn't because they would pass the cost onto you. In turn they would sell less product and and employ less people.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's very short sighted thinking.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Wrong...

More money to workers does equal less profit for the food industry, yes. But when the food industry is making less profit, they are less likely to increase hiring. In fact, they may even lay off workers to make up for that loss.

Basic economics.

Haha. That's classic. Have you ever taken a basic Econ course? If you had you would know that's not the case.....at all.

Oh I get it, profit drives demand. :picard: :picard:

No it wouldn't because they would pass the cost onto you. In turn they would sell less product and and employ less people.

You're cutting off your nose to spite your face. It's very short sighted thinking.

Yup, the cost would be passed onto the people and it would translate into a value meal probably being less than $0.50 higher. How am I being short sighted? Please explain the benefit of fast food corporations holding more profit earnings vs. low income workers getting a better wage. I laugh when people always support big business.

VenomousDSG

Don't Tread On Me
TCG Premium
Apr 30, 2006
Yorkville, il
Oh I get it, profit drives demand. :picard: :picard:

Uh... Decreasing profits can have an effect on prices, which do drive demand.... If increased wages are effecting the profits of this company, they are going to make that up any way they can. By increasing prices of the food, or laying off employees.

Again, basic economics.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Is Greasy trolling right now? Jesus. What's next? The guy that works at jiffy lube making $15/hour now wants more because he's more skilled than mcdonalds. The nurse tech at the hospital wants more than 20 an hour because he's more skilled than the jiffy lube go so on and so forth. When the simplest job pays $15 an hour, everybody will want an increase. Jobs are just like products, supply and demand. If you feel you are being underpaid, then quit! If you really are worth $15, go out there and make it somewhere else!

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Uh... Decreasing profits can have an effect on prices, which do drive demand.... If increased wages are effecting the profits of this company, they are going to make that up any way they can. By increasing prices of the food, or laying off employees.

Again, basic economics.

Why would they lay off employees in the fast food industry if they are passing the cost increases onto the consumer, the cost increases will be pretty insignificant, and the fast food industry operates on quick turnaround of food?

So again, using a realistic point of view regarding this specific situation, how does our economy benefit from the big fast food industry players benefit our holding onto more profits rather than paying their workers better?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info