TV New Doctor Who Revealed

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Doctor Who has been played by younger actors recently but that changes with the announcement of Peter Capaldi, 55, as the 12th doctor. Capaldi will debut in the Christmas episode this year as Matt Smith plays his last episode.

1375641453000-GTY-169810841-1308041438_3_4.jpg

And the sonic screwdriver goes to Peter Capaldi.

The Scottish actor was named the new star of the British sci-fi franchise Doctor Who on Sunday during a live broadcast on BBC America. He will replace the departing Matt Smith, whose time in the time-traveling police box the TARDIS ends later this year.

"It's so wonderful not to keep this secret any longer," said Capaldi, a lifelong fan of the show. "I haven't played Doctor Who since I was 9 on the playground."

New 'Doctor Who': It's Peter Capaldi

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I didn't like Capaldi at first but his character has really developed for the better.

He's a guitar player and adding sunglasses and an electric guitar to his wardrobe has given this Doctor idiosyncrasies essential to making his character memorable. they set him apart from every other Doctor.

BTW, the last two episodes, Heaven Sent and Hell Bent, have been AMAZING. Among the best Doctor Who episodes of all time, I think.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
The show is a lot better now than it used to be in the 60s-80s. Back then, they had no money for sets or special effects and cheesy would be the exact word I would use.

What's great about Doctor Who is the concepts they explore. If you can get past the sets and special effects and watch it for the plots and human interactions, it's quality TV.

I may be prejudiced having watched the show since I was a kid being babysat at my grandmother's home. Loved it then and love it now.

Case in point (BIG spoiler),
in Heaven Sent, the Doctor is captured after his companion is killed and sent to an interrogation facility where he is asked questions about things he does not want to reveal. If he doesn't answer, a creature eventually catches him and kills him which causes him to reappear where he started in the facility. The Doctor refuses to answer and, after years of searching the facility, finds the way out. The escape portal is behind a yards thick diamond wall. The Doctor has no tools so he hits the wall with his fist again and again. For 4 1/2 Billion years of death/life/death/life cycle. Finally, his hands overcome the diamond wall and he breaks through and escapes. I was blown away by the concept of being so driven to escape and rescue his companion that he put up with an unfathomable amount of time in the facility.

Then, in Hell Bent, it gets even more complicated. BTW, this cycle of shows really starts with The Raven which is the episode preceding Heaven Sent. That episode was OK but not as good as the following two.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I stopped watching Dr. Who after Peter Davidson played the Doctor.
The best Doctor's were Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

I watched a couple seasons of the new ones and I agree, they're ultra-cheezy with terrible acting and awful special effects. And this is the most popular Sci-Fi show in Britain. LOL!

chris101

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2009
Mt. Prospect, IL
Real Name
yes
Dr Who is one of those shows I LOLed the 1st time I watched it way back when it was very cheesy but guess what, USE YOUR IMAGINATION FOLKS! ..I know with special effects what they are today, it can be difficult to do but some of you naysayers might want to rewatch the original star wars and tell me again how you aren't using your imagination in that too!

At any rate, I've been a 'Who' fan since Tom Baker and the newest series is fantastic. I love how different this new Dr his and his 'dark side' is so very different than other versions. I'm looking forward to see where this goes myself!

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
Apparently they can be granted more reincarnations by the other Time Lords, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were other ways around it. That show solves everything by pulling a solution of of its ass.

I both wouldn't and would be surprised if this was the last. I would be just because the show has been on so damn long and it's still popular. I wouldn't be because they've stopped production and taken breaks in the past. It's been on with these new doctors since 2005, and it just feels like it would be a good time for another break.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info