Fermilab Muon G-2 Magnet

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
So Fermilab in Batavia purchased a Giant 50ft wide magnet for studying muons magnetic strength. They purchased it from New York and had it shipped here via ships and trucks. The total cost to move it was about 3.5 million dollars.
Since it was coming a few miles from me I decided to get some pics. They had to completely close I-355, I-88, IL-59 and Ferry Road in Warrenville. There were cops everywhere. The fastest the truck could go is 10mph. It was pretty cool seeing workers ahead of the truck taking down all the road signs so it could fit.

Here it is when it turned From 59 onto Ferry road.

Taking down the road sign in 30 seconds.

Here it is going under the bridge. I heard it only had 6" clearence going through a bridge on 355.

And here is my video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJI2g61DQLk

Oh yeah and they are having some huge party for it today at 5:30 at the lab.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
They're having a big party thing here at the lab tonight, just so everyone knows. STarts at 5-5:30. The only thing that'll stop it is lightning, but that doesn't look like it'll be a problem. I'll probably stay for a little of it, if anyone is coming lmk. It's a pretty big deal, a lot of planning went in to moving this thing. $3million dollars to move vs $25million to build one. They chose move.

ThirdgenTa

TCG Elite Member
Mar 17, 2008
Aurora
They're having a big party thing here at the lab tonight, just so everyone knows. STarts at 5-5:30. The only thing that'll stop it is lightning, but that doesn't look like it'll be a problem. I'll probably stay for a little of it, if anyone is coming lmk. It's a pretty big deal, a lot of planning went in to moving this thing. $3million dollars to move vs $25million to build one. They chose move.

Ill probably stop by for a little bit on my way up north. In for vip hookup through 10 sec

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info