Head transplants now possible says doctor

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
OK, I know this guy is a real doctor but I think he looks like Kramer so I'm calling him Dr. Van Nostrand.

Dr. Van Nostrand says head transplants are now possible. An idea that started with "Frankenstein" and dozens of SciFi books and movies may now be possible in real life. Do you have an injury that has left you paraplegic? Have $13 million dollars or really good insurance? Maybe you can get your head transplanted onto the body of a young, muscular donor.

If this works, how long until "body thieves" show up and kidnap young adults to cut their heads off and use their bodies to replace those of old, rich billionaires? I don't know about the morals of this transplant. Especially with Dr. Van Nostrand in charge.

Technical barriers to grafting one person’s head onto another person’s body can now be overcome, says Dr. Sergio Canavero, a member of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group. In a recent paper, Canavero outlines a procedure modeled on successful head transplants which have been carried out in animals since 1970.

The one problem with these transplants was that scientists were unable to connect the animals’ spinal cords to their donor bodies, leaving them paralyzed below the point of transplant. But, says Canavero, recent advances in re-connecting spinal cords that are surgically severed mean that it should be technically feasible to do it in humans.

Paraplegics with qualifying injuries (i.e., enough spinal cord left intact to allow for a head transplant) could in theory regain the full use of a (donor) body. Likewise, patients with muscular dystrophy could be given whole new lives. Aside from the enormous technical challenges a head transplant would present, another potential barrier is cost. Canavero estimates that the total cost of a head transplant would be at least €10 million euros ($13 million.)

The bioethics of such a procedure are also extremely controversial.

face-transplant.jpg

First-ever human head transplant is now possible, says neuroscientist – Quartz

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Before posting this, I had to look at the date to make sure it wasn't April 1. This story has been picked up by most of the major news services so it's either true or a really elaborate hoax.

Human head transplant is "bad science," says neuroscientist - CBS News

Human head transplants are possible, says neuroscientist

Human head transplants close to becoming reality: Italian scientist - NY Daily News

Rich people are going to be cloning themselves and keeping the bodies stored until they need them.

I'm thinking I'll get a body that's 6'4", 190lbs. with a ten inch...

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
We are fucking with natural selection by fixing flaws in people and extending our age.

Soon, "survival of the fittest" will mean absolutely nothing and this world will be an overpopulated shithole.

...or a garden paradise filled with 500 y.o. multi billionaires with the rest of society shipped off to Mars and beyond.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info