Question for this of you who are married...

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Me personally? A DJ.

I had an entire list all set up and downloaded all the music from a list both of us put together. However, we HAD to have a DJ. So on top of spending $60 on all the music, I had to dish out $500 for some chode to play the same music, and fuck up the announcements.

Theautoguy

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2007
Machesney Park, IL
No regrets. However the wife didn't have some huge elaborate idea of how her wedding should be; no ice sculptures, martini bar, etc... We had a beautiful wedding and the reception was a big party. I believe with everything we came in under $3,000 rings and all... but that was 18 years ago. (However the honeymoon was $3,000 more)

To put it in perspective my best friend got married last year and he paid around $50,000. We had as much fun as we did at my $3,000 wedding 17 years earlier. (He was my best man and I was his.)

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN
The whole wedding period. Think about it. You are paying for somebody else to come party at your expense and you HOPE that you'll break even. HOPE is not even a word because you won't even come come close, lol. But for me? It was the stupid dress. I hate dresses. Not that you guys are gonna wear them, lol. All that money for something you wear for a few hours? Fuck that.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
No regrets, got married at the court house and had epic pig roast bash at my pops house for the reception. Fuck spending $20k+ on one night. We bought a brand new Acura for Karla instead. lol

That said, if you are going to have a tradition wedding do it right and have good food and an open bar. A wedding reception without an open bar is just plain retarded.

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
No regrets, got married at the court house and had epic pig roast bash at my pops house for the reception. Fuck spending $20k+ on one night. We bought a brand new Acura for Karla instead. lol

That said, if you are going to have a tradition wedding do it right and have good food and an open bar. A wedding reception without an open bar is just plain retarded.
bravo.. fuck traditional weddings.HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.

chry*bmb

You're a waste of my gas...
Apr 16, 2008
TN

Well said :) But the second time around, and LAST it was right to the courthouse baby!! We BOTH wised up, but of course ya'll want that fairytale wedding. So like it was just mentioned, don't skimp on anything. If you want to cut anything back, cut out people. When you start going through the list, you'll see. There are so many variables and arguments on this topic. I'm probably the rare one that's done both, but I'm old ,)

We did a courthouse wedding for the second time and put our money in our house for our family! Our life is the best! No matter what you do, it will turn out great. Choose whatever you want!!

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
We are going to tybee island Georgia in July getting married and staying 2 days in a beach front condo plus the cost of wedding bands is about 1500, then meeting up with my dad who is staying in hilton head for a week at a beach house, we timed it just right so it's going to be gas food and 1500 bucks for a beach wedding and a week stay on the Atlantic Ocean

cacicgtp7

Some Military Dude
Nov 9, 2008
Boston, MA
Real Name
John
I don't know because we aren't done with the planning yet... wedding is in November.

I would say so far from what I've seen, it'll be the ridiculous amount of money we're spending on a videographer. But she really wants it, so it is what it is. Other giant waste of money is spending extra in linens, and what not. Luckily her parents are picking up 2/3rd's of the bill right now, but I can tell you we're over 20K and not done yet...I've found
by far the most expensive part is food and the open bar, but that's to be expected.

Gulp.

In reality I kind of agree with others, the entire wedding in the end is a giant waste of money for 2 days. You basically are catering (unless you're extremely conservative or have a conservative family) a giant party for X amount of guests. Everyone gets to come, eat, drink, and have a great time on your dime. You get a piece of paper, and hopefully some great memories. But it's also not about you, it's about the bride and so I just concede and tell her sure haha. It's one night for the rest of our lives, if we're going to throw a party, it's going to be a fucking awesome one.

rz79

TCG Elite Member
Jun 29, 2009
We went to Vegas... 3 other couples and a few singles came out, we all partied, drank, had a good old fashion tacky Vegas wedding and then we all went to the Belagio Buffet... Yep, we ate at a fancy buffet..
It was fucking awesome and we had a shit ton of cash after we celebrated because we didn't have to buy 250 people,dinner, drinks and show them all a good night out.

EDIT: just to clarify, we are in our 30's and professionals.. Not some slack jawed kids. Just so you didn't discredit this "sleazier" option instantly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info