Iron Man 3 review... Spoilers!

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Just got back from the midnight showing, and it was epic. I'm not sure if it better than the first, but it is at least as good as it. There was more story then iron man 2 had, and it had thousand references to the other movies(tasteful references for the most part). The only real down side is the different director, he put his own spin on the movie, that on its own is good, but it makes the trilogy lopsided by changing the 3rd film to a different style. Its not a bad change, once you see it you'll understand.

In summary, go see it. It is EPIC. :fy:

All story bits omitted t avoid spoiling the fun.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
Did you know that the director for this movie played "hawkins" in predator?

5459683366_31fa160710.jpg

He also wrote:

Iron Man 3

2006 A.W.O.L

2005 Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

1998 Lethal Weapon 4

1996 The Long Kiss Goodnight

1993 Last Action Hero

1992 Lethal Weapon 3

1991 The Last Boy Scout

1989 Lethal Weapon 2

1987 The Monster Squad

1987 Lethal Weapon

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Do not read this post if you have not seen the movie...

A few points about Iron Man 3. Don't get me wrong, this movie is watchable. It's problem is the new director made Tony Stark 1 rather than Iron Man 3.

1. WTF did they do to The Mandarin? He was one of, if not the main nemesis of Iron Man for decades. I can't say I'm happy with how he is treated in Iron Man 3. Destroying many years of character build up to make a joke? Some of us wanted to see an epic battle between Mandarin and Iron Man. Instead, we get a weak, joke character whose years (decades) of comic book evil are tossed aside.

2. This movie should be called Tony Stark plays James Bond. I didn't count but the "Iron Man" minutes in this movie are few and far between. Most of them have Stark or War Machine being sizzled in their suits merely by being touched until they pop out of them. Special, inventive Iron Man weapons which are a Tony Stark trademark? You get the palm blaster a few times, a several times repeated suit can fly on its own in pieces theme and that's about it. McGuyver has left the planet. It's like the director decided I don't want Iron Man in this movie, I want James Bond...er...Tony Stark.

3. Earth shattering developments get "fixed" as afterthoughts. Pepper Potts turns into whatever it is she turns into and then gets simply fixed in one sentence? Stark gets the bits of metal and arc reactor pulled out as an afterthought in the movie's epilogue? WTF! WTF! WTF!

4. 25 minutes of boring intro until the action gets going. Hello? Super Hero Action Movie? Ever hear of a big exciting opening scene? Many Super Hero Action Movies use an "action" opening rather than talk...talk...talk.

5. Disregard for the laws of physics. In the what could have been spectacular people falling out of the jet scene the movie has women holding onto several men one handed while falling and then Iron Man pulling up sharply before hitting the ground. Cute concept but the director forgot about the whole arms being ripped out of their sockets by G forces reality. Unbelievable. I know it's a comic book super hero movie but try to make scenes believable within super hero movie parameters.

I'm tossing these ideas out for discussion. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Iron Man 3. I will have to see it again sometime to see if my views change. For now, I think it was a decent movie but a terrible threequel.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The thread title should now be changed.
You're right. I changed the thread title. Probably should have waited a week to post spoilers but this movie has been bugging me since I saw it and, so far, everyone in the thread is liking it. I was ready to walk out of the room when I saw what they did to Mandarin.

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
I feel like it was way too cheesy. I'm a huge RDJ nutswinger but I hated how unrealistic shit got so fast. Fucking fire breathing? Really? And it's just like any other movie that gets too many sequels, all the iron man suits I feel lost significance and power. 40 something of them and they just got blown up left and right? Don't get me wrong I did t hate the movie, I just hated how it went from cool serious significant to aliens mass produced suits and not enough innovation. /rant

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD! SPOILERS AHEAD!

Do not read this post if you have not seen the movie...

A few points about Iron Man 3. Don't get me wrong, this movie is watchable. It's problem is the new director made Tony Stark 1 rather than Iron Man 3.

1. WTF did they do to The Mandarin? He was one of, if not the main nemesis of Iron Man for decades. I can't say I'm happy with how he is treated in Iron Man 3. Destroying many years of character build up to make a joke? Some of us wanted to see an epic battle between Mandarin and Iron Man. Instead, we get a weak, joke character whose years (decades) of comic book evil are tossed aside.

2. This movie should be called Tony Stark plays James Bond. I didn't count but the "Iron Man" minutes in this movie are few and far between. Most of them have Stark or War Machine being sizzled in their suits merely by being touched until they pop out of them. Special, inventive Iron Man weapons which are a Tony Stark trademark? You get the palm blaster a few times, a several times repeated suit can fly on its own in pieces theme and that's about it. McGuyver has left the planet. It's like the director decided I don't want Iron Man in this movie, I want James Bond...er...Tony Stark.

3. Earth shattering developments get "fixed" as afterthoughts. Pepper Potts turns into whatever it is she turns into and then gets simply fixed in one sentence? Stark gets the bits of metal and arc reactor pulled out as an afterthought in the movie's epilogue? WTF! WTF! WTF!

4. 25 minutes of boring intro until the action gets going. Hello? Super Hero Action Movie? Ever hear of a big exciting opening scene? Many Super Hero Action Movies use an "action" opening rather than talk...talk...talk.

5. Disregard for the laws of physics. In the what could have been spectacular people falling out of the jet scene the movie has women holding onto several men one handed while falling and then Iron Man pulling up sharply before hitting the ground. Cute concept but the director forgot about the whole arms being ripped out of their sockets by G forces reality. Unbelievable. I know it's a comic book super hero movie but try to make scenes believable within super hero movie parameters.

I'm tossing these ideas out for discussion. Maybe I'm being too harsh on Iron Man 3. I will have to see it again sometime to see if my views change. For now, I think it was a decent movie but a terrible threequel.

I agree with all of this. I'm a big Iron Man fan. I read the comics 20 years ago before anyone even knew who Iron Man was. I loved the first movie. The second one was pretty good. I was hyped up for the third one. I expected it to be good. I tried to like it, but it was a total let down.

I'm not sure what it was, but overall it felt off. Maybe it was lacking Jon Favreau's creativity. Favreau was also a big Iron Man fan and it showed in the first two movies. This third movie, there never was a wow factor. The first movie had all kinds of epic moments with Stark in the armor - building the Mark I in the cave, building and testing the Mark II and seeing it in action for the first time against the terrorists. The second movie also had a couple great moments with "the armor" - the racetrack scene with the suitcase armor and the final battle scenes were great. Even in The Avengers, the Iron Man suit basically saved the earth.

In the 3rd movie the armor seems like an afterthought. Augmented humans easily able to defeat any of the armor seemed like a joke. There was never really a moment when you wanted to cheer for anything. I wish Jon Favreau would have just done this last one.

Atomicles

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Schaumburg
So the bad guy melts War Machine's abdominal armor to trigger the suit to eject him. I'm supposed to believe that it just gets fixed and back to normal in a couple of hours?

They put the president in the War Machine suit and it automatically flies him to their base. WTF? How did they hack Stark's technology?

And then the president is dangling above an oil tanker, in the War Machine armor. I assumed they locked it or something. Nope! Minutes later you see Don Cheadle swing over to him and he MOVES IN THE ARMOR. Why the hell not just bust out of those cables and run/fly away? And it was clearly working the whole time, because after the president gets saved, Cheadle just hops in and runs it like normal.

Some super power serum that turns humans into fire-breathing, regenerating, lava monsters? So fucking unbelievable and stupid.

I have never even read an Iron Man comic, and I was fucking pissed about who the Mandaran turned out to be.

I was under the impression that the whole reason he didn't have the shrapnel taken out of his heart in the previous movies was because the surgery would kill him. How the fuck did he do that now? Was there some breakthrough medical procedure? Did he finally think about the problem? Why the fuck wouldn't someone want to fix that sooner?

You're Iron Man, and you just issued a threat to the world's most dangerous terrorist. Why wouldn't your house have better security? Shouldn't you have proximity alerts for incoming missiles? You're trying to protect the one thing you love most in the world. So you tell the terrorists you're gonna kill em, and then give them the address where the love of your life lives too. WTF?!

I'm sure I can think of a few more things I didn't like or didn't make sense, but I'll just stop.

Overall, I liked the movie. :wink:

clint282cc

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2011
agreed with what everyone has said. they didnt play AC/DC once hahaha. its been part of the series whenever some badass stuff is going on. it didnt have the WOW factor at all.

and what happened to stark tower? why did he rebuild the junk suit and not just go get/make another one? instead he sneaks into a florida mansion and uses rubber bands and gum balls to take out a whole crew??? was that suppose to replace the awesome arsenal of weapons hes been putting into the suit?

if the mandrine couldnt find tony's house BEFORE he publicly spewed it out, then how did they master mind all the other shit they did?

U.S. government keeps sending the iron patirot to different caves to kill the mandrine... but doesnt realize its coming from miami fl.? idk it was a totally different movie. i could tell by the previews it was going to be more about tony than iron man but thats ok, as long as its done right... and this really wasnt..

jason05gt

TCG Elite Member
Jan 17, 2007
Naperville
agreed with what everyone has said. they didnt play AC/DC once hahaha. its been part of the series whenever some badass stuff is going on. it didnt have the WOW factor at all.

I was thinking that too. AC/DC had a good presence in the past two movies.

I thought this movie was entertaining, but it wasn't as good as the past Jon Favreau movies. I didn't like how they made the Iron Man suits feel defeatable by fire. Stake would have tested against that as he did against freezing in previous versions.

MM.Junior.

Regular
Mar 14, 2012
My opinion on the movie, for any average viewer who hasn't read any comics on iron man, must've been a good film. But for those that have read the comics, it wasnt such a good film. I mean i liked it but i dont think i saw tony stark in the iron man suit for more than two minutes. And they made the iron suits look weak-__-

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
I was thinking that too. AC/DC had a good presence in the past two movies.

I thought this movie was entertaining, but it wasn't as good as the past Jon Favreau movies. I didn't like how they made the Iron Man suits feel defeatable by fire. Stake would have tested against that as he did against freezing in previous versions.

Yup. Even in The Avengers, Iron Man did the override to the loudspeaker on the Shield aircraft in Germany to blast some AC/DC before kicking Loki's ass.

rocco

Addict
Jan 19, 2012
Aurora, IL
My opinion on the movie, for any average viewer who hasn't read any comics on iron man, must've been a good film. But for those that have read the comics, it wasnt such a good film. I mean i liked it but i dont think i saw tony stark in the iron man suit for more than two minutes. And they made the iron suits look weak-__-

True, his armor was able to last through a war with aliens in The Avengers. Now in the 3rd movie, the suits blow apart like some cheap made in China crap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info