*THE* GoPro thread

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
I made one exhaust video with the M3 and I was very impressed. No wind noise, the exhaust sounded good and the video quality was good. The sucker was stuck on the rear bumper nice and good. Haven't used it since then but I probably will with the r8.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I haven't had many opportunities to use my camera yet and have been looking for some tips on settings. All the video opportunities I've had have been fairly low light, which I know the gopro does not shine. The footage I have is fairly grainy and has left me unimpressed.

Some time soon I plan to have this thing mounted onto my boat for some high speed wave jumping, hopefully catching some near death experiences.

Looking for some decent settings without choppy, grainy video.

any tips for external mics where there is an extreme amount of wind at high speed?

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
TCG Premium
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
how well does it work? I was browsing amazon and saw those

It sorta depends on where you place the gopro. if you place it in an area where there is a ton of air rushing over say the roof, then there is going to be some wind noise. Off the side of the car seems to produce the least wind noise.

syP

Not Banned
May 24, 2007
Downers Grove, Illinois
I got the HERO 3 white edition for easter...

Is it just as simple as shooting it, then uploading it to the PC? Seems like a 30 second clip is like 85mb large... Is that what it takes to shoot HD video these days? Back when I did video editing it was only 480p or lower so the files were much smaller. This is normal I assume?

And good (cheap) places to buy accessories for it that DON'T suck? Would prefer a tripod mount and suction cup for the side of a car (or inside of a car)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I have a "Naked" Hero (GoPro HD NAKED HERO Camera Value Bundle with 8GB SD Card and Case: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com)

As already mentioned, low light is horrid, but it takes pretty sharp video otherwise.

The case that allows sound in on the naked model I haven't been able to get a good a audio clip with (but granted one was not near the exhaust, and the other was IN my garage, so everything reverebed like crazy).

I caved and bought the Tripod mount and the suction mount from bestbuy, and have no regrets on spending good money on the 'real' GoPro stuff as they are both very solid pieces. When you are over next, feel free to play with them.

And yes, Just film, toss the card into a PC, copy the files over (and they are BIG files if you have it set to higher resolution). Took like 15 minutes to copy my first drive video to Youtube in the BMW when I took it in 1080i (2 minute video, give or take?)

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
I got the HERO 3 white edition for easter...

Is it just as simple as shooting it, then uploading it to the PC? Seems like a 30 second clip is like 85mb large... Is that what it takes to shoot HD video these days? Back when I did video editing it was only 480p or lower so the files were much smaller. This is normal I assume?

And good (cheap) places to buy accessories for it that DON'T suck? Would prefer a tripod mount and suction cup for the side of a car (or inside of a car)

amazon. /thread

I bought one of these over the gopro brand one. much stronger and you can tell when it's losing vacuum. I stuck it on a beam and was literally able to hang off of it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GHURZA/?tag=tcg21-20

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
i have a 1 and 2 and 2 black 3's. the 1 and 2 are for sale. i think i have a 64gb class 10 micro sd for sale too.

i have a micover on one of the doors - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00533YQVI/?tag=tcg21-20

i've put crazy yarn all over one to break up wind noise before too. supposedly the 3 handles it better. note that whatever it hears it is going to amplify so if you've reduced wind to low wind it is still going to sound rather windy because it will just push up what it can hear to my understanding. so if you have something much louder then you will get better audio as you will capture the loud thing vs. the wind noise (or less wind noise with a micover.) example:

[youtubehd]N6X34OLuY3g[/youtubehd]

the audio from driving is from the external camera; it is picking up engine noise and tire squeal (and wind still) (gopro 1)

kart is loud so it comes through too

[youtubehd]CzrqxiQPOKo[/youtubehd]

vs. older vid just top of car - not sure if micover but it wouldn't have mattered - it is just hearing wind anyway. actually i believe this is no micover but it does have a ton of fuzzy yarn around it. also gopro 1. note the absence of tire squeal; you can actually hear it it's just barely audible though. ie 5:18.

[youtubehd]goLIRh19f5A[/youtubehd]

i have never done an external mic. you need a case with the opening then to run it somewhere, could be good but i'm happy enough with what i've got for now. if it was exposed to a windy area you'd still want some kind of micover on it.

re: light probably later software revisions help and i think the gopro 3 is supposed to handle this the best; low light is always rough though.

i ended up spending the money to buy RAM mounts for 2 gopros plus my phone. http://www.rammount.com/

i have harry's lap timer for iphone but haven't actually used it yet. data collection in prior vids was done with racecrhono and an old nokia. i merged with video in dashware. multiple cameras were merged in premiere. obd data is bluetooth obd2 reader obdkey. there is one blessed for iphone and i'm wondering if i should switch if harry's ends up supporting it better. also might upgrade gps to something they may have coming. i have a 5 hz external bluetooth puck and a 10 hz one although the 10 is less accurate with no dgps; i have only used it once and some of the sessions weren't really renderable. note harry's lap timer can do some video merge of data for you. but only single cam; and that cam is iphone cam or wifi gopro (not sure what quality maxes out at - i think bandwidth is an issue.) the rotax vid above with very finely updated data is mostly from the mychron on the kart. nice, but my setup is inexpensive and i can hop from car to car and carry it.

some other vids:

rainy gingerman, audio from windshield mounted gopro 2

[youtubehd]blp3fcG8jG8[/youtubehd]

rotax rental race at michiana (funsies)

[youtubehd]Waapymy0xqY[/youtubehd]

road america track inside the carousel, work event i organized

[youtubehd]gjBZLzxoZKg[/youtubehd]

sickmint79

I Drink Your Milkshake
Mar 2, 2008
grayslake
goosing it during cool down lap in the wet with traction control totally off. sport mode was doing a good job of keeping me on the track and having fun. i never went out with it turned off like this. haven't in dry yet either actually.

[youtubehd]v3XYJn5mPHA[/youtubehd]

pre-final race at michiana, i go off the track if you start watching around 2:00

[youtubehd]sT1hq3e0OEA[/youtubehd]

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Thinking about picking up a 3 white and roll bar mount for the hero1 I have. I bought a stand alone GPS timer which is supposed to work with trackmaster but I haven't played with it yet. I think if I use it on its own, I can record in 5hz, but then get an overlay for videos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info