Lawn care

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Seems like we have a couple people on here who have thier own homes and I am looking for advise. We've been at our house for nearly 6 years. And in that time the back yard has gone from okay condition to just shity. Half of the yard is just dirt and it other areas its okay grass. Some crab grass too. The ground is extremely uneven and just plain out sucks.

We've tried putting down a couple different kinds of grass seed but nothing takes. We do have dogs and I think that might be a problem but they'll be moving out in June so I am trying to get a plan of attack.

Anyone have any good tips or ideas besides Sodding the whole yard?

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Seed, feed and water. Select a good seed for your area, Kentucky Bluegrass is never a bad choice for this climate in a sun/shade application. Fertalize religiously, and keep the animals off as much of the fresh grass until it has had plenty of time to take root.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Seed, feed and water. Select a good seed for your area, Kentucky Bluegrass is never a bad choice for this climate in a sun/shade application. Fertalize religiously, and keep the animals off as much of the fresh grass until it has had plenty of time to take root.

aerator and/or lawn rolling worth it?

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
I had to put sod in my yard in a few patches where the previous owner had their kids swing set. This was my yard in the fall last year, it's all in the scott's turf builder.

530944_10152034892230500_1814690806_n_zps77f1a0c6.jpg

3399_10152034949530500_181428580_n_zps1c1c6517.jpg

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
Oh and a key trick I did with the sod with having a hot dry summer like we did last year. I watered it every day around noon when it was really hot and any of the spots that looked grim.... I put some dog shit on them and watered that too. Sounds fucked up but it worked

radioguy6

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2008
Schaumburg
Real Name
Greg
As a part time Ace hardware employee and home owner, here are a few tips...

As soon as it starts to warm up, rake and clean up your yard as best as possible. Get all last years leaves, twigs, and dead grass off the lawn. If you want put down some quality top soil for a fill in. Kentucky Blue Grass is good for this region, and likes a mix of sun/shade. Look at the back label and it will tell you exactly whats in it, weed free %, expiration date, etc. Keep any animals off the areas you are trying to grow. It might be tough, but new grass is very fragile.

Spring/Fall is the best time to grow grass. Fall is ideal, but spring is fine. You must water the lawn daily religously for the grass to germinate and at least a week everyday after it starts to grow. This is extremely important. Best time is in the early morning before the sun gets hot. Watering in the evening is not recommended since the water sits over night and can promote bacteria/fungus growth.

Be careful with fertilizer. If put down a crabgrass preventer, which usually is applied in spring, it actually PREVENTS new grass seed from germinating. Make sure you get a fertilizer that is safe for seeding. For example, Scotts Step 1 will not allow germination, however they have a product called Step 1 for Seeding that still prevents crabgrass but allows new seed to germinate.

Do not mow the new grass until its well established, I'd say at least 6 weeks. Good luck!

gonzosbonne

do you even?
Apr 10, 2008
round lake beach
i am/was a landscaper. sod it. everyones grass is pretty shitty due to last years drought.

depending on size, i can get a roll of sod for about $1.18 which is delivered to the sod farm daily. make sure good topsoil (id say get compost soil) is down and make sure to wet the ground before putting it down. water once daily after 4pm when the sun can still hit it. dont mow it for at least month, prob 6 weeks like mentioned and the first times you cut it, use a very light push mower.

jbigalow

Help!
Apr 9, 2008
yea i'm in the same boat. i have a ton of crab grass and dandelion everywhere. the previous owner did no lawn care and it just spread. i'm trying to figure my options out. my yard will be changing this year so im not worried about growing new grass this spring but i wanna eliminate all the weeds and crab grass. think it would be better to:

- lay weed killer down ?
- tear up the whole yard and start fresh with sod?
- ???

gonzosbonne

do you even?
Apr 10, 2008
round lake beach
how dense are the weeds, if they have taken over most the yard, and you cant see much grass, when you kill the weeds, your left with dirt as the good grass hasn't been able to dig in. a lot of my customers think by killing the weeds and such, that fresh healthy grass just pops up. not always the case! a good weed and feed (not scotts) within a few weeks should help a lot, after that, id just spot treat the bad areas with weed b gon

jbigalow

Help!
Apr 9, 2008
yea by the time i remove the patches of weeds all that is left is dirt. some of the weeds roots are 6+ inches into the ground.

what would you recommend for a good "weed and feed?" my goal right now is to kill everything that is not grass. i will be digging up parts of the yard and leveling out other parts. so my plan to have the yard full of grass will come mid summer/fall.

how dense are the weeds, if they have taken over most the yard, and you cant see much grass, when you kill the weeds, your left with dirt as the good grass hasn't been able to dig in. a lot of my customers think by killing the weeds and such, that fresh healthy grass just pops up. not always the case! a good weed and feed (not scotts) within a few weeks should help a lot, after that, id just spot treat the bad areas with weed b gon

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info