I feel like my furnace is running too much..

SinisterSHO

Tame Racing Driver
Jul 20, 2007
Thermostat isn't set at anything ridiculous, programmed between 72-74. But it seems like it will run for a few minutes, turn off for less than 5, then turn back on and run for what seems like 8-10 minutes. Temp seems good thru the house, a little warm upstairs, which is odd for this house in the winter.

Is this normal? Anything I should check out? Filter was replaced approx 2 months ago.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I will gloss over the my windows and doors are wide open right now comment and go right to the help desk link. There's a lot of info and things to check here:

Furnace Gives Heat but Cycles Frequently - Ask Me Help Desk

Gotta go. Dog wants me to move out by the pool and she won't leave me alone until I go.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Thats pretty high, I believe the EPA recommends setting to 70 and 62 when you are gone or sleeping.

What kind of house do you have? How many floors? Basement slab or crawl? How much insulation in the attic and walls? Do your doors and windows seal well? Etc etc...

I will say constant quick cycles is usually a tell tale sign of not enough insulation in the attic.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
Dude, 74 is super high. Mine is working a lot lately and I have it set to 68 while I'm home, 60 while I'm at work and 63 when I sleep. If you could see the bill, they do give a history of usage and it is normal for the furnace to be on a lot, especially when the house is 74!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
:rofl:

id check the filter. heatloss isnt the only reason a furnace can short cycle...airflow restriction can lead to the same issue.

how hot is the metal furnace flue pipe? (since im guessing its not a 90% efficiency unit with pvc flue)

alot of joints dont have good enough air returns so they tend to work harder

also if not a high efficiency furnace realize that the burner consumes inside air so you will always have a draft into the house when the burner is on

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info