How to quit dipping?

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
Not trying to be a dick, and I haven't dealt with any addictions myself, but man up, don't make excuses for yourself, and make that tin you just finished your last. Deal with the withdrawls for a couple weeks and be done with it. It's mind over matter here and nothing more.

That said, I'm glad to hear you want to quit, and I truly wish you the best of luck!!!

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Not trying to be a dick, and I haven't dealt with any addictions myself, but man up, don't make excuses for yourself, and make that tin you just finished your last. Deal with the withdrawls for a couple weeks and be done with it. It's mind over matter here and nothing more.

That said, I'm glad to hear you want to quit, and I truly wish you the best of luck!!!

I have only dipped a couple of times, but smoked for 9 years before I quit 5 years ago. so I definitely understand addictions and the quitting process.

I tried several times to quit and was unsuccessful until 5 years ago.... The difference was that I quit when my wife and I decided to have kids. At that point I wanted to make a change in my life to make life better for my kids (big motivation). until then I kept making excuses as to why I could not quit.

when I did quit 5 years ago I simply stopped buying them. I smoked the last of my smokes and when they were gone, they were gone. Life sucked for about 3 weeks, I was grumpy, easily irritated, felt like I had no energy and I was coughing worse than I ever did when I was smoking. I had a constant craving for a cigarette, but just kept fighting it off... after the 3 week mark, I started to feel the extra energy and the grumpiness started going away and life started to get better... now I almost never get cravings, although, once in a while (every 2 months or so) I get a VERY easy to fight away craving.

I guess my point is, find a GENUINE big motivator and REALLY WANT TO QUIT. Make a decision to quit and stick to it.

I have been smoke free for 5 years and looking back, it was the best decision I ever made and I was STUPID for starting to begin with.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I dip and smoke, but much less than i used to. Working out has significantly cut my urges to smoke or chew. My friend chewed for years, and the day he quit he swallowed half the tin. He cant even look at the stuff anymore. It's a bit crude, but hey, seen it work lpl.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008

With all due respect, if your advice about addiction is going to start with "I haven't dealt with any addictions myself" then you don't really have any advice to offer. "Man up and stop" isn't sufficient.

Best of luck man!! I don't dip, but been a smoker for 16 years now. I have tried to quit, and failed horribly. The couple times I almost quit, what helped was replacing the habit with another one. I actually took the tube from a Bic pen and cut it down to cigarette size and would walk around with that. Sounds dumb but it really helped with the act of smoking habit. Not sure what you would do for dip. Maybe a wad of big league chew or hard candy. Either way, you have the most inportant step done already, and that is deciding that you really do want to quit. Stay strong and you can do it man!

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
With all due respect, if your advice about addiction is going to start with "I haven't dealt with any addictions myself" then you don't really have any advice to offer. "Man up and stop" isn't sufficient.
Sure it is. This is 100% about will power and nothing more. It's whether or not your personality is strong enough to make the change. Nothing is going to stop him from quitting but himself.

Sure it is. This is 100% about will power and nothing more. It's whether or not your personality is strong enough to make the change. Nothing is going to stop him from quitting but himself.
how can you give advice on something you have never experienced? If it were that easy, we would all just quit. Thats like standing outside a boxing ring and telling the loser of the fight "well, you gotta punch harder, and you would have won!"

BrianG

Big Dick Team Octane
Oct 5, 2008
Streamwood
Real Name
Brian G
how can you give advice on something you have never experienced? If it were that easy, we would all just quit. Thats like standing outside a boxing ring and telling the loser of the fight "well, you gotta punch harder, and you would have won!"
Not at all, boxing takes skill, strength and so many other things that I could never even begin to imagine. There are also uncontrollable outside forces in boxing, specifically the other boxer. Quitting a bad habit is an internal struggle that you need to take control of and defeat. You can "all just quit" whatever habits you may have, and if you don't, then you have no one to blame but yourself. Nobody said it was easy, but it's nobody's fault but your own if you don't defeat it.

Box1.000001

Money Handler for HTR
Mar 5, 2008
Been half a day so far. Bought some sunflower seeds to chew on when I go outside for yard work instead of going out and spending another $3-5 on a tin to throw another lipper in. I'll probably get some hard candy, too, for the oral fixation.

Kickthecan.org has some great natural, tobacco-free chew you can buy, as well. Thinking bout ordering some of that, until I can curb the nicotine.

Everybody I know that used chantix said it worked amazing
My girlfriends dad took it and it helped him quit, but some of the side affects of it are aggression, depression, ect., and thats on top of what you would normally be just from quitting. It only lasted a couple weeks, but he was really not fun to be around for those couple weeks. As far as helping him quit, it worked well though!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info