Motorcycles at NoFlyZone...? Discuss

FlyingGuy

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2015
this is something that always comes up. I am examining ideas for our Arizona event... but I want to inquire here. I am hoping to draw some motorcycle people into the conversation as well, as currently the conversation is all on facebook.

Anyway... some of the hypothetical options... Bike vs Bike, or Bike vs Car, or Bike solo. What are your thoughts on this matter. Please be frank and honest. Ultimately the decision is mine... but I would love to see what some of the community has to say.

Thanks everyone
-Tony

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
Like I said on FB, I think I'm open to any of the options BUT the idea of a car and bike running at the same time makes me nervous. The bike is almost always going to be out ahead and if something were to happen, a car would be bearing down on them very fast.

I'm just happy that bikes might actually be allowed at a 1/2 mile event. Opens things up to a whole new crowd.

FlyingGuy

Forum Sponsor
Apr 2, 2015
Like I said on FB, I think I'm open to any of the options BUT the idea of a car and bike running at the same time makes me nervous. The bike is almost always going to be out ahead and if something were to happen, a car would be bearing down on them very fast.

I'm just happy that bikes might actually be allowed at a 1/2 mile event. Opens things up to a whole new crowd.

Very true. I have always assumed bikes only wanted to join to race against the cars. Having gotten several messages to the contrary, that they just want to run the runway, is a different story. Not saying that any of it will happen... but it opens up options.

SirMarco

of Pingree Grove
May 11, 2009
Pingree Grove
Bikes would be cool at this event. Hell, I would ponder the idea of bringing a bike. No, not my Street Glide...
Some good points were brought up though.
Bikes vs Bikes and/or Bikes solo is the way to go.
Bikes vs Cars would be bad if something happened. Like [MENTION=5]Mook[/MENTION] said, the bikes will most likely be ahead of the cars. If disaster happens and the rider gets into the lane of a car coming down that fast, there will be no good outcome for either participant.
Some of you may think watching bikes go is boring and that is fine. But it would be nice to give them a chance at an event like this. You'd be surprised and what people would bring and how fast they are.
Now the point of the runway surface. That would play a huge factor in it as well. If it's just going to toss you around, it's down right dangerous. But on the other hand they all are doing these speeds on the highway. We all know how well Illinois roads are.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
It doesn't feel like it when you're doing 140+ but on the test cruise at 50-60 it felt pretty sketchy lol.

yeah, a runway is about losing traction and taking flight.
we're doing it wrong looking for traction and downforce :rofl:

whats the worst misalignment of the expansion joints?

if its just wide gaps...but if its elevation changes/etc then it'd be pretty damn exciting

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005
Being a rider, I'd love to participate in an event like this, and the only reason I havent attended in the past is because I'd rather run than watch.

Bike solo would be lame, but if it's our only option for participating I'd do it.
Bike vs bike is ideal and would be best
Bile vs car wiuld be fun too, but with the obvious risks involved I understand if it's not allowed

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
I think the bikes would be cool. I'd run my car against them. As a rider too the likelihood of a bike going down and ending up in the path of a car I think is less than most think.

Also as far as bikes taking long to get up and make the run...I feel they would be faster from stage to finish than the cars. Especially from a roll. It definitely won't be like at the drag strip. There really wasn't any delays and things ran pretty smooth last year.

My vote is let them run and let them line up with whoever they want, bike or car. Leave it up to the rider and driver. If the car doesn't want to run a bike they can just say no thanks, vise versa

Gone_2022

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2013
It doesn't feel like it when you're doing 140+ but on the test cruise at 50-60 it felt pretty sketchy lol.

This.

Shibby rode with me on my test pass at 50 and it felt sketchy as fuck. I was actually worried. But at full throttle I skated over the bumps.

Now for bikes? I do not ride so I don't know but it is not smooth I will say that. A bump on a bike is different than a 3500 lbs car

Thread Info