New, double roller timing set!

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
These just became available for purchase about a week ago. I bought one about 5 minutes after it first went on sale. People running heavier valve springs and cams have been stretching their stock chains out a lot lately. This is the first double roller set made for the 3100, 3400, and 3500. It has multiple keyways on the crankshaft gear for + or - 6 degrees of advance. Part of the crank has to be clearanced .025 for the larger gear, and the timing cover needs some grinding as well. Im sure you guys dont have much to say, but I was pretty excited to see it came in the mail today. "Cheap" insurance against putting a valve through some custom pistons, and Im able to move the powerband of my cam around as well.
2e1axzp.jpg

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
i'm glad your taking the time to build it once and build it right...
keep up the good work.

(at least you arent building 4 engines at once like me lol)

Thats A LIE!!!! You're working on more than 4 engines (I've seen things:smile:) :wavey:

Just a question though, is it really a good idea to clearance the crank, cause I would much rather take strength out that double roller gear than my crank shaft, just my .02

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Thats A LIE!!!! You're working on more than 4 engines (I've seen things:smile:) :wavey:

Just a question though, is it really a good idea to clearance the crank, cause I would much rather take strength out that double roller gear than my crank shaft, just my .02

Taking the clearance out of the gear wouldnt work. The crank gear needs to sit further back to lign up with the cam gear. The amount of material that needs to be removed is very small, and in no way will effect the durability of the crank. Im more worried about the timing cover, and grinding away at that. The timing cover is cast aluminum, plus its already fairly thin.

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E
Im bringing it in to E to get it milled and the crank modified. He works at a machine shop, and did the work on my rods as well.

Just letting the ppl here know that the cover is not going to be done till its put together. This way we know exactly how much material to take out. I have the Mill programed already but can anyone tell me the exact dimension from shaft to shaft? Center to center 10Q

E

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
State of Confusion
Real Name
E

WhiteDevil

Armed
Jan 5, 2008
Better late then never I guess,

And to tell if they are stretched without removing the cover, you can either listen to the cover( long screwdriver or fuel line hose works great. and you will notice the power difference as opposed to a tight one.

Gear drives are 100000x better then a chain but i dont think they make em for grocery getters.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Better late then never I guess,

And to tell if they are stretched without removing the cover, you can either listen to the cover( long screwdriver or fuel line hose works great. and you will notice the power difference as opposed to a tight one.

Gear drives are 100000x better then a chain but i dont think they make em for grocery getters.

Gear drives are badass. They sound like fuckin superchargers

Thread Info