Taste the rainbow, bitches. ('04 NSRT-4 Daily Build)

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Since I got asked by a few people, may as well share this car's back-story and future with you guys. Not like I don't have build logs on enough forums as-is. Hah.

After plotting and planning a Forged and Boosted 2.2L Ecotec swap into my last money pit ('98 Saturn SC2) I realized the more intelligent choice, however less original, would be to simply build off of a Factory boosted car. I had a few requisites in mind for the new ride: FWD or AWD, Four Door, Forced Induction 4 Cyl, decent Gas Mileage and enough aftermarket to support whatever stupid ideas I came up with. I began by looking at Ion Redlines, WRXs, Neons and a few others. After a relatively fruitless search, I came upon an '04 NSRT listed with 95k, stock, with a newer Trans and Engine for $6.2k. After a cursory examination, I picked it up under asking price and drove it home, only to have it utterly demolished by an F-250...

Before:

After:

All things considered, I got lucky as shit the collision wasn't any faster. I still walked away with a FUBAR Hood, Rad, Rad Support, Headlights, and some odds and ends. Total estimated cost to repair through a shop? 2k. With only minimum coverage on the thing...

Being the plucky bastard I am, I rolled the car into the garage, pulled out the credit card, Angle Grinder and BFH and went to work.

Everyone's Favorite, PARTS!!!1!

And back to hacking, Drilling and prying.

At this point, realized I had in fact, bought a used DSM. lol. Wastegate Reference port on the compressor plugged with a Machine Screw, AGP Trans Mount, T-Bolts on the Hot side piping, and more horrifyingly hacked wiring than I care to think about... 10 hours with a solder iron and shrink wrap in the cabin ALONE worth, to be specific. Stock, my fucking ass.

Ended up using a Discount Tire card I had sitting around to pick up some cheap 17x7.5 XXR's along with 225/45/17 Hankook V12's. Realizing that OEM style replacement parts cost twice as much as aftermarket shit, I grabbed a ViS OEM style Carbon Fiber hood, and an upsized aluminum Rad. For shits and giggles, I picked up a Catless Cutout 3" Turbo-to-Catback setup, welded a second O2 bung for my Innovate and bolted it up. The replacement Rad Support needed to be hacked up to fit the Front Mount and Piping, so went ahead and knocked that out, and welded that on.

Better...

Success!

Current goal is to have the car on stands in the new garage, once we move in the new house. I'll be dropping the Engine/Trans out the bottom, bolting up the new trans and Turbo Kit, along with cleaning up/adding some ricer flair to the engine. (Powder Coating the VC and Intake Mani, etc.) The Head is getting yanked, I'll be replacing the stock HG and Hardware with ARP Studs and a DCR gasket. Then I'll be replacing the Timing Kit, slapping everything back into the car, and heading straight out for a Tune, then RT66- Where I'm hoping to scratch out some 11's on Slicks. Go team!

And at last, for Aesthetics, I'll be slapping on a Wingless trunk, picking up some new wheels, and going to town with the Paint Gun. This is roughly how I'd like it to look by the end of summer:

That's all for now, folks. Feel free to share input.

Last edited:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
The Fucking Truth. This man speaks it.

:fy:

That's nice man. I had an SRT-4 for a few years as well and I truly miss the performance of it.

I would too. I always had hated them (mainly from the "Kwality" of so many of their owners.) But it didn't take long for my feelings for the car to change. lol.

Awesome man. I like it. Good job on the front end too.

Thanks, it was a pain in the dick. Hahaha. A/C condenser had survived undamaged, so I did it all while leaving the bastard in. Which made an already shitty process shittier. I hate doing chassis work...

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
nice! nice dragon photos as well. im sure that was decently fun in a skittle.

It was... Horrifyingly awesome. lol. I'm used to running the Dragon, Hellbender and Skyway in an N/A, roadcourse ready shitbox. Last year with an Iron Block Turbo car, on Stock suspension, was a rather interesting change of pace.

We'll see how it does next summer. I'm hoping to try and get the weight distribution looking better, and see what else I can do about it's penchant for lifting the ass end. Additionally, sway-bars and some RS3's are definitely coming up after the Coilovers. :bigthumb:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Changed my mind, sold the Borg Warner and the 30r setups and opted for something a little more... OEM-ish. lol.

The last of the last of the Mopar/Mitsubishi Stage 3R turbofolds, BNIB, Mine. Couldn't pass it up, as it is by far the best setup (IMO) for a Daily Driver/Weekend Warrior skittle. On slicks and E85, I'm still shooting for low 12's. I'll gladly accept scraping by with some 11's. ;)

Anyway, engine and Trans are ready to be pulled today, whereupon I'll finally be able to toss all of the new shit in. Here's to having it back together by next weekend! (Before I shoot myself from having to drive the goddamn balls slow Ranger.)

(I still need to get the other 7/8ths of my tools, boxes and equipment into the new place's garage...)

:jg:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Oh yeah. lol.

Lot'sa underhood shit, Driveline shit, Fuel shit (Cornfun!), Suspension shit, Replacing sections of the Engine Harness, etc, etc. Yada, Yada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdpSoSuPcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSm0bDoHCdw

Yeah... I lose traction until fourth. Which I guess is fine, given that's a pretty good sign I'm close to where I wanted at the wheels. (It starts with the number "Four".)

I've got a 2-Step setup in the mail and a new EBC ready to install (Boost by gear!), which should help immensely with transferring all this torque to the ground. I've also got my new wheels and tires en route, the move from a 225 on a 7.5" wheel to a 245 will also hopefully help out with some traction. (Not to mention looking awesome!)

That's all for now.

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
:h5: looking good man... ill be going to a 245 as well this year trying to make the car little more drivable - also have Megasquirt, fuel and ignition this year - maybe some more depending how much of my taxes i get to keep...

Thanks brother! I'm hoping to actually have the turd out this year with you guys, instead of being stuck spectating. :bigthumb:

CoP and a RacePak dash. Do it!

Your car looks good. Nice build you've got there!

Thanks dude. :wavey:

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Good shit and have fun. The MSx's can be both a PITA and a hugely rewarding project in of themselves. I think I'll be digging out my old MS2v3 for my next project, whenever I track down a clean shell. (MKIII Supra. Because fuck FWD.)

Got some further evidence that the car is getting close to where I want it. Stomped on a C5 twice, doing some "Competetive Datalogging" from fourth gear on the Ike today. Goddamn can I not wait to get my tune finished up and for spring to arrive!

Donnie

Ethanol Junkie.
Jan 31, 2012
Uranus, Sol System
Nice work.

Thats a cute little turbo though. :D

Thanks!

MHI/Mopar OE big wheel 15g. Unmolested, capable of 4xx/4xx on a stock block/head with Ethanol, full boost by 3xxx RPM and a powerband that'd give you wood. Fuck yes, I love my Pea-Shooter! :noes:

I wish I could find my picture of it sitting next to my 30r though. It looked adorable.

thats y im paying somebody to install it and give it a base tune... i looked in the box and saw all the wires and said F that!!

You went pre-built then? I got the DIY kit for my MS2. Yikes would that give you a headache. lol. Curious though, a pre-built MS3x + install would put you near the cost of an AEM. Any particular reason you didn't go the Plug and Play route?

Some advice though, I can't remember if you're on pump/meth, or Corn. But if you'd like, MS2 and the MS3 can support a flex-fuel sensor, which though retarded expensive direct, can be found all over the place in yards now. (Fits nicely in a pocket, too!)

Also, do you already have someone lined up to do your tuning? Nearly nobody around here knows how to handle the Megasquirts, nor Tuner Studio. The auto-tune wizard on TS is fucking EPIC, but not omnipotent enough to handle everything on it's own. :bigthumb:

Thread Info