Project: E36V8

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Officially got the Donor today, so it's finally on.

f14d4ac8.jpg

I've been looking for months, and have had a hell of a time trying to meet the criteria that I wanted. Finally picked this one up last night and am pretty happy with what I picked up (despite the laundry list of work it needs).

It's a 1997 318I manual Sedan. Green with Tan Manual leather interior, no sunroof, no extra crap, just about perfect.

I had 3 main pieces of criteria when hunting:

I wanted a Sedan for the sleeper effect, rigidity, and practicality. (No sunroof helps even more with weight/rigidity)

I wanted a 5 speed so I wouldn't have to figure out how to convert the BMW on top of the engine swap.

I wanted a 92-95 that was nearly, or completely Rust Free (These things are known for rear strut tower failures with rust), and to avoid emissions.

I couldn't meet that last piece of criteria year wise (so I'm registering the car out to my PO box out in the boonies). This car doesn't look to have been a midwest car (Clear coat peeling, and no rust, even the underside is clean). I bought it with the understanding that it has a warped head/headgasket, but I'll confirm that later (got it for a good enough price that I don't really care, but it can't hurt to see if it is repairable before pulling out so I can sell the motor for a bit more). In the end, the only real 'Cons' of this specific car is that I'm sure I'm going to blow this diff to pieces, but there are enough M3 diffs floating around that I can slap one in for reasonable money. There is also a bunch of typical E36 issues (Broken door handles/trim, hazard lights not working, and some other nick nacks).

f17da896.jpg

da9c3f3c.jpg

59b84f1b.jpg

And the goodies:

Engine Details:
FRPP Aluminum GT-40X heads
ProForm 1.6 Roller Rockers
CompCams Double roller timing chain
CompCams Hydro roller lifters
CompCams K35-349-8 Camshaft *Specs below*

cam.jpg

The Motor
IMG_13061.jpg

93 Mustang T5 with a Hurst Shifter:
IMG_13071.jpg

BBK Shorties:
IMG_13081.jpg

The cam was picked for a boosted application and already installed (this motor had a blower on it in my old Ranger), so I'll go a bit more wild once it's off and running.

Last edited:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
now this will be a cool swap, it would be cooler with a 5.3 turbo swap but still cool

A company called "Vorslage" or something along those lines sells LS swap kits for E36's, but the kit alone is north of $3000, while the 5.0 kit is 1/10th the cost.

sweet project. what are the specs on the SBF thats going into it?

It's in the Blue Oval thread I made last week, I asked a Mod/admin to merge the threads so I keep the duplicate info down and don't turn this into another Ranger thing where I make a new thread weekly on something else. I've updated the first post with pics/details.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I am interested in this. Do it right, and please don't take forever.

I'm hoping to have this knocked out before the end of July mechanically (so on the road and driving). I'd like to take it to the drag strip this year to see what is going to break when I give it hell. I wanted to have the car before the move so I could start right away after moving.

It will probably take a year or two to get it exactly where I want it (be able to handle strip, Auto-X, and Track use reliably/well).

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Just about everything has already been done, it's just a matter of wanting to do something already very unique and make it my own. Like V-8 swapped Fieros :noes:

Even if something has been done, there's something about buying a swap kit off someones shelf and following someone elses directions that just make it less unique IMO. I think its a cool project, I was just expecting you to come up with something super abstract that you felt like doing because you were bored and you could.

Im not trying to knock your project, sorry if it comes off that way.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Even if something has been done, there's something about buying a swap kit off someones shelf and following someone elses directions that just make it less unique IMO. I think its a cool project, I was just expecting you to come up with something super abstract that you felt like doing because you were bored and you could.

Im not trying to knock your project, sorry if it comes off that way.

It does, Lol. but life goes on.

Not to belittle my Ranger project, but bare in mind I put a 1998 FORD motor into another 1998 Ford. The only thing that was 100% custom was the motor mount brackets, and those blueprints I was given from a member. Everything else was reading wiring diagrams and figuring out small differences, and researching the rest.

Either way, how many Ford SBF BMW's roam around your area? Let alone an E36 :dunno:

I figured going with a 4 door made it something a bit more unique as well, as the majority of the ones I've seen were all coupes. It will get my own flavor as the build progresses either way.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
It does, Lol. but life goes on.

Not to belittle my Ranger project, but bare in mind I put a 1998 FORD motor into another 1998 Ford. The only thing that was 100% custom was the motor mount brackets, and those blueprints I was given from a member. Everything else was reading wiring diagrams and figuring out small differences, and researching the rest.

Either way, how many Ford SBF BMW's roam around your area? Let alone an E36 :dunno:

I figured going with a 4 door made it something a bit more unique as well, as the majority of the ones I've seen were all coupes. It will get my own flavor as the build progresses either way.

Lol I have never seen one. When I originally saw this I thought you were just gunna do your own thing, and that was really cool. I guess it was just a little disappointing to know that its been done, and well documented, before.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Please say injected?

This project has some potential of being interesting...

Yup, EFI, A9L Fox ECU/Ig setup.

May even slap a snail or two on it if there is space for it in the nose, but that won't be decided until the motor is in the nose and I've brought it to Good Fellas for some exhaust work. Since I don't have injectors/MAF/TB/Intake manifold yet, I have a good level of flexibility still with the direction of the project.

Either aiming for 300whp NA, or 400-450 with some low boost, but boost will only happen if it can happen for reasonable $$$

Either way I want to be in the diff-exploding range of power.

Thread Info