For this:

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0711.jpg

To go into this:

09ee7086.jpg

312858_10150774228255332_685625331_20428773_7893654_n.jpg

b93433f8.jpg

I know I'll get flak, and plenty have already stressed their negative opinion, but I already have the engine, I already have the platform, I'm gonna have some fun. :dunno:

Specs for those who don't know about the engine and truck:

My 1998 ranger had this motor in it and had a slew of issues between tuning problems, emissions, and the poor condition of the body I scrapped it early November 2011.

Engine:
GT-40P Headed 5.0 V-8 from a 1998 ford explorer
M90P Headunit X-Charger at 8PSI
46lb injectors
Walbro 255LPH fuel pump
K+N Panel filter in stock intake
A/C Deleted
ProForm 1.6 Roller Rockers
CompCams Double roller timing chain
CompCams Hydro roller lifters
CompCams K35-349-8 Camshaft *Specs below*
cam.jpg

Truck:
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
5 speed/2wd
White on grey
Black Cragar "Soft 8's"

I purchased this truck from its first owners at 106K miles late in 2009. I ended up trading it to a friend in May of 2010. My friend put $1000 into suspension and tires, and then unfortunately bent the shift fork inside the transmission over winter of 2010. I bought it back and had the transmission repaired with a fresh clutch and have been using it as my daily driver since late spring.

Plans:
Buy an M5OD-R2 Transmission to put behind the motor
Torque Monster Headers
SCT and a real tune
Basic fresh coat of paint.

Goals:
13.XX my first time out with it, I'd like to snag a 13.5 or better on my regular wheels, and 350whp/400wtq without nitrous or alky.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Doing the head gaskets ey?

I did the Felpro top end kit, and I dunno what gasket part number came in that kit, so better safe than sorry. I'm going to bring the block and heads into my GF's machine shop to get the surfaces checked out too for good measure.

The 9333PT1 felpro gasket comes HIGHLY recommended with ARP Bolts, people pushing 20+ PSI on that combo. Cometic gaskets are actually not recommended due to me being boosted because most people rather have a HG fail instead of internals fail with boost.

On a random side-note, I'm a bit annoyed that the clutch doesn't come with the damn alignment tool... that is 50 cents worth of plastic :angrys00ls:.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I was thinking the same thing. Any clutch set should come with the tool.

Were you thinking low and mean or prerunner for this one?

1.5 drop from explorer express for sure. It's a small drop, but helps handling drastically and keeps stock geometery and ride quality.

Low priority though, #1 is headers and getting it tuned the right way the first time!!!

Then visual/suspension stuff.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
On a random side-note, I'm a bit annoyed that the clutch doesn't come with the damn alignment tool... that is 50 cents worth of plastic :angrys00ls:.

i got the same clutch for my civic and it didnt come with the tool even tho it was pictured with it, oreillys was the only place near me that had it in stock and they wanted $30 :rofl: , i got it from amazon for $10 which is still a huge ripoff but what r u gonna do

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Good luck, should be fun.

Question... Weren't you just looking to buy an explorer sport... yet you've had this one since spring?

Missed this post earlier. I've had this truck since June or so, but initial budgeting was $2500+ to get a solid T5 setup swapped into it. And with that the shifter location would be in a less than ideal location, and I'd still have to get some things fabbed up. So I was originally planning on buying an automatic 99+ Explorer sport once the ranger was gone. That way I could have retained my fuel rails/system *99+ is returnless like the ranger*, ECU *98-01 shares wiring*, and transmission.

Then I found that the M5OD-R2 trans used for all 97+ F-150's (F-150 4.2 V-6 5 speed specifically shares bell housings with the 5.0's) works the same, uses the same EXACT throw-out system/hydrolics, and even sits in the stock explorer location, and can be had for $300 with a 90 day warranty from several local yards.

So $300 transmission + $100 in junkyard wiring and a set of fuel rails allows me to use my setup in this truck. I also had a spare 1996 V-8 ECU laying around from when I parted out a donor truck 2 years ago. Obviously there are a bunch of other costs associated with it (Clutch, bolts, flywheel, etc from my first post), but it will look/feel stock. From my first post you can see I have about $600 into everything minus the Transmission and wiring, so it'll end up at about $1000 to get a 5 speed behind my motor with a good aftermarket clutch, fresh everything, and it will look damn near stock when its done.

Looks good, like this more than ranger.

Oh, and keep body as is... great contrast against the white

The idea of body matching the lower cladding it would give the illusion of the car being lower, and having less wheel gap. Come spring I'll decide on what to do, right now I just wanted to toss the wheels on it so I could sell the stockers.

I already like this project more than the ranger... I need to get the rest of the windows tinted!

looks good :bigthumb:

I don't see this thing pulling me though ;)

I think it will be close :s00ls:

Thread Info