My Suburban

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Right now just normal maintenance and fixing it up. It needed a few small things and still needs a few more. We don't drive it much so it is not a top priority to fix. The most annoying thing that needs to be fixed is the radio and lights stay on so I have to use the Dome Override and be sure that I see the radio go off or the battery goes dead, like it is now. It also has an SES light for CAT efficiency, not a high priority.

One of the mirror housings is broken so I am going to get towing mirrors like K J. I will be getting bags for the rear. This vehicle was purchased to tow our horse, still need to get a trailer. I would like to change out the wheels eventually, I do not like this style, and go to a 17" or 18"(not sure 18s exist) steel wheel. I also needs a new front air deflector. I would love a small lift, but it would not be ideal for towing. I would also love to go to stronger axles and suspension, aka swap in the 2500 gear, to get a lower axle ratio for towing.

All pipe dreams. I will ideally keep it running. If I had a 2500 diesel I would be more inclined to go crazy so maybe once this one earns its keep I will upgrade to a 3/4 ton. I don't know if it will be a diesel since they stopped making them in 99. Time will tell. I do know I like it more than a truck. The dogs love it, just need to come up with a step for the back because they have a hard time getting up that high and I need to give them something to step on.

So far we love it. I wish it was better on gas, but oh well. lol

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I wish I had diesel fuel economy. I am expecting like 12-13 city and 17-18 hwy. Honestly though I am only a quarter tank into our first tank. We have only put 150 miles on it in the first 2 months of ownership.

Efans add mpgs, power, and reduce warm up time in the winter. And it is not an expensive mod either.

It is really nice to have around. Makes the cargo trailer I have kind of pointless now. Might look into selling that, but then again I can use that for different stuff so I will probably keep it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I need one of those actually. We give the dogs the whole back end and if we have people in the back seat I have no storage room. LOL look at my pics. I sandwich the third row between the divider and the second row. I have a Saint Bernard that is 130 lbs and a Great Dane that is 100 lbs so I need to fold that up.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I wish I had diesel fuel economy. I am expecting like 12-13 city and 17-18 hwy. Honestly though I am only a quarter tank into our first tank. We have only put 150 miles on it in the first 2 months of ownership.

Efans add mpgs, power, and reduce warm up time in the winter. And it is not an expensive mod either.

It is really nice to have around. Makes the cargo trailer I have kind of pointless now. Might look into selling that, but then again I can use that for different stuff so I will probably keep it.

i get 15. not great but not horrible. i have 4.10 gears tho too and 32.5" tall tires.

Farm and Fleet had one on sale for <$40 w/a 500# capacity. :fy:

:fy: farm and fleet ftmfw.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Oh I know, just thinking of rust is all, not the weight. I just checked their site and I don't see anything. :-(

My tires are not stock, but not as big as yours. 265 75 16s I think. I believe my rear gear is 3.73? I wish I had 4.10s.

K J has Efans, all the newer trucks do. K J you have a 5.3 in yours right?

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007

Magical codes.... And Yup 3.73- RPO GT4.

Interestingly this gives me 6k of towing with the 5.7 in a 1/2 ton... Which is pretty high for a 99 suburban.

Here is the chart from the book...

I would have expected the 3/4 ton to have better towing. I believe the 2000+ trucks were capable of 12000lbs properly equipped. I really want that 4.10!

Thread Info