1982 Mercedes-Benz 300D "Refresh"

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well, as some of you know, I ended up buying a Mercedes 300D on Sunday as a Daily Drive gas saver. The car is in amazing shape for the year, and has just under 220,000 miles on it, which is about half-life for this drivetrain.

I bought it from the 2nd owner, who had owned the car for the past 15 years and 100,000 miles. I have all maintenece records handwritten in a booklet from the past two owners.

I'm essentially going to be turning it into the "ultimate daily driver" by my standards. It will be getting full maintence performed, all leaks fixed, a complete detail, and the stereo from my Jeep transfered over. I've also got a few little fixes to make.

-guage cluster backlights do not work
-blower motor does not work
-A/C does not work (not sure if I'll fix this depending on cost of parts)
-needs a drivers front turn signal lens
-needs stock springs for the front because the previous owner accidently bought and installed lowering springs on the car :hsugh:

The stereo will be an Alpine CDA-105 Head unit. Not the greatest, but it was what I could afford at the time after my previous one was stolen. Subwoofers are Alpine Type R-12's in a sealed box with the new Alpine MV-1000 Mono amp powering them. I have Polk DxI 6.5" Speakers in the doors of the Jeep, but have yet to check what size they are in the Mercedes. If they fit, I'll switch them. If not, I'll buy new ones. All wiring will be redone (subs and door speakers) and will be using Kicker wiring for the subwoofers.

I will also be installing a boost guage so that I can begin adjusting the boost settings and finding a happy medium between retaining gas mileage and getting a little more power out of it :D

These are the only pics I have for now, I'll get some better ones in the near future.

IMAG0258.jpg

IMAG0261.jpg

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Interesting dd. How much did it cost u?

Interesting yes, the car is comfortable as all hell too lol. I got it for $1,500 strictly because I was in the right place at the right time.

should treat you well Frank-o. My buddy has had a couple diesel mercedes and they go for 300K plus easily !

gas this morning, 4.45 for 87 and 4.19 for diesel.
:jg:

It's 4.45 for 87 and 4.06 for diesel at the BP in Lake Zurich :fy:

Harlem/Dempster?

I was driving over there on Sunday, but no, I got the car at a classic/ antique car show on the Lake County fairgrounds.

I :nutz: off of old school mercedes.

Oh, Me too... I love old school euro cars. I actually was just looking around for a clean E30 BMW 325is when I came across this thing, Always been more of a BMW guy for sure, but Mercedes cars have been growing on me steadily over the past year lol.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
I never would have thought about one of these for a DD. How big is the trunk? And can they be found manual?

The trunk space is great... I'll still have a good amount of room once the sub box goes in. They CAN be found in manual, that being said... good luck. Your best bet is to try and find a 240d (the 4cyl diesel) because those most commonly came with manual. To find a 300d (5cyl 3.0L diesel) with manual would be a feat all its own lol.

RICH17

Dr. Pussy Slayer, MD
TCG Premium
Nov 14, 2008
The 007
Real Name
Adam Rich
Not going to be doing a WVO on this one... Honestly i'm fine with getting 30mpg on diesel. Alot of problems come up with WVO as well, mainly, your car essentially gets high cholesterol and all of its "arteries" become blocked. Not something I want to have to deal with in our temperate climate lol.

LOL Its alot of work but youd be almost at zero emission. Which would be awesome

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Damn man, that is clean as hell. I heard of some newer veg oil systems are like a hybrid though. Motor starts on diesel, switches to run on oil, then runs for a min or two after the car is turned off to cycle diesel through the lines to keep them from clogging. Makes sense to me at least.

You're correct. The kits typically contain a secondary 2-3 gallon tank for diesel, and the veg oil is put into the vehicle's original fuel tank. But like I was saying, this still can strain the system, unfortunatley. The fat content in the oils builds up, not just from climate change, but from normal flow and use, and can eventually gum up the system. Detergents are made the break down the fats in the oil, but their effectiveness is still in question. I've done alot of research into it. Not saying it can't be done obviously, It'll just bring unnecessairy headache in the long run.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Just placed an order for the right rear door molding and the driver front turn signal light. Going to be getting some OEM springs, front and rear brakes, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, turbo gasket, and an injector gasket kit for it shortly. Going to be a busy Sunday, but she should be 100% leak free, sitting level and lookin' like the day she rolled off the line by then! Once this car is good to go, I'll actually be able to start saving some money. As I calculated it, by owning this car, I will save roughly $125.00 a WEEK on gas as opposed to driving the truck. :fy:

Thread Info