...It only took 5 months. My new Daily Driver!

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Some of you may (or may not) remember my posting in the General Discussion area that I was looking for a car. I thought a VW Beetle Turbo S would be cool, but then some of you chimed in that they weren't of the greatest quality. I really appreciated the unput that EVERYONE had. Even though some mentioned how gay they thought the VW Beetle is, it was all taken in stride. Though I was thinking about doing an EVIL HERBIE deal in Flat Black, this is what the shell of the car would have looked like:

Beetles04.jpg

Since Late October, I have been looking for a decent 2000 - 2002 Firebird (or maybe an Orange Camaro SS with a Hurst 6 speed). I wasn't too overly picky about if it had to be a V6 or V8, but it HAD to have a stick. Since I started looking, this is the FIRST V6 Firebird I have found with T-Tops that wasn't over 1600 miles away...LITERALLY...1600 MILES!

...so, here it is:

Firebird_04.jpg

Firebird_03.jpg

There is actually a very slight, very minor dent/crease from the drivers door, to the fuel door.
It's actually hard to get it to show up in the photo. VERY SIMPLE FIX

Firebird_01.jpg

Firebird_06.png

What it is:

2000 Pontiac Firebird
3800 V6 mated to a T5 manual trans..

Stats:

86,724 miles (when I got it home)
Est. 20 city, 32 hwy
RED with a BLACK Cloth interior
------the cloth kinda looks like carbon fiber
P/S, P/W, remote Mirrors, Monsoon Stereo w/ Power antenna, etc. etc. Bought from a private party - $4,450*
All of the dust, dirt and candy smell "air freshener" stink was free

* Not including tax or title.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
heads/cam/spray and that will knock into the 13.5 club NO PROBLEM

I've got a bare set of heads, a set of Intense 1.9's and a Nitrous Works Kit with a Edelbrock Progressive Nitrous Controller. I'm contemplating selling the 1.9's to get a cam. With the $$$ from my old GTP, I was thinking about porting the heads and going with 1.9 intake valves and 1.6 exhaust valves w/ 105# springs and a good set of Titanium retainers.

Or I could just turbo it...

Not 100% sure how it will end up

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Haha, I'm upset. You should have bought my Fireturd <--:rofl:. But it wasn't what you were looking for I guess. Black, TTop, V6, Automatic, 1997....

Sigh, would have sold it to you for $3500 too.... Tisk tisk.

Just out of curiosity, what color is the interior and how many miles?

Thanks, but there are actually 3 things wrong with it. First, it was older than what I was getting rid of (1999 GTP with 110 on the clock and a bad trans), it's an automatic (hate them) and it's Black. I have a black car and NEVER AGAIN. You wash the darn thing and it's dirty 3 seconds later. The ONLY car I would ever get and have it be black is an original Bandit Edition T/A.

POS Neon

Wang So Hard You Get Heart Mumer
May 10, 2009
NorthLake
Just out of curiosity, what color is the interior and how many miles?

Thanks, but there are actually 3 things wrong with it. First, it was older than what I was getting rid of (1999 GTP with 110 on the clock and a bad trans), it's an automatic (hate them) and it's Black. I have a black car and NEVER AGAIN. You wash the darn thing and it's dirty 3 seconds later. The ONLY car I would ever get and have it be black is an original Bandit Edition T/A.

Yeah I think it would have been kinda hard to sell it to you being Auto and older. And I agree with you on the black, P-I-T-A!

It has 92,xxx and charcoal gray cloth interior

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
good pic up doc!

It's not a pick-up. this is the closest thing I have to a "pick-up":

TA4.jpg

Why not get a v8 formula? I imagine they are a bit more available with a 6speedfor just a little more moola.

I could, but the ones I was tending to find were really low mileage. The last thing I want to do is take a nice low mileage car and destroy it by adding miles. It would have been nice to have a V8 and 6-speed, but I wasn't about to fork over $20K+ for a used car.

:werd: I could never own a v6 camaro/firebird or mustang. Even to use it as a daily driver. But nice getting the manual trans and t-tops.

I hear ya! But I could always turbo the car for around $1,500. With other parts and supporting mods, maybe add another $500 (keeping in mind that I still have a few extra parts for the 3800 platform.) To each his/her own.

Sweet. I've always wanted a 3800 f body for some reason.

I just wanted a RWD car with a stick. The fact I managed to get a Pontiac 4th gen. F-Body is a bonus. It's not a terribly fast car, but being I dumped opver $200 worth of fluids into the trans. of my 3800 S/C GTP since January and now gas will be $.20 to $.25 per gallon cheaper, my pocket book likes this car already.

...$3,700 - aprox. trade in value for a GTP that has some cancer issues starting
.+$2,000 - rebuilt trans for the GTP
...$4,700

...$4,450 - price of "new" car
.+$1,250 - taxes, title, new front tires and alignment
...$5,700

For about $1,000 I get a car with a stick, T-Tops, better gas mileage, cheaper gas bill, almost NO RUST, maybe some poon and 30K less miles...al for the same insurance rates. In 2 years, I'm ahead of the game.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
noice!...and turbo e85 for sure

That would be part of the long term plans for the car. I think it would be fun to set up the car for road racing, which would include (probably in this order):

- Jegster Adj. Torque Arm
- Alum. Drive Shaft
- Alum. Flywheel
- Centerforce Clutch
- T56 (6-Speed) tans. upgrade
- WS-6 suspension upgrade
- Wider wheels (possibly Camaro, Z06 or FR500 style)
- Subframe
- remove rear seat, install "X" body reinforcement, rollcage
- Turbo setup with Cam. with :
- - - Nitrous w/Progressive N2O Tuner
- - - 1.8 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves w/ 130# springs and Titanium retainers
- - - Tune
- Custom exhaust w/ exits before rear wheels molded into the lower body fascia.
- Firehawk (or similar) hood
- Re-spray w/ mild ghost flames coming from fender and hood portholes.

-

-

Thread Info