My 98 T/A LQ4 build thread

My 98 T/A LQ4 build thread ( 2 Video's Up )

Well since this is a build thread and will be on-going for a while, and since I only have enough cash flow for one big part at a time it will be a while. I promise you this will not be boring at all..........So lets start with when I got this baby...I call her Amy...

This is the condition I bought her in, from another member on here
Kinda sad, this was the exact collage used in the selling post.
collage.jpg

In my garage
PA270791.jpg

I got her rode worthy soon after, took off and sold the rusty old pacesetters and replaced em with the stock stuff so I could pass emissions
P4180858.jpg

Then when I graduated in '09 from high school I was promised a car for it but seeing as I already had 1 the deal came to be that on my birthday I'd get a paintjob, and so I did. But before I got on I had to decide on a color, I searched for weeks on Tech searching for a color I liked then I came across a color that really popped out at me in the For Sale section, a color called Dragons Breath and I imediately fell in love with the color, It was a 2 tone color that would change from red to black depending on the light.

The next delema was finding a shop that was resonably priced to what was afforbable at the time.........Believe it or not Maaco was the winner and had that color just a different name called Formal Red by Sherman Williams

Pic time: This wasn't what anyone was expecting but it came out better than I thought
P7200829.jpg

P7240839.jpg

I thought it was pretty neat that this came out a few minutes after I got there
P7240842.jpg

Here you can see most of the colors, yes I know molding was missing
P7290865.jpg

Then last year I was heading down to So IL to see a friend and all of a sudden the trans went into passing gear(3rd) and it would shift into 4th so I pulled into the rest stop to see if anything was leaking and put the t-tops back on since it started leaking, the as I was about to leave I put it into reverse and I heard was grinding and I wasn't moving anywhere, put it into neutral and pushed it out of the spot, put it into drive it shifted HARD then got up to 3k rpm and it shifted hard again....So what happened is it overheated and blew up some planetaries and I lost Rev, 2nd, and 4th. I turned around and cruised home doing 80mph in 3rd gear and I made it, then drove it to work since I was going to take off the weekend but since that happened I figured I needed as much cash as I could get.

I talked to Finish Line Transmission and learned that their literally 15 minutes away from me, I ended up getting a Level 4 build from them just incase I wanted to do and engine mods later it be backed up. But on install I forgot to put the top hat for the dipstick and it overheated due to leaking trans fluid, so I had to bring it back to them again and dish out more cash for my screw up. Remember always check and recheck your work if you don't you WILL be doing it again.

Pic time
nw1.jpg

New tans with goodies
newtrans.jpg

Proof
nt2.jpg

Well D-day came for the engine shortly, and I did eventually make the trip to my friends but a week after I discovered there was a crack in the block covered up by jb-weld. It was a stress crack when someone ran Nos through it. But ten on the way to motorcycle class on the highway I missed the exit and was already running late so I turned around floored it, and it went to 7k RPM's no rev limit, no nothing, it went silent, then I noticed it shut of , I through it in neutral a tried cranking it over since I bypassed my NSS, Nothing. I coasted at 80 mph from the far left lane across 6 lanes of traffic to the shoulder, and waited for a tow. I took a look under the hood and pulled off the Slp lid, Once I noticed coolant and oil mixed I knew the engine was done.

Last edited:
So if any of you viewers are following/reading this you'd notice no engine pics except the 1st 2, So here we go the engine swap from very beginning to where I am now

Stopped progress on my ground up rebuild of my 86 Trans Am, and pushed it to the far side of the garage and threw the rest of storage to make room for another roomate.
dontask.jpg

Then onto putting Amy into the garage, sorry for the trippy picture I started working on her almost immediately
trippy.jpg

Up the body goes, out the engine comes
itsout.jpg

There it is
yesitsmissingawheel.jpg

I pulled the heads and found out what happened, one of these things are not like the other one popped into my head right away
missingsomething-1.jpg

And the money shot, ME....I know what your thinking, how cliche< did I spell that right?
uhoh-1.jpg

I picked my LQ4 up this passed Saturday from another Tech member, a lovely 8 hour drive there and back, perfect timing to go to work, but it was well worth it
PC241570.jpg

PC241571.jpg

Any good?
PC241573.jpg

All cleaned up and ready for paint
PC241575.jpg

One side primed with Rustoleum Engine Primer
1sideprimed-1.jpg

Then Painted it to match the car color....hehe, 79 Bronco in the background
PC241578.jpg

The intake and fuel rails were next, same color
ls1intakepainted.jpg

More to come later today, I have to go to sleep, wake up and see if I'm up to freezing outside again

little advice if your using the stock accessories and keeping the alternator in stock location, drill and tap the mounting hole BEFORE you drop the motor in. I just put an LQ9 in my 98 formula and was in a hurry n forgot to do that step. 11/32 drill bit, m10x1.5 tap

Do you possibly have a little write up on this or know where to find it? I really don't want to end up doing this twice.

As an update there really isnt one, My bike slid out from under me going around a curve Tuesday morning and I have been recovering my right leg from a bad knee sprain 20* weather is not the best to ride in on sport tires.

I will be ordering my LT headers once I get my direct deposit in an hour. Also some little supension goodies, and maybe if there's enough money left over I'll get new speakers for my system :drums:, I know that stage is a little down the road but might as well prepare for it, plus I'll keep myself busy taking apart and putting the interior back together.

Well it took a while since I've been recovering from my bike fall Tuesday. So today my girlfriend came over and help me tackle getting the engine in. It wasnt so easy I had to drill and tap the mounting bracket for the alternator, it was a pain since the bit is hard to find, 13/32 for a 11/32 bolt tap.

I cleaned the oil pan from the old engine that had pieces of the connecting rod in it
200520_10150139915591076_717421075_7143061_2209286_n.jpg

Then I had to get a new windage tray since the old one had a downward hole in it. Thanks Speed Inc for getting one ASAP
200633_10150139917731076_717421075_7143072_8013865_n.jpg

On go the tray and pick up tube
195917_10150140249946076_717421075_7145321_5470995_n.jpg

Then the pan
196969_10150140250231076_717421075_7145324_5615734_n.jpg

If anyone wants to know where to tap the hole its right on the end in a place that looks as it needs a hole :D
200081_10150139916251076_717421075_7143065_2602423_n.jpg

Here the tool used for it, Autozone has em for $30
199910_10150139917576076_717421075_7143071_5783289_n.jpg

Half way in getting it to clear the firewall
200172_10150140886341076_717421075_7149944_13143_n.jpg

Then all done, wouldn't have been possible without my girlfriend there.
205785_10150140887201076_717421075_7149947_3499466_n.jpg

Then tomorrow she's coming over and we'll finish putting everything on, transmission, heads, water pump, ps, wiring harnes...etc. Then to wait for Wenesday or Thurday for my Hookers to come in....yes I did not wait I want to be able to start it up right when they get installed :fluffy:

If anyone needs anymore info on making the hole for the Alt bracket, Ill get more pics up tomorrow.

Heads, Intake an wiring harness on

Thanks to my Amazing girlfriends again I was able to get the head and intake on my motor today.

Heads
untitled.jpg

And Intake
intakeon.jpg

I have to wait till tommorow for the parts store to get a part in from their hub, then I get the tranny and the rest of the accesorries back on, down to thw wire just waitin on those headers

:eek:hyea:

b00ya

AHHHH!!
Jun 10, 2008
Aurora
It is, I'm having an issue getting it off, I have to wedge the flywheel with a crow or pry bar so it stops turning when I try loosenig it :dunno:

Its easiest with a big impact but mine wouldn't take it off so I had a buddy stick a pry bar in the pulley and hold while I used a huge breaker bar to loosen the bolt. Probably gonna need someone stronger then a girlfriend to help with that one, my 240 lb friend had trouble holding it in place.

Its easiest with a big impact but mine wouldn't take it off so I had a buddy stick a pry bar in the pulley and hold while I used a huge breaker bar to loosen the bolt. Probably gonna need someone stronger then a girlfriend to help with that one, my 240 lb friend had trouble holding it in place.

once you get the starter on place a screwdriver in between the flywheel and the starter. This will lock up the crank to get the bolt loose. Once you get the bolt out go to a hard ware store and get another bolt the same pitch but about an inch to 3/4 longer and use a 3 arm puller to yank the pulley off. Works like a charm.

The only thing holding me back is getting the crank pulley off, I got the bolt off with my amazing strength and a huge breaker bar, now just getting the right puller. Also does anyone have some spare bolts that hold the tranny to the engine, I had them in a baggy but misplaced them. They are no where to be found. If you have extras please help a guy out, thanks

Thread Info